Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The kindness of strangers

The kindness of strangers

Old Jun 11th 2006, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default The kindness of strangers

Tonight i have had 2 encounters with strangers, the first happened shortly after 8, my 6 year old son, whilst running back to bed(heard me coming up the stairs) ran straight into the door handle and gashed his forehead. Blood every where and a frightened kid. After cleaning him up i realised he needed steri-strips (yet another trip to A&E). Phoned my parents and they were unable to look after my other 2 boys who were in bed.Husband on his way to the airport to fly back to his unit. So i swallowed my pride and thought about asking the people around me.
Spotted the woman over the road who i only know by sight and asked if she could do me a favour and sit in with the boys. Turns out she is really nice and only too happy to be asked.
My second encounter came when i realised i had left the house with out my purse( panic mode), the hospital carpark is a one you have to pay on leaving with barriers. OMG how im going to get home, asked the car park attended what i should do. He was so lovley gave me his card to leave and was not bothered about taking my address so i could send payment.
So for all of you that are away from family if you need help don't be afraid to ask.

My 6 year old is now asleep in bed sporting his steri-strips and a dressing.
Mandy
Old Jun 11th 2006, 9:56 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The kindness of strangers

Glad your son is o.k.
They always injure themselves when it is not convenient
Nice to see there are some nice people in this world!!
J x
Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
Glad your son is o.k.
They always injure themselves when it is not convenient
Nice to see there are some nice people in this world!!
J x

A&E have got a corner for me im sure with my boys.
I always thought that carpark attendeds were akin to the devil proper jobs worth, but this guy really has restored my faith in them.
Im going to buy my neighbour a bunch of flowers tommorow as a thank you it was going to be chocs but i found out she is a diabetic so chocs will be a no no.
Mandy
Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:16 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hope your little one is ok Mandy.

Julie. x
Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
Hope your little one is ok Mandy.

Julie. x
He's fine but im frazzeled i need a break from the kids , hubby laughed when i finally spoke to him and told him the latest.
I will be demeanted by the next time he is home (a month).
Mandy
Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:33 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
He's fine but im frazzeled i need a break from the kids , hubby laughed when i finally spoke to him and told him the latest.
I will be demeanted by the next time he is home (a month).
Mandy
Must tell you what happened to my 17 year old daughter today.
Our village had it's annual Fun Day and one of the events organised was a "Truck Pull", where teams of 12 strapping guys from all 6 pubs in our village take turns in pulling a dust cart.
Anyway, the first team did it in 18 seconds. Not bad! The next team went and the rope snapped! All the guys toppled over like skittles which was hilarious. Or so we thought until we realised that one of the guys couldn't get up 'cos he'd snapped his ankle!
I bent down to help him until the medics arrived, but unbeknown to me my daughter had heard the "crack" when he broke his ankle and promptly fainted and knocked herself out.
So 2 ambulances were called, one for the ankle guy and one for my daughter
Still managed to get back into the pub again though afterwards

Julie. x
Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Must tell you what happened to my 17 year old daughter today.
Our village had it's annual Fun Day and one of the events organised was a "Truck Pull", where teams of 12 strapping guys from all 6 pubs in our village take turns in pulling a dust cart.
Anyway, the first team did it in 18 seconds. Not bad! The next team went and the rope snapped! All the guys toppled over like skittles which was hilarious. Or so we thought until we realised that one of the guys couldn't get up 'cos he'd snapped his ankle!
I bent down to help him until the medics arrived, but unbeknown to me my daughter had heard the "crack" when he broke his ankle and promptly fainted and knocked herself out.
So 2 ambulances were called, one for the ankle guy and one for my daughter
Still managed to get back into the pub again though afterwards

Julie. x
It is a horrible sound hearing a bone crack, im not suprised she fainted, ive known squaddies build like a tank faint at such things. Hope the poor guy who snapped his ankle appreciated your help.
i bet your daughter would have needed a drink after that lol.
Mandy
Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:41 pm
Chocoholic

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
It is a horrible sound hearing a bone crack, im not suprised she fainted, ive known squaddies build like a tank faint at such things. Hope the poor guy who snapped his ankle appreciated your help.
i bet your daughter would have needed a drink after that lol.
Mandy
She wanted a drink but I'd already got a b****king for letting her have a Smirnoff Ice beforehand
She had to make do with water. (So being the kind mother that I am, I had a drink instead )
Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

She wanted a drink but I'd already got a b****king for letting her have a Smirnoff Ice beforehand
She had to make do with water. (So being the kind mother that I am, I had a drink instead )

Much better idea you have the drink, if my drinks cabinet wasn't empty i would have treat my self to one tonight. Instead my having a chocolate latte and then off to get organised for tommorow.
Mandy
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:04 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Mandy,

Glad your little one is Ok! What a fluster you must have been in!

Nice to have a stranger step in like that

Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:05 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Just the thought of hearing a bone snap, makes me need a drink!

Glad your Daughter is Ok!

Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:10 am
Chocoholic

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
Just the thought of hearing a bone snap, makes me need a drink!

Glad your Daughter is Ok!

Yeah, she's fine thanks

Julie. x