Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Let's spice things up by resurrecting the Gay marriage debate

Let's spice things up by resurrecting the Gay marriage debate

Old Nov 1st 2015, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's spice things up by resurrecting the Gay marriage debate

Originally Posted by GarryP
The position of the headmaster is unacceptable and his religion doesn't excuse it (hence the 'being a dick'). People are too ready to give religions a by - but as far as I'm concerned "because my religion says so" counts for zero.

And the prevalence of religious schools in this country is a crime and thus the need to explicitly stop them from imposing their views on others (you can't necessarily opt out, and shouldn't have to if your tax dollars are being used).

As I said, exam results and distance are about the only valid reasons for acceptance criteria.
Or the user chooses to opt in or opt our. The user has a choice.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

People are too ready to give religions a by - but as far as I'm concerned "because my religion says so" counts for zero.
Perhaps the visitor to the club should have just removed the attire if religious reasons count for zero.

http://m.smh.com.au/national/muslim-woman-told-to-leave-a-noosa-rsl-for-wearing-hijab-20151027-gkju4c.touch.html
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 2:41 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Perhaps the visitor to the club should have just removed the attire if religious reasons count for zero.

Muslim woman told to leave a Noosa RSL for wearing hijab | smh.com.au
Why have any rule about headgear inside in the first place?
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I thought you said something alsong the lines of religion counts for zero and stone age religious beliefs have no place any more?
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 4:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you said something alsong the lines of religion counts for zero and stone age religious beliefs have no place any more?
I'm at a loss as to why there is an article on this non event and why they are shouting about racism or Islamophobia or whatever. She was wearing something on her head in a place where they say no headgear unless valid reason. The RSL person asked her about it, she explained and all was good. What's the problem? The headline says a hijab but the RSL saw it as a headscarf. It obviously wasn't as obvious as a turban or a kippah etc.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 4:40 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

But this has nothing to do with religion. It has to do with dumb rules. An RSL is hardly a place of fine dining, and smart attire.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm at a loss as to why there is an article on this non event and why they are shouting about racism or Islamophobia or whatever. She was wearing something on her head in a place where they say no headgear unless valid reason. The RSL person asked her about it, she explained and all was good. What's the problem? The headline says a hijab but the RSL saw it as a headscarf. It obviously wasn't as obvious as a turban or a kippah etc.
It would be interesting to see if they banned the jewish skullcap - if not then they could rightly be hammered in the courts.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

But this has nothing to do with religion. It has to do with dumb rules. An RSL is hardly a place of fine dining, and smart attire.

It would be interesting to see if they banned the jewish skullcap - if not then they could rightly be hammered in the courts.
Having worked for a RSL - it's about respect.

Smart attire is also requested, no men in singlets, no rubber thongs after 7.30 pm etc. All clubs have slightly different rules to suit their community.

They ask you to remove hats as a mark of respect for the fallen soldiers. If people have an issue with it, eat elsewhere. That said, I don't believe our club would request a hijab to be removed.

If I visited a mosque and it was expected I remove my shoes, I would.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 5:55 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Because it's a mark of respect. It's a simple rule & one I don't have a problem with. I wouldn't dream of wearing a hat inside anyway. Just as if I entered a mosque I'd be expected to remove my shoes, no problem with that either.

The Noosa RSL story is pure fabrication. The woman was simply asked what it was by a staff member. At no point was she asked to leave or asked to remove the hijab. Her teammates blew the whole thing out of proportion. Our local radio station interviewed those concerned & the story was nothing like what the daily papers have printed, still another anti Muslim story helps sell a few more papers.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 6:04 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by cresta57
Because it's a mark of respect. It's a simple rule & one I don't have a problem with. I wouldn't dream of wearing a hat inside anyway.
Hmm,

Not looked at the precise wording of the aussie discrimination laws, but in the UK it would be on shaky ground to allow the hats of a particular religion and not other hats. You might be able to get away with it by allowing headgear worn for religious reasons, but it's on the edge.

It stems from religion being a protected class in discrimination terms. You can't favour one religion over another, and for the purposes of that law atheist is counted as a religion - so a hat someone free of religion might wear needs to get treated the same as a religious hat.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Because it's a mark of respect. It's a simple rule & one I don't have a problem with. I wouldn't dream of wearing a hat inside anyway. Just as if I entered a mosque I'd be expected to remove my shoes, no problem with that either.

The Noosa RSL story is pure fabrication. The woman was simply asked what it was by a staff member. At no point was she asked to leave or asked to remove the hijab. Her teammates blew the whole thing out of proportion. Our local radio station interviewed those concerned & the story was nothing like what the daily papers have printed, still another anti Muslim story helps sell a few more papers.
I've not only removed my shoes to enter a mosque, I've had to throw on a shayla and abaya.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 7:41 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm,

Not looked at the precise wording of the aussie discrimination laws, but in the UK it would be on shaky ground to allow the hats of a particular religion and not other hats. You might be able to get away with it by allowing headgear worn for religious reasons, but it's on the edge.

It stems from religion being a protected class in discrimination terms. You can't favour one religion over another, and for the purposes of that law atheist is counted as a religion - so a hat someone free of religion might wear needs to get treated the same as a religious hat.
There aren't many pubs in the U.K that allow you to enter the premises wearing hats these days are there? I assumed CCTV camera identification required the "No Hats" policy.
Nothing to do with respect there, they just want to id the hooligan chavs. Oh & the odd cancer sufferer or elderly female patrons that manage to make the news.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 7:54 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

There aren't many pubs in the U.K that allow you to enter the premises wearing hats these days are there? I assumed CCTV camera identification required the "No Hats" policy.
Nothing to do with respect there, they just want to id the hooligan chavs. Oh & the odd cancer sufferer or elderly female patrons that manage to make the news.

Where did you get that from?

None of the pubs I go in have cctv and none of them stop you wearing hats either.

I don't think I have seen any pubs with cctv in this area
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Grayling

Where did you get that from?

None of the pubs I go in have cctv and none of them stop you wearing hats either.

I don't think I have seen any pubs with cctv in this area
They might get CCTV when they get electrickery mate shouldn't be too long now.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 8:14 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

They might get CCTV when they get electrickery mate shouldn't be too long now.
Had it for ages.....that is why there are so many windmills here
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Grayling
Had it for ages.....that is why there are so many windmills here
Eeek really? Windmills in the Dales! That's plain wrong
I can see why there's little need for cctv in The Old Nags Head or The Rambler & I expect bobble hats are the norm for the hiking fraternity.
Inner city pubs populated by chavs may find CCTV invaluable hence the ban on headwear in many of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.