The Knitting thread

Old May 18th 2018, 12:32 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Knitting thread

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
So kind of you. I love this site, I've received some great help and messages of support and well wishes from lots of folk.

OH would be happy to move to Oz but isn't actively looking right now. He's finding working in NZ increasingly frustrating. So I'm hoping that will spur him on. He loves wombats too and I'm using that as a carrot šŸ˜‚.

Anyway I still can't knit!
Any more talk of using a wombat as a carrot and I'm going to have to contact the RSPCA.

Nice people deserve and get support and help, and you're one of the nicest. If you were an arsehole, no one would talk to you

Bloody hell, it's 1:30am! Up the hill to Bedfordshire I go (or whatever that Pommy saying is)
Old May 18th 2018, 12:34 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Up the hill to Bedfordshire I go (or whatever that Pommy saying is)
Also known as
"Up the wooden hill"
Old May 18th 2018, 1:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Move to Perth and I'll teach you.
But you're buggering off to Canada and what if I drop a stitch after you've gone? You really haven't thought this through Dorothy
Old May 18th 2018, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Well on the bright side, at least our conversations aren't dominating the landscape today.
One gets the feeling of dropped stiches all over the place, accompanied by frustration galore, followed by hair pulling finished by language that would make a sailor blush, with this lot attempting needling at the very least.
Old May 18th 2018, 3:53 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Forward, backwards, zigzag and a built in buttonhole setting. Those are the ones I use most. I guess it depends on what you want to sew . I do quilting with mine with occasional dressmaking for the littles. Mostly quilts though so I don't need anything fancy. I used to do loads of sewing when my kids were small.
Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I got my sewing machine from Aus Post! You know how they pile random stuff around the queue line so you've got something to look at whilst in the never ending queue. It was $99 and is more than fine for curtains, cushions etc. I've made a couple of dresses but could really do with an overlocker but can't decide if it's worth it. Will it only get used a couple of times or will, because I have it, get used stacks? There are normally good machine at decent prices in Spotlight. Hate hate hate the shop but needs must.
Thanks ladies - Spotlight are tempting me with talk of their sale, I might have to have a proper look/research when we get back from the UK.
Can't see me making anything heavy duty like curtains, it's most likely to be simple tops and dresses and such like.
Old May 18th 2018, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I trust that the Purl through back loop continental style, is as intriguing/ if not ever so slightly infuriating stich to other knitter fanciers as it is to me?
Old May 18th 2018, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I tried about a year ago and I remembered bits but the tension was all wrong and I got frustrated and gave up.

Not too bad thanks. Got a bad case of the anaesthetic blues in the past week, which is normal for me but hard to go through. Pain is generally ok, gets worse in the evening especially if I'm bloated. Main pain is in my hips and thighs especially on the right side. I've lost a lot of muscle mass over the 2+ years of having the mesh in, so it's a case of trying to build that back up gradually. Try to go for a wee walk most days and have physio exercises to do. I'm also down about being back in NZ, it always takes me a while to settle when I get back here. The crap housing, cost of food etc and the lack of choice always gets me down. I'll get over it eventually. Do wish the OH could get a job in Melbourne or somewhere nice in the UK.
Sorry to hear about your enforced ā€œleisureā€ time and hope you can recover enough to get some sort of crafting mojo back! Yes! Iā€™m a knittaholic - never saw myself as a knitter at all until I got carpal tunnel and couldnā€™t hold a needle to cross stitch. And I had grandkids so was sort of duty bound to do the nana knitting thing if only to show willing. However, itā€™s probably the best thing I have done ove4 the past 10 years - itā€™s been a fabulous social entree and being in local knitting groups has helped me make new friends back here in U.K. If you have a local yarn shop they may have courses to help you get started with knitting or crochet and, if not, YouTube has loads of very explicit videos (I usually head for those by Very Pink Knits).

I find knitting very relaxing and once I had convinced myself that I could knit and purl it all sort of fell into place because all knitting is just either knit or purl after all and take it one stitch at a time. These days there are some nice patterns (shawls are funky and fun) that are just garter (knit) but you can find yarn that does all the work. I find socks really easy too nowadays (I can knit 1.3 socks from Canberra to Cambridge). We are probably not supposed to mention other boards but the knitting/crochet community equivalent of Facebook is called Ravelry and youā€™ll likely find knitters in your area who will welcome you into the fold.

