Living in Perth

Old May 7th 2007, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

IRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really nice
Default Re: Living in Perth

Originally Posted by clareh
Hi, Let me know when your free and we will sort something out. The cafe at the park on the Esplanade would be better for me so Tilly can have a kick about.
Look forward to hearing from you
Take Care
Clare
Ok, will email you when I find out when my interview is.
Looking forward to it

Andrea
Old May 7th 2007, 1:07 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,Yes would love to come.Are children welcome?please give me all the info and i will do my best to get there
Thanks so much
We meet every thusrday from 12pm onwards, kids welcome, we meet at the Quay Cafe and have a bunch of tables reserved, if in doubt ask one of the staff and they will point you in our direction.

Sam
Old May 7th 2007, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so so much for all your info. I hope by January i can tell you all about the friends i have made and what i have been up to.
Hope your time in NZ goes well. What are you doing there?
Thanks again so, so much
Clare
Hi Apols for sweeping statement....it was and thats wrong.. Sorry

Urm, in NZ because.... it felt like a good idea at the time? We wanted to have a look at NZ, and rather than go for a few weeks my other half applied for a 1 year contract. It is lovely, but I cant wait to go back home now, which is weird for me.... perhaps my itchy feet have been cured this time?

Its just like starting over AGAIN, but knowing your not here for that long so you dont apply for certain jobs and its proving difficult to get a job I want. Also its a seems a damm site more expensive, but thats probably because we are down to one wage at the moment.. So seeing NZ is reliant on me getting a job I dont want... catch 22... Bite the pillow and get on with it I guess.

I really hope you can introduce me to all your mates when I get back in Jan as well, then we can combine them and take over the world!!

ANDREA - What kind of nurse are you? Where are you looking? Ive worked at RPH, Freo and in the community so may (or not) have a contact that could be useful.
Good Luck with all lasses.

I think Myaree is okay, my mate lives there, its got reasonable transport links and things..nice parks, and is well located for Perth and Freo.
Clareh whats your o/hs business?

Andrea where in Freo are you?

Cheers

Old May 7th 2007, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

IRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really nice

Originally Posted by Birdey
Hi Apols for sweeping statement....it was and thats wrong.. Sorry

Urm, in NZ because.... it felt like a good idea at the time? We wanted to have a look at NZ, and rather than go for a few weeks my other half applied for a 1 year contract. It is lovely, but I cant wait to go back home now, which is weird for me.... perhaps my itchy feet have been cured this time?

Its just like starting over AGAIN, but knowing your not here for that long so you dont apply for certain jobs and its proving difficult to get a job I want. Also its a seems a damm site more expensive, but thats probably because we are down to one wage at the moment.. So seeing NZ is reliant on me getting a job I dont want... catch 22... Bite the pillow and get on with it I guess.

I really hope you can introduce me to all your mates when I get back in Jan as well, then we can combine them and take over the world!!

ANDREA - What kind of nurse are you? Where are you looking? Ive worked at RPH, Freo and in the community so may (or not) have a contact that could be useful.
Good Luck with all lasses.

I think Myaree is okay, my mate lives there, its got reasonable transport links and things..nice parks, and is well located for Perth and Freo.
Clareh whats your o/hs business?

Andrea where in Freo are you?

Cheers

Hi Birdie,

I'm in Oncology, have just applied for a job with the newly formed cancer network and at Charles Gardiner. Would love something at Freo but they don't have anything senior at the moment. RPH aren't advertising at present, that I'm aware of. Are you a nurse too, then?

We are renting opposite South Beach for 6 months. We love Freo but won't be able to afford to buy there. However, I think we'll be renting for some time yet. Where abouts where you in Freo, do you still have a property there?

We thought about NZ for a year too, mainly so our dog wouldn't have to do quarantine but eventually decided to just come straight here. I did think it may be difficult to get the right job for such a short period of time. Have you thought about agency, just to bring some money in?

Andrea
Old May 7th 2007, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IRBaboon
Hi Birdie,

I'm in Oncology, have just applied for a job with the newly formed cancer network and at Charles Gardiner. Would love something at Freo but they don't have anything senior at the moment. RPH aren't advertising at present, that I'm aware of. Are you a nurse too, then?

