Life in brisbane

Old Sep 20th 2010, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Fordies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Life in brisbane

like many people on BE i am in the long que for a visa.
we are looking to move to brisbane and are traveling there for a holiday in a few weeks, it was just a quick question on the job prospects in and around brisbane i am a self-employed builder.
I like many builders in the uk cover many scopes of work ie plastering, carpentry, roofing, brickwork and ground works.
would it be worth taking a cv with me and job searching while am there !
Cheers for any help
Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:19 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life in brisbane

Originally Posted by Fordies
we are looking to move to brisbane and are traveling there for a holiday in a few weeks, it was just a quick question on the job prospects in and around brisbane i am a self-employed builder.
I like many builders in the uk cover many scopes of work ie plastering, carpentry, roofing, brickwork and ground works.
Cheers for any help
yes
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:25 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for any help
Im not a builder but would agree with my learned friend sonyawelterweight,use yer time to get that CV out there and make contacts
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:34 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Im not a builder but would agree with my learned friend sonyawelterweight,use yer time to get that CV out there and make contacts
and I second my learned friend barbie trouserfly. The difference being he would wear his high heels and pink hair and barbie clothes for his interview, whereas I'd be looking wellard.

And for gods sake don't take Ken. like he would. It does nothing for your street cred.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:36 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
and I second my learned friend barbie trouserfly. The difference being he would wear his high heels and pink hair and barbie clothes for his interview, whereas I'd be looking wellard.

And for gods sake don't take Ken. like he would. It does nothing for your street cred.
Ho bitch,i look GOOD in my sat night valley gear
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:38 pm

Ho bitch,i look GOOD in my sat night valley gear
accoding to which blind biatch is that then

they are too tight and we can see your glow worm. Not a good look mister
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:44 pm
FREE TIBET

accoding to which blind biatch is that then

they are too tight and we can see your glow worm. Not a good look mister
Scratch yer eyes out
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:51 pm

Scratch yer eyes out
i haven't got no eyes. Now your taking the mickey
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:55 pm
FREE TIBET

i haven't got no eyes. Now your taking the mickey
Stevie wonder is yer friend,now stop hijacking this thread,go and ban somebody
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:58 pm

Cheers for any help
anyway, where were we.....

Yes
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:49 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for any help
Here you'll have to pick just one of those, they don't do multi trades You can work as an odd job man & do them all but if you go down the legit licenced route then it's lust one. Beware of listing too many skills on your C.V I was a brickie in the U.K but had spent many years doing exactly the same as you [multiple trade stuff] For the last few years in the U.K I had worked doing disabled adaptations for the local authority. When I got here on a skilled visa as a bricklayer they wouldn't let me get a licence as one because my work experience for the previous 6 years had been 80% tiling.
The good news is they just lifted the maximum you can earn per job as an unlicenced contractor from $1100 bucks [labour & materials] to $3300 [labour & materials] Do take note that while you can earn that amount unlicenced customers have no obligation to pay you if your unlicenced. Builders here know that & will take advantage mercilessly so stick to private if you can.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Fordies is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers for the advice, I am hoping to do carpentry work (if we get a visa) is there much work about, i do look at the job search sites but its hard to get a idea of how much work is going on.
Cheers again
Old Sep 27th 2010, 1:33 am
Just Joined

Drinky will become famous soon enough

cheers for the advice, I am hoping to do carpentry work (if we get a visa) is there much work about, i do look at the job search sites but its hard to get a idea of how much work is going on.
Cheers again
Most definatly bring your CV, if you try and contact firms whilst in the UK you won't have much response. Better to be over here and chase up firms etc in person. Also get your name put down with employment agencies, they have loads of contacts. The Courier Mail over the weekend has a decent sized jobs section as well!!!