Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Let's spice things up by resurrecting the Gay marriage debate

Let's spice things up by resurrecting the Gay marriage debate

Old Jul 6th 2015, 12:17 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's spice things up by resurrecting the Gay marriage debate

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
That's discrimination. How are you not getting it?
It's no more discriminating than having Ladies and Gents toilets or TAFE and University. The reality is every single one of us are different. The reality is we all belong to several identifiable groups making some man-made structures more or less suited to some groups of people. It's NOT discrimination. We are not a bunch of clones with no identifiable differences requiring identical solutions for all.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 12:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I'm not lecturing.

I'm pointing out that pro Gay marriage supporters who are asking for tolerance are giving none to Paulry who has a different opinion.
I think you need to insert the word "some" between "that" and "pro".
Old Jul 6th 2015, 12:23 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
But do those who currently subscribe to the traditional marriage that you don't believe exists need to make excuses for wanting the framework they know and trust to be left as is? Maybe what the LGBT brigade should do is create their own marriage construct and invite everyone to subscribe to it instead of the traditional model? At least that way if the LGBT model turns to shite it wont take the traditional one with it.
Waaaaaayyyyy ahead of you. If you look back in this very thread, I say that I'd prefer that you didn't lump any more people into marriage as currently defined - because it was a mess of contradictions, cross purposes, and legal leftovers that caused great suffering through not actually being fit for purpose.

I'd prefer people actually worked out what marriage was for, who could be allowed to sign what, when, that the tax fiddles were removed and that the idea of 'till death us do part' didn't then make divorce a sexist battleground with bodies cast everywhere.

Of course, that fundamental reexamination and reconstituting of marriage wouldn't leave your "framework they know and trust to be left as is" - mainly because it's already 'turned to shite'.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 12:51 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Waaaaaayyyyy ahead of you. If you look back in this very thread, I say that I'd prefer that you didn't lump any more people into marriage as currently defined - because it was a mess of contradictions, cross purposes, and legal leftovers that caused great suffering through not actually being fit for purpose.

I'd prefer people actually worked out what marriage was for, who could be allowed to sign what, when, that the tax fiddles were removed and that the idea of 'till death us do part' didn't then make divorce a sexist battleground with bodies cast everywhere.

Of course, that fundamental reexamination and reconstituting of marriage wouldn't leave your "framework they know and trust to be left as is" - mainly because it's already 'turned to shite'.
Well the one I signed up to is still going strong 21 years later. You're making me wonder if I've been missing out on something - what tax fiddles are you talking about?

Your bit about people working out what marriage is all about is an interesting one. I wonder how many people these days attend pre-marriage counselling sessions?
Old Jul 6th 2015, 1:06 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Your bit about people working out what marriage is all about is an interesting one. I wonder how many people these days attend pre-marriage counselling sessions?
What I was referring to is everyone implicitly says they 'know what marriage is for' (akin to your 'traditional marriage'). However when you actually get down to it what they describe has a different shape for each.

For instance, some see it as a 'public professing of love' - ignoring that its both narcissistic and better achieved by facebook today.

Some see it as a 'partnership' - in which case it should have a purpose written contractual agreement between the parties, with the terms in black and white.

Some see it as a basis for having children and providing a stable upbringing - which doesn't work half the time and would preclude those not having kids getting married.

Then there are the god botherers, who say it is a holy undertaking before god - ignoring that many don't have the same beliefs or follow them (and they are usually included in that number)

Or maybe it's for the tax benefits and monetary advantages - better served by Mr&Mrs Plc (limited liability being key).

Some truly think it's forever, whereas most think it's 'for now'.

In short, when you say 'marriage', you can be almost certain that the other person doesn't understand the term the same way you do - a complete mess that then creates a bigger mess when those worldviews inevitably clash.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 1:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by GarryP
What I was referring to is everyone implicitly says they 'know what marriage is for' (akin to your 'traditional marriage'). However when you actually get down to it what they describe has a different shape for each.

For instance, some see it as a 'public professing of love' - ignoring that its both narcissistic and better achieved by facebook today.

Some see it as a 'partnership' - in which case it should have a purpose written contractual agreement between the parties, with the terms in black and white.

Some see it as a basis for having children and providing a stable upbringing - which doesn't work half the time and would preclude those not having kids getting married.

Then there are the god botherers, who say it is a holy undertaking before god - ignoring that many don't have the same beliefs or follow them (and they are usually included in that number)

Or maybe it's for the tax benefits and monetary advantages - better served by Mr&Mrs Plc (limited liability being key).

Some truly think it's forever, whereas most think it's 'for now'.