We are renting opposite South Beach for 6 months. We love Freo but won't be able to afford to buy there. However, I think we'll be renting for some time yet. Where abouts where you in Freo, do you still have a property there?

We thought about NZ for a year too, mainly so our dog wouldn't have to do quarantine but eventually decided to just come straight here. I did think it may be difficult to get the right job for such a short period of time. Have you thought about agency, just to bring some money in?

Andrea
HI

Yep, back to the old nurse bank for me, there is no agency as far as I can establish here in Hawkes Bay, were a little rural I think. Similiar probs really, no senior positions so back to being treated like a pleb. (I have to do another 3 month course and be assessed 12 times at giving IVs!!! Do I have to say anymore????????? I dont even mean Narcs, just Abx, for Narcs its another 3 courses:curse: Im afraid Im no joko. (sorry just come back from orientation and feeling a little frustrated at lack of recognition of prior learning.. Be warned you ARE going to experience this in Perth as well.. You will have to learn to do it the "Charlies" or "Freo" or "RPH" way.
(and breath.........)
I will PM you (if I can work out how to do it) with the name of one of the level 4s on the New cancer Team at SCGH, she may not be able to help, but she loves a chat and may be helpful in getting information about the project etc.

We do still have a house in Freo, fortunatly we bought 2 years ago, which at the time was a HUGE jump for us as we thought prices had peaked.. Thankfully for us, sadly for most other people that isnt the case. Our house is holiday let, close to the esplanade until we return. WGV still seems to have a few affordables around though and the walk is only 15 mins to town and beach. I LOVE South Beach, me and the south beach cafe have been friends for a while.. Hows the housing development going? Is it finished yet? Have they started building on the Marina at Coogee?

Anyway, good luck with your coffee meet ups and hopefully there will be a wine in no time at all... Best of it for the job hunting.

Cheers
Old May 7th 2007, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

HI

Yep, back to the old nurse bank for me, there is no agency as far as I can establish here in Hawkes Bay, were a little rural I think. Similiar probs really, no senior positions so back to being treated like a pleb. (I have to do another 3 month course and be assessed 12 times at giving IVs!!! Do I have to say anymore????????? I dont even mean Narcs, just Abx, for Narcs its another 3 courses:curse: Im afraid Im no joko. (sorry just come back from orientation and feeling a little frustrated at lack of recognition of prior learning.. Be warned you ARE going to experience this in Perth as well.. You will have to learn to do it the "Charlies" or "Freo" or "RPH" way.
(and breath.........)
I will PM you (if I can work out how to do it) with the name of one of the level 4s on the New cancer Team at SCGH, she may not be able to help, but she loves a chat and may be helpful in getting information about the project etc.

We do still have a house in Freo, fortunatly we bought 2 years ago, which at the time was a HUGE jump for us as we thought prices had peaked.. Thankfully for us, sadly for most other people that isnt the case. Our house is holiday let, close to the esplanade until we return. WGV still seems to have a few affordables around though and the walk is only 15 mins to town and beach. I LOVE South Beach, me and the south beach cafe have been friends for a while.. Hows the housing development going? Is it finished yet? Have they started building on the Marina at Coogee?

Anyway, good luck with your coffee meet ups and hopefully there will be a wine in no time at all... Best of it for the job hunting.

Cheers
Hi Birdie,

It is annoying that they don't recognize previous experience. I was a nurse practitioner in the UK, seeing chemo and follow up patients instead of a Dr but they won't recognize that here! I need to have completed their masters degree, never mind the fact that I have only 2 modules of my masters left to do from the UK. It sounds very frustrating, but as long as they are paying you to do what you already know, then their hard luck! Thanks for that contact name

Wow, you were clever to buy back then, prices have risen a lot since then. I don't suppose you have problems renting it out either, is it long term or short term rental?
Where is WGV? We love south beach too but it's pretty noisy here at the moment ; they are digging up the road leading to the new development, which is far from being finished! They certainly take their sweet time. They have only just started the coogee development too, doubt it will be finished before you come back!