Attached Thumbnails The Knitting thread-f8271de8-6b1a-496a-8e70-ddf18d3c3492.jpeg  
Old May 18th 2018, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I trust that the Purl through back loop continental style, is as intriguing/ if not ever so slightly infuriating stich to other knitter fanciers as it is to me?
Argh the dreaded ptbl! Iā€™m crap at continental anyway but ptbl is hard enough English style! I now do Norwegian purl if I need to do Continental but not yet needed to do it tbl.
Old May 18th 2018, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by quoll

Argh the dreaded ptbl! Iā€™m crap at continental anyway but ptbl is hard enough English style! I now do Norwegian purl if I need to do Continental but not yet needed to do it tbl.
Perhaps Continental style just sounds too encompassing. Just call it by its other name German style and things may more rapidly fall into place.
Old May 18th 2018, 11:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Thanks ladies - Spotlight are tempting me with talk of their sale, I might have to have a proper look/research when we get back from the UK.
Can't see me making anything heavy duty like curtains, it's most likely to be simple tops and dresses and such like.
Curtains are way easier than clothes. Clothes have curves and bends and darts and stuff. Curtains are straight lines.
Old May 18th 2018, 12:47 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

But you're buggering off to Canada and what if I drop a stitch after you've gone? You really haven't thought this through Dorothy
A dropped stitch sounds like an excellent reason to visit Canada.

I agree with Quoll that joining a knitting group would be a great idea. Not sure about where you are, but our local library has a knitting group that's free. And definitely join Ravelry. There's tons of free very easy patterns for shawls and simple jumpers.

Sorry to hear about your enforced ā€œleisureā€ time and hope you can recover enough to get some sort of crafting mojo back! Yes! Iā€™m a knittaholic - never saw myself as a knitter at all until I got carpal tunnel and couldnā€™t hold a needle to cross stitch. And I had grandkids so was sort of duty bound to do the nana knitting thing if only to show willing. However, itā€™s probably the best thing I have done ove4 the past 10 years - itā€™s been a fabulous social entree and being in local knitting groups has helped me make new friends back here in U.K. If you have a local yarn shop they may have courses to help you get started with knitting or crochet and, if not, YouTube has loads of very explicit videos (I usually head for those by Very Pink Knits).

I find knitting very relaxing and once I had convinced myself that I could knit and purl it all sort of fell into place because all knitting is just either knit or purl after all and take it one stitch at a time. These days there are some nice patterns (shawls are funky and fun) that are just garter (knit) but you can find yarn that does all the work. I find socks really easy too nowadays (I can knit 1.3 socks from Canberra to Cambridge). We are probably not supposed to mention other boards but the knitting/crochet community equivalent of Facebook is called Ravelry and youā€™ll likely find knitters in your area who will welcome you into the fold.

Love the socks Quoll. I've been making 2 needle socks lately but would like to graduate to knitting on dps and turning a heel. Did you do the fair isle or is it the Paton's fair isle yarn? I made a little cardi out of that yarn for my partner's daughter when she had her baby.
Old May 18th 2018, 8:17 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

My 33 year old daughter taught herself to knit last year and has made some lovely things. I'm so glad she's found something new to do that she enjoys and gives her a sense of accomplishment.

She missed a lot of school due to multiple surgeries (23 I think, they tended to all blur together after a while!). Although the teachers at PMH, SCGH and the rehab centre were good, constant lesson interruptions and a lack of continuity take their toll.

My daughter has a part-time job and an active social life, but having a quiet, peaceful activity to do that produces useful, beautiful and appreciated things has been so good for her
Old May 18th 2018, 10:03 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Curtains are way easier than clothes. Clothes have curves and bends and darts and stuff. Curtains are straight lines.
Oh yeah, I know - when I said 'heavy duty' I meant the material
Old May 19th 2018, 12:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Any more talk of using a wombat as a carrot and I'm going to have to contact the RSPCA.

Nice people deserve and get support and help, and you're one of the nicest. If you were an arsehole, no one would talk to you

Bloody hell, it's 1:30am! Up the hill to Bedfordshire I go (or whatever that Pommy saying is)
I get it from my father, he used to talk about grilling my hamsters and serving them on toast !!!!!! I didn't see any wombats whilst over on my trip, I think they'd heard that I wanted to smuggle one back home for the OH and hid away at the two parks I went to. I got my fill off koalas though.

Very kind of you to say so. I love you too! How much longer are you in Blighty for? My mum didn't sound too great the other night and I wouldn't be surprised if I have to dash over. Having said that I've been expecting the worse for the past 11+years! She's a stubborn woman my mother!!!
Old May 19th 2018, 12:39 am
Account Closed

Wow! Those socks are very impressive. I used to do some cross-stitch though I did miss the odd stitch at times....are you seeing a pattern here. I'd struggle with it now because my eyes aren't what they were.
I shall look up Ravelry and see if there's anyone in the Whangaparaoa area who can help me. Thank you x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.