Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Kids sporting activities

Kids sporting activities

Old May 17th 2008, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kids sporting activities

Up as per usual at this ungodly hour for a Sunday for kids sporting activities. Today it's my 10 year old playing real football locally. We have the added and unusual obstacle today, of rain and a muddy pitch. 7am we got up, not too bad. Our record with one of our kids, was our 2nd oldest daughter, who of all things was into 'figure roller skating" not many of those around. Consequently we had to travel large distances to find competition for her.

Our record with that was over the other side of Melbourne, for a 6.30 am Sunday morning start, I think it was near Cranbourne, or whatever the furthest east Melbourne Roller Skating rink is, which is about 60ks or more from here, which meant we had to get up before 5am.

So be warned, Aussie may well be more sporting, but it does come at a cost. What time do you get up for your kids activities ?

BTW... it is worth it
Old May 18th 2008, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids sporting activities

Not at all any more but for many (many!) years it was 4.30am for swimming training every day of the week. I always used to think that swimming would be a cheap sport - I mean, how much are bathers and goggles??? But when they need new bathers every couple of months (training ones) and they lose their goggles (little devils) and sqad fees it all mounts up. Then consider that when they get to country level you could find yourself going anywhere from Albury to Gunnedah and then to State you have to have a week in Sydney and at nationals it could be anywhere for a week. I am so glad that mine have left home!!!!

Mind you, I really appreciate that my kids weren't girls - I heard a friend the other day bemoaning the sequin nazi brigade for their daughter's dance group (no glue!) and there is no way that I would have spent my days sewing on sequins even if I could have!
Old May 18th 2008, 6:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit when my youngest asked if she could join the local Cheer squad I was all for it (still am) but never considered it would cost more than the fees I was paying for gym already. However, new kit and shoes adds up as does going to comps up around Brissie and this year she is going to Nationals down in Sydney so three days in a hotel, flights etc etc etc She's going on her own, doesn't see the point of us going which saves that cost but if she were any younger that wouldn't have been possible, I at least would have had to go.

I'm just grateful she's not a world class swimmer/gymnast/athlete - the costs involved there must be horrendous, and the disruption to family life doesn't bear thinking about.
Old May 18th 2008, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Must admit when my youngest asked if she could join the local Cheer squad I was all for it (still am) but never considered it would cost more than the fees I was paying for gym already. However, new kit and shoes adds up as does going to comps up around Brissie and this year she is going to Nationals down in Sydney so three days in a hotel, flights etc etc etc She's going on her own, doesn't