Which island is Hawkes Bay on? We squeezed as much of NZ into 3 weeks last year, it was beautiful and we'd love to go back just to travel though

Anyway, I've blabbed enough

Cheers
Andrea
Old May 7th 2007, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IRBaboon
Hi Birdie,

It is annoying that they don't recognize previous experience. I was a nurse practitioner in the UK, seeing chemo and follow up patients instead of a Dr but they won't recognize that here! I need to have completed their masters degree, never mind the fact that I have only 2 modules of my masters left to do from the UK. It sounds very frustrating, but as long as they are paying you to do what you already know, then their hard luck! Thanks for that contact name

Wow, you were clever to buy back then, prices have risen a lot since then. I don't suppose you have problems renting it out either, is it long term or short term rental?
Where is WGV? We love south beach too but it's pretty noisy here at the moment ; they are digging up the road leading to the new development, which is far from being finished! They certainly take their sweet time. They have only just started the coogee development too, doubt it will be finished before you come back!

Which island is Hawkes Bay on? We squeezed as much of NZ into 3 weeks last year, it was beautiful and we'd love to go back just to travel though

Anyway, I've blabbed enough

Cheers
Andrea
HI Andrea
The contact I sent you will reflect pretty much what you have said, she was a nurse consultant in the UK and had similiar probs. As for me I have my Masters but its making not a blind bit of difference.
WGV is White Gum Valley, Im sure you know it, but basically its the other side of Hampton Road to the left of South Street. There are some nice character places to be had if your a bit handy with some nails, paint and a big broom.

Our house is holiday rental, so anything upwards of 2 nights, an agent manages it for us, it was by far the most economical way of renting it out, as rental prices dont seem to have risen inline with mortgages. Plus the fact we didnt have to put all our stuff in storage. So if you have any relatives coming ot visit.... let me know.... (its in a great location, for anyone else with F&F visiting Perth/Freo!! Shamless advertising)

Hawkes Bay is on the East Coast of the North Island, about 2 hours on the coast from Taupo. Its the Art Deco capital of the southern hemisphere. Its beautiful, but has black sand beaches, which dont seem the same after WA.
We do have lovely big mountains to stomp up though, (although with the wee boy dont get that far)

Anyway good luck with it, and have fun finishing the Masters, (I did mine corespondance which I dont recommend unless you have no choice)
Let us know how you get on.

Cheers Bird.
Old May 13th 2007, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone, my apologies for jumping into this discussion, but wifey and I (mid thirties, no kids) just received our visas, and we're looking at settling somewhere in Perth - preferably near to the hospital, or the University.

Any suggestions on setting up base camp (we're looking to buy) would be most welcome - wifey and I were quite partial to East Perth (apartments there were going for a median price of AUD$400 - 450K - a bit of a squeeze on the budget, but still rather manageable), but we were somewhat concerned about crime rate and safety (a bit of a fraidy cat there, I'm ashamed to say).

So, please do chip in - and many thanks in advance for any advice that you may have to offer!

xizzles & wifey
Old May 13th 2007, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by xizzles
Hello everyone, my apologies for jumping into this discussion, but wifey and I (mid thirties, no kids) just received our visas, and we're looking at settling somewhere in Perth - preferably near to the hospital, or the University.

Any suggestions on setting up base camp (we're looking to buy) would be most welcome - wifey and I were quite partial to East Perth (apartments there were going for a median price of AUD$400 - 450K - a bit of a squeeze on the budget, but still rather manageable), but we were somewhat concerned about crime rate and safety (a bit of a fraidy cat there, I'm ashamed to say).

