Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Lauching Boat in Perth - best ramp for beginners in Perth?

Lauching Boat in Perth - best ramp for beginners in Perth?

Old Jul 12th 2008, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of
Default Lauching Boat in Perth - best ramp for beginners in Perth?

We are about to take ownership of our new boat in a week or so. Being complete novices (but we now have our skippers ticket) we have no idea where would be a good place to enter the water. Living in Nedlands but willing to travel.

Also, how long does it take to launch from arriving at the ramp to being on the water and how long does it take to get it on the trailer, washed down and away? Wondering if we should pay for the boat stacking in Fremantle where you phone up an hour beforehand and the boat is sitting in the water waiting for you - then when you've finished you hand them the key and off you go? We have 4 kids under 8 so don't want them waiting around for hours to launch/trailer the boat. Is it worth it? Any thoughts?

We have a dog that we want to come too, is there a shop that sells the dog lifejackets? We saw them about 6 months ago but now we've been to a few and can't find one.

Thanks

Galba
Old Jul 12th 2008, 2:25 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lauching Boat in Perth - best ramp for beginners in Perth?

Originally Posted by galba
We are about to take ownership of our new boat in a week or so. Being complete novices (but we now have our skippers ticket) we have no idea where would be a good place to enter the water. Living in Nedlands but willing to travel.

Also, how long does it take to launch from arriving at the ramp to being on the water and how long does it take to get it on the trailer, washed down and away? Wondering if we should pay for the boat stacking in Fremantle where you phone up an hour beforehand and the boat is sitting in the water waiting for you - then when you've finished you hand them the key and off you go? We have 4 kids under 8 so don't want them waiting around for hours to launch/trailer the boat. Is it worth it? Any thoughts?

We have a dog that we want to come too, is there a shop that sells the dog lifejackets? We saw them about 6 months ago but now we've been to a few and can't find one.

Thanks

Galba
The ramp at Matilda Bay is really good and close to you. It doesn't seem to get too busy and is a good slope and low pair of jetties in protected waters so no real issue with current. I don't use the one at Maylands near the cop shop - I know a couple of people who have damaged their prop on under water rocks, although I am told it has been improved recently.

When you know what you are doing you rock up, 2 minutes to rig up (put up aerial etc) and back it down the ramp first time and are in the water in 5 minutes tops. It takes a few goes to get good though and there will always be the odd grumpy bastard complaining if you are slow. Basically the same on retrieval but there is the wash down. Personally, I wait until I get home to flush the motor and give her a spray down but you can do it on site, if you have the right hose-fitting.

You will be fine, just get the practice in at a quiet time.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 3:59 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lauching Boat in Perth - best ramp for beginners in Perth?

We use Ocean Reef and have had no problems. OH was fine, it just took me a while to catch on to what I should be doing
If you are able, try and launch during the week when it's quieter, but saying that, it's winter now and fairly quiet anyway.
If anyone is waiting just tell them you are new to boating and they will more than likely help you if you ask, if not, ignore them and take as long as you need to.
I'd give launching yourselves a go first, I'm sure you will be fine with a bit of practice. You might get a bit stressed at first until you get used to it, so it would be a good idea to keep the kids and the dog in the car until you've launched and moored up. If you can get someone to look after the kids so you can do it alone, that would be better until you get more confident.
Good luck.