Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Last UK Christmas - how did you cope?

Last UK Christmas - how did you cope?

Old Dec 26th 2005, 11:36 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Last UK Christmas - how did you cope?

Hi guys,

Well in a way we're hoping that this was our last Christmas in the UK what with Visa in hand, job lined up.....just to sell the house! Had my mum, stepdad and aunt around...the usual suspects. Sister phoned from holidaying in Barbados, kids going mad and dog gone mad! It was a bit surreal but very enjoyable. Everyone was sooooo relaxed it was a bit spooky. Lots of photos and film taken and wise words passed onto kids from my mum.

I know next year will be different and in some ways hard. My mum is my rock and I know this will be hard on her. She would love it if we would stay but has always given 100 % + to our decision which is immense. I think yesterday was special for everyone as it was another step closer to the next stage in our lives.

What about the rest of you? Was it this surreal or just plain mad?

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 26th 2005, 11:41 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Last UK Christmas - how did you cope?

Not a newbie Ginny, was our 7th Xmas here & we love it. Spoke to my Bro just down the road from you at Broughty Ferry on the phone last night & to be honest I wouldn't swap him.
I'm sure it takes a few years to get used to but this is the life.
Old Dec 26th 2005, 11:47 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Not a newbie Ginny, was our 7th Xmas here & we love it. Spoke to my Bro just down the road from you at Broughty Ferry on the phone last night & to be honest I wouldn't swap him.
I'm sure it takes a few years to get used to but this is the life.
The Ferry is literally along the road from us! Small world. Looking forward to our new life although the family thing will feel strange.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 26th 2005, 11:55 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Stitch
The Ferry is literally along the road from us! Small world. Looking forward to our new life although the family thing will feel strange.

Cheers

Ginny
Don't underestimate it Ginny, the whole thing will feel strange & you WILL miss Scotland & think og going back hundreds of times but stick with it & every year the feelings get less & less & then you get citizenship & realise your as much Aussie as you are Scottish whether your family like it or not.
Old Dec 26th 2005, 2:48 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

i was so stressed i got a naffin migraine!!! didnt quite go according to plan jed thought i was pissed
Old Dec 26th 2005, 8:32 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

all excited and can't wait to get our house on the market,should be up by the end of jan/feb it would be sooner but my wife put a stop to me decorating over christmas our kids had a few sad moments,just every now and again one of them would say this will be our last christmas here with nanna's and granddad's but apart from that they are well up for it i'm an only child and my mum and dad think i'm the most selfish bar steward to walk the earth for doing this but feckem i'm doing this more for our girls than anything else so roll on 2006 good luck to everyone for the new year and i hope you all get your visa's.
jonni
Old Dec 26th 2005, 9:03 pm
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

Hiya we felt a bit deflated this year as we should have been in Sydney for xmas but as the tosser who is buying our house still hasn't pulled his finger out we are still here had to make the most of it for our son but even he didn't feel the spirit of xmas as he has been unwell, my parents flew to Tunisia yesterday as we were not supposed to be here and the in-laws all had made plans for themsleves even though they knew on the 29th Nov that we would be here for xmas so ended up cooking xmas dinner for the 3 of us was not quite the same compared to the mad rush we have had on other years when we have had to visit both sets of parents and then spent an evening with all the family.Oh well hopefully next year will be better thomas won't have a nasty winter cold and we will be cooking on the barbie instead. Taking thomas to see Cbeebies live tomorrow so hopefully that will cheer him up a bit.

Poshrice
Old Dec 26th 2005, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

All went well ...

Me and the missus had her side (16 ppl) up for xmas dinner yeterday, and the food WAS on the table in time ...

Plenty of food, plenty of booze, and plenty of talk about Oz ...

Not long back from my mum's and all my side was there.

A bit of food, a bit of booze, and NO talk of Oz, not even a "so tell me about your holiday!" ... from ANY of them!! ...

Makes me bloody sic! ...

Still, WE DIDN'T BURN THE TURKEY YESTERDAY! .............. Yeah!!! ...
Old Dec 26th 2005, 10:03 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

We had a very quiet time as ususal, my mum was up at Dundee with my bros and family.

