Killing Ants

Old Jun 18th 2007, 6:52 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Killing Ants

Has anyone noticed that when you start killing ants their mates come by much later on, sniff around the dead bodies, then start panicking?

Freaky little buggers. Too intelligent for their own good.

I really shouldn't be killing them. A wise person once told me that every time you kill an ant, you create an Indian call-centre worker.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 6:54 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Killing Ants

I hate the little buggers. They eat everything and anything. I have an ant invasion in my garage. The ants against the maggots in the dustbin. Nice eh!!
Old Jun 18th 2007, 6:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Tough. We kill thousands on a monthly basis. Indian call centres don't impact on my life, sodding ants do.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 7:26 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Has anyone noticed that when you start killing ants their mates come by much later on, sniff around the dead bodies, then start panicking?

I really shouldn't be killing them. A wise person once told me that every time you kill an ant, you create an Indian call-centre worker.
when u try to kill a bull ant....if u dont do it quick and do it right....they send out a signal to the rest of the bunch and they all come to attack ya lol little bastards and biy can they sting.....
Old Jun 18th 2007, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

It's something to do with chemical and pheremones (sp?!) and things - when one ant is threatened or hurt or killed it releases these hormone like chemicals that all the other ants can detect and react to.
Other animals do the same thing, I think some sorts of fish for example will panic if there is fish blood in the water... It really is dead clever!

Another thing that is great about ants is that there are so many of them, all over the world (well, ok probably not the north or south poles) aren't there about ten times as many ants as there are people? Something like that! It's very impressive.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:06 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

I prefered the aunts who got me xmas and birthday presents when i was young enough to get them!
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Few years ago, hubby had a campaign to rid them from near the back of the house as they were getting in, tried everything and nothing worked. A pest controller told me they nest metres down and stupidly I told hubby this. One very hot summers day (UK) whilst sun bathing, I noticed him trying his usual remedies, before trying petrol/parrafin down the cracks in the concrete path............... then he lit it Flames engulfed the whole width and height of the back of the house Never have seen him move quicker to get the hose..... We often laugh about it now, years later and the ants........... still there
Old Jun 18th 2007, 12:27 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by marvinc
Few years ago, hubby had a campaign to rid them from near the back of the house as they were getting in, tried everything and nothing worked. A pest controller told me they nest metres down and stupidly I told hubby this. One very hot summers day (UK) whilst sun bathing, I noticed him trying his usual remedies, before trying petrol/parrafin down the cracks in the concrete path............... then he lit it Flames engulfed the whole width and height of the back of the house Never have seen him move quicker to get the hose..... We often laugh about it now, years later and the ants........... still there
OMG I don't believe this as my OH did this some years ago. He poured petrol down the cracks in the patio and woosh 5ft high flames, the kids and I were watching him from the living room window and felt the heat. I still have problems with ants every year it drives me mad:curse:
Old Jun 18th 2007, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by marvinc

PMSL
Old Jun 19th 2007, 4:13 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Wonder how many there are in all of Aus must be Trillions they are everywhere.

I just tend to talc the entrance with cheap talc and that keeps them out they don't like to cross the chalky stuff.

Love them though think they are fascinating to watch.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:41 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

We have lived in our house for about 4 years and the first summer I arrived home to find OH stood with the Dyson hoovering the vertical blinds which looked like they were moving due to the amount of flying Ants
Every year we sit and wait and this year is the same.........
J x
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:40 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

We had loads of those sugar/bull/meat ants. Big aggressive suckers that give a nasty bites!
Got rid of them all with various remedies.

Within a few months, house was ravaged by termites!

Ants kill termites!

I don't kill ants anymore!

Andrew
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:58 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

The little buggers can wreck your paving when they churn the sand up from underneath! :curse:
Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:27 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
The little buggers can wreck your paving when they churn the sand up from underneath! :curse:
Steady Steady... the house isn't even finished yet and you are worrying about the paving.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:43 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Steady Steady... the house isn't even finished yet and you are worrying about the paving.
I'm preparing myself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.