Kindle

Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:09 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle

>>ordered a wifi one from amazon usa on 9th Nov. on amazons tracking page, shows dispatch not before 6 Dec!
ps. check e bay for accessories, covers, chargers etc.<<

I've got a cheapo cover for my netbook, which is the same size as the Kindle - if it fits well I will get another for it. They only cost a few dollars instead of the Amazon zillions.

Last edited by Wol; Nov 17th 2010 at 8:11 am.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 9:37 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Got one a few weeks ago, wouldn't be without it now, got over 300 books ready to load on it, and have about 30 already loaded, So far the books have cost very little.. well nothing actually.. There are plenty of people who are offering, for free, all the classics that are out of copyright.. and loads of books that are not.. Love the way it remembers the page you were last reading, no need to turn down page corners or use a bookmark.
What is even neater - is that you can read books on the Ipod version or pc version - then when you tturn on the Kindle - it says " Oh you read up to page 95 on teh other one - would you like me to sync you to that page ? " - how cool a feature.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:30 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

My DX arrived at 0700 this morning - nine days after getting to Sydney!

First impressions are very positive - the e-ink looks perfect, the controls are intuitive and the connection via Calibre works well.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
My DX arrived at 0700 this morning - nine days after getting to Sydney!

First impressions are very positive - the e-ink looks perfect, the controls are intuitive and the connection via Calibre works well.
Glad it finally arrived. I'll be very interested to hear what you think of it once you've read a book.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute

just got my wifi delivered today. does any one know if you can use your home pc to download kindle books, or do need to connect via a wifi service? i can't work it out
Old Dec 7th 2010, 10:02 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by don544
just got my wifi delivered today. does any one know if you can use your home pc to download kindle books, or do need to connect via a wifi service? i can't work it out
Just ask the site to download via USB, and the book arrives on your computer to be dragged into the Kindle just like any file.

One thing to watch is that it asks on the first page whether you wat it to come on 3G or via your computer, then the second page appears to insert direct to the Kindle. That's a red herring - it's still kept your USB selection and the "Kindle" pop-up merely refers to *your* Kindle. (Probably something to do with preventing copying.)
Old Dec 7th 2010, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

You can do either I think. You can get it via your PC or get it direct via wireless (rather than wifi) through the inbuilt free 3G connection to your nearest mobile tower. You can even connect to overseas mobile networks for free as well if you travel.

This can be done from anywhere so your PC is not involved - ie. sent straight from amazon to your kindle through the mobile phone 3G network. I think you can then backup onto your pc when you get home if you wish.

Last edited by fish.01; Dec 7th 2010 at 10:34 am.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 11:26 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
You can do either I think. You can get it via your PC or get it direct via wireless (rather than wifi) through the inbuilt free 3G connection to your nearest mobile tower. You can even connect to overseas mobile networks for free as well if you travel.

This can be done from anywhere so your PC is not involved - ie. sent straight from amazon to your kindle through the mobile phone 3G network. I think you can then backup onto your pc when you get home if you wish.
We have WiFi for our computers, and have coonected our kindles through the hub, so if we get anything for the kindle it downloads to kindle as long as the wireless connection is activated, if it isn't, then it downloads as soon as you activeate it. There are literally thousands of downloads available, just use any of the torrent sites..
Old Dec 7th 2010, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
We have WiFi for our computers, and have coonected our kindles through the hub, so if we get anything for the kindle it downloads to kindle as long as the wireless connection is activated, if it isn't, then it downloads as soon as you activeate it. There are literally thousands of downloads available, just use any of the torrent sites..
Yeah sorry, I didn't mean to give the impression you couldn't use wifi to connect to your local computer....just think with the way the question was phrased "can use your home pc to download kindle books, or do need to connect via a wifi service" that they probably meant (wireless) mobile broadband through 3G mobile network rather than wifi as they said "use your home pc...or...connect via a wifi service".
Old Dec 7th 2010, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit, the Kindle is very very impressive. I've been using one for a week now and really dont want to be without it. I hate carrying books around and so this makes a huge difference as its so easy to bring with me. But the best bit is how much better it is than printed text on a page. No smudging, no dots, just clear. And no backlight which means I can read without eye strain.

Job well done Amazon.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for all the replies from above question. i have a home computer without wireless or wifi. i have downloaded via usb to my kindle, it shows as h drive on my computer, and the book is on it, but when i turn on my kindle, the book isn't there
Dom
Old Dec 7th 2010, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for all the replies from above question. i have a home computer without wireless or wifi. i have downloaded via usb to my kindle, it shows as h drive on my computer, and the book is on it, but when i turn on my kindle, the book isn't there
Dom
Is it registered? If not, sign up to amazon.com and register your kindles serial number on there. Bring it to a cafe with wifi and sign in with your new account. Once thats done, you should see your books.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dom
At the risk of labouring a point...do you know you can download for free directly to your Kindle with your home PC switched off as long as your house is in range of the mobile phone (wireless broadband) network?

Edit: Oh hang on, you can get a WIFI only Kindle - maybe you have one them?

Last edited by fish.01; Dec 7th 2010 at 9:21 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fish.01
At the risk of labouring a point...do you know you can download for free directly to your Kindle with your home PC switched off as long as your house is in range of the mobile phone (wireless broadband) network?

Edit: Oh hang on, you can get a WIFI only Kindle - maybe you have one them?
yes, its a wifi. tried connecting at local shopping centre, it connected but wouldn't down load anything!
thanks to previous posts, i think i have sussed how to connect and download via usb, so will try that when i finsh work.
thanks again to all
Dom
Old Dec 8th 2010, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes, its a wifi. tried connecting at local shopping centre, it connected but wouldn't down load anything!
thanks to previous posts, i think i have sussed how to connect and download via usb, so will try that when i finsh work.
thanks again to all
Dom
Strange that it connected at your local shopping centre at all if it is not a 3G model

Glad that the others have got you sorted!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.