In short, when you say 'marriage', you can be almost certain that the other person doesn't understand the term the same way you do - a complete mess that then creates a bigger mess when those worldviews inevitably clash.
The inconsistency of opinion about what marriage means could be a contributing factor to it not being so popular these days. Plus over a relatively short time modern society has lost many of the systems that prepared people for and supported marriage. Your "for now" remark is sad if it is indeed true. It might amaze you but my wife and I believe our marriage is forever. And I'm not sure I could bring myself to marry another if my wife "went" before me.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 2:21 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Just out of interest - and you don't need to go into specifics, obviously, as this is getting a bit personal-how many posters out there have experience of partners, family members, very close friends - who are lesbian, gay, bi or trans? Has anyone been to a wedding involving members of those communities?
In other words, how many people on the thread are speaking from an experience point of view, and how many from an "outside" point of view?

As someone with a gay parent, a very close transexual family member, friends of all persuasions, and two very close gay friends who will soon celebrate 10 years of marriage this is a personal matter not a political one, as I have seen with my own eyes for many years how people suffer from being considered 'different' due to their sexual preferences. And those preferences are not something they can change, they are born with them and have them for life.
Indeed. My two gay friends here - finally recognized in the same way as everyone else as two people who wish to formalize their love and commit for life.

It's simply a rational step to take, in the US, finally.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-21943292

And these two lovely gents, in their eighties - how long have they waited? If that is not love and commitment, what is it? Why should marriage require anything else? Who would be harmed?

What possible harm is there to any heterosexuals in allowing gay people the same marriage rights?

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jul 6th 2015 at 2:24 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

It's no more discriminating than having Ladies and Gents toilets or TAFE and University. The reality is every single one of us are different. The reality is we all belong to several identifiable groups making some man-made structures more or less suited to some groups of people. It's NOT discrimination. We are not a bunch of clones with no identifiable differences requiring identical solutions for all.
I think that is a dumb post. People are different, yes. So are every couple. Are you suggesting that every couple should have their own word for being married? Making people who have been denied marriage until recently use a different word for it is a bit like allowing black people to vote as long as they write it on a different coloured voting slip. It's discrimination and also pointless. Show us why there is a point to protecting the word 'marriage' beyond your reason of tradition.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 9:44 pm
Banned

I think that is a dumb post. People are different, yes. So are every couple. Are you suggesting that every couple should have their own word for being married? Making people who have been denied marriage until recently use a different word for it is a bit like allowing black people to vote as long as they write it on a different coloured voting slip. It's discrimination and also pointless. Show us why there is a point to protecting the word 'marriage' beyond your reason of tradition.
All can use the word marriage. It's not an alien concept to have multiple kinds of marriage running side by side and having equal value. Take for example Jewish marriage, Sharia marriage, Christian marriage, marriage in community of property and marriage out of community of property - to name just a handful. Why should one group of people (heterosexuals) be bullied and cajoled into accepting the beliefs of another (the LGBT movement)? If the LGBT movement feel united enough to want one marriage then let them bloody well create one for themselves!
Old Jul 6th 2015, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

All can use the word marriage. It's not an alien concept to have multiple kinds of marriage running side by side and having equal value. Take for example Jewish marriage, Sharia marriage, Christian marriage, marriage in community of property and marriage out of community of property - to name just a handful. Why should one group of people (heterosexuals) be bullied and cajoled into accepting the beliefs of another (the LGBT movement)? If the LGBT movement feel united enough to want one marriage then let them bloody well create one for themselves!
In many countries now, the definition of marriage is not 'between a man and a woman'. Soon, Australia will be the same. Your definition will actually be wrong, regardless of your belief. Why would gay people look to create a new word (and it is quite ridiculous that you're still insisting on that) when the existing one will change for them, whether you like it or not? Marriage is marriage. If two gay people say the same vows, live by the same laws and beliefs as two straight people, how is the marriage different? The wedding will surely be very different but the marriage will be based on the same idea that your marriage was.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 10:15 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

It's no more discriminating than having Ladies and Gents toilets.
I give it two years, and there will be no male and female toilets. It makes as much sense as toilets based on race.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 10:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I give it two years, and there will be no male and female toilets. It makes as much sense as toilets based on race.
You're kidding
Old Jul 6th 2015, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung

Absolutely. And that's space in the building you can't rent out.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

In many countries now, the definition of marriage is not 'between a man and a woman'. Soon, Australia will be the same. Your definition will actually be wrong, regardless of your belief. Why would gay people look to create a new word (and it is quite ridiculous that you're still insisting on that) when the existing one will change for them, whether you like it or not? Marriage is marriage. If two gay people say the same vows, live by the same laws and beliefs as two straight people, how is the marriage different? The wedding will surely be very different but the marriage will be based on the same idea that your marriage was.
But you could have a different term ..... why not? It might be a good compromise so those who wish to achieve a union can do so. You may not agree with it, but the many out there with Paulry's opinion who don't agree with you. Compromise could be the way forward.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 10:48 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

You're kidding
There is pressure in a number of American cities to make toilets gender neutral. I see it as something that will gain traction. I never had a problem when I have experienced it when I live in Korea, where it was quite common. Here is a link to a student thesis on the subject (picked because it is from Washington - where I am, but linked to from an Australian site)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.