My hubby's family, who live about 10mins away, we haven't seen for about 6 years (wont go into details, too long, complicated and sad), so we've got used to not having family, so I don't think that will be an issue for us when we leave, right now I can't bloody wait, this time of year always reminds me of the fact we have practically no family anyway.

My sis is in the USA and she and her kids cant wait for us to move, they are dieing to visit aus.

So will probably see more of their family when we move.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 7:13 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by Margaret2
We had a very quiet time as ususal, my mum was up at Dundee with my bros and family.

My hubby's family, who live about 10mins away, we haven't seen for about 6 years (wont go into details, too long, complicated and sad), so we've got used to not having family, so I don't think that will be an issue for us when we leave, right now I can't bloody wait, this time of year always reminds me of the fact we have practically no family anyway.

My sis is in the USA and she and her kids cant wait for us to move, they are dieing to visit aus.

So will probably see more of their family when we move.
Can only echo that Margaret!!
There's only my dad and bro here, neither of them have been in touch (yes, I have tried) for nearly 2 years now, don't even know I'm emmigrating! Stuff em!!

Cant wait to send em my 'new address' email.........from Perth!! Ha!!

Xmas is usually a quiet (read - boring) affair here as well, just me, Caz and her folks for dinner then home to watch TV and get drunk!!

Have made a vow that this is going to be our last ever boring xmas......party on the beach next year!
Old Dec 27th 2005, 8:25 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by Bordy
Don't underestimate it Ginny, the whole thing will feel strange & you WILL miss Scotland & think og going back hundreds of times but stick with it & every year the feelings get less & less & then you get citizenship & realise your as much Aussie as you are Scottish whether your family like it or not.
Cheers for that, appreciate it.

Ginny
Old Dec 27th 2005, 8:25 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
Can only echo that Margaret!!
There's only my dad and bro here, neither of them have been in touch (yes, I have tried) for nearly 2 years now, don't even know I'm emmigrating! Stuff em!!

Cant wait to send em my 'new address' email.........from Perth!! Ha!!

Xmas is usually a quiet (read - boring) affair here as well, just me, Caz and her folks for dinner then home to watch TV and get drunk!!

Have made a vow that this is going to be our last ever boring xmas......party on the beach next year!
What happened!

cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 27th 2005, 8:27 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by jonni boy
all excited and can't wait to get our house on the market,should be up by the end of jan/feb it would be sooner but my wife put a stop to me decorating over christmas our kids had a few sad moments,just every now and again one of them would say this will be our last christmas here with nanna's and granddad's but apart from that they are well up for it i'm an only child and my mum and dad think i'm the most selfish bar steward to walk the earth for doing this but feckem i'm doing this more for our girls than anything else so roll on 2006 good luck to everyone for the new year and i hope you all get your visa's.
jonni
Good luck. We're hoping to put the house on the market after the new year.

Cheers Ginny
Old Dec 27th 2005, 8:28 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by poshrice
Hiya we felt a bit deflated this year as we should have been in Sydney for xmas but as the tosser who is buying our house still hasn't pulled his finger out we are still here had to make the most of it for our son but even he didn't feel the spirit of xmas as he has been unwell, my parents flew to Tunisia yesterday as we were not supposed to be here and the in-laws all had made plans for themsleves even though they knew on the 29th Nov that we would be here for xmas so ended up cooking xmas dinner for the 3 of us was not quite the same compared to the mad rush we have had on other years when we have had to visit both sets of parents and then spent an evening with all the family.Oh well hopefully next year will be better thomas won't have a nasty winter cold and we will be cooking on the barbie instead. Taking thomas to see Cbeebies live tomorrow so hopefully that will cheer him up a bit.

Poshrice
Nightmare but at least you've got CBeebies (Shhhh don't let my daughter hear you or I'll be in for it - she's 4!)

Cheers
Ginny
Old Dec 27th 2005, 8:30 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by Paul2004
All went well ...

Still, WE DIDN'T BURN THE TURKEY YESTERDAY! .............. Yeah!!! ...
Intrigued about the turkey! I take it they don't want you to go then. I think it's sad but hey you go for it.

Cheers
Ginny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.