So, please do chip in - and many thanks in advance for any advice that you may have to offer!

xizzles & wifey
Hi,
Congrats on the Visas, its a long old process isnt it, but done now..
Urm, im afraid for me Im a bit mono sighted and I always recomend Fremantle and surrounding burbs to everyone because its great from a social life point of view. It has great public transport links and is close to Freo hospital and the new hospital (Fiona Stanley Hospital being built in Murdochcomplete in 2012 I think) Its also on the train line for RPH. Depends on which University, Notra Dame is in Freo, the others have campus around Perth.
East Perth is nice but I only venture there on Australia day and for the Zoo so not much help there sorry.
It really depends on what makes you and wifey happy and feel safe. Ive recently discovered I am a complete town/city girl and along with that I accept that living in the town centre makes me more likely to come across crime, however there are always more people around... swings and roundabouts. Saying that I feel a lot safer in Freo than in Northbridge or the city.
I Recomend to everyone that they rent for the 1st 6 months or at least 3 of arrival, mainly because your head is usually somewhere up in the non sunshine state and places you have visited on holiday can soon lose their sparkle when your trying to get back after work.

Good luck with it and yell or PM if I can be of help,
Cheers
Birdey
Old May 13th 2007, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Birdey

Thanks so much for your quick reply. Renting does sound like a good idea - and if things don't work out, we could always move out ... I've never considered Fremantle, but will do an internet search for it now that you've mentioned it

Will be sure to give you a tootle if/when we end up (wherever we end up) - and thanks for the quick reply again!

Regards,
xizzles & wifey
Old May 13th 2007, 5:01 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Congrats on the Visas, its a long old process isnt it, but done now..
Urm, im afraid for me Im a bit mono sighted and I always recomend Fremantle and surrounding burbs to everyone because its great from a social life point of view. It has great public transport links and is close to Freo hospital and the new hospital (Fiona Stanley Hospital being built in Murdochcomplete in 2012 I think) Its also on the train line for RPH. Depends on which University, Notra Dame is in Freo, the others have campus around Perth.
East Perth is nice but I only venture there on Australia day and for the Zoo so not much help there sorry.
It really depends on what makes you and wifey happy and feel safe. Ive recently discovered I am a complete town/city girl and along with that I accept that living in the town centre makes me more likely to come across crime, however there are always more people around... swings and roundabouts. Saying that I feel a lot safer in Freo than in Northbridge or the city.
I Recomend to everyone that they rent for the 1st 6 months or at least 3 of arrival, mainly because your head is usually somewhere up in the non sunshine state and places you have visited on holiday can soon lose their sparkle when your trying to get back after work.

Good luck with it and yell or PM if I can be of help,
Cheers
Birdey
I think you will find the zoo is in South Perth
Old May 13th 2007, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by northernbird
I think you will find the zoo is in South Perth

Oh YES! Appears I go to E Perth even less then... Have to excuse me im disorientated as im in Kiwi land at the moment and basically Im just a bit stupid generally..

Apologies
Old May 13th 2007, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, Let me know when your free and we will sort something out. The cafe at the park on the Esplanade would be better for me so Tilly can have a kick about.
Look forward to hearing from you
Take Care
Clare
Hi Clare,

My interview is on Wednesday, so what about meeting up on Thursday or Friday. Which is better for you?

Andrea
Old May 13th 2007, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sigh, how do you all do it? The more I search on the net, the more confused I get - it's hard to even begin to imagine what life would be like, etc etc etc in the suburbs ... it's really not all that easy after all, and I thought the 'waiting for the visa' bit was the hard part ...

*despair, despair*
Old May 14th 2007, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

clareh will become famous soon enough

Oh YES! Appears I go to E Perth even less then... Have to excuse me im disorientated as im in Kiwi land at the moment and basically Im just a bit stupid generally..

Apologies
Hi, Sorry it has taken me so long to reply.I am rushing at this emailing thing lol
My Hubby is a Joiner!! Alot of work on at the moment which is fantastic as he has started working for himself since being here.He loves it so made the move worth it all the more.

Am going to try and get Tilly into the Freo Playgroup as no room for her at all in the local area.We have put a offer in on a house in Yangebup.It's not quite Freo but the best we can do on our budget.It's close to Freo and the beach so has some up points lol
I have been told it had been a rough area but alot better and fingers crossed with the new train line coming in the house price will rise in time.

Have had a few email from people from this site and it's great.I just hope it's no to late for my mental state lol

Thanks so much for all your advice and look forward to meeting you in January when you get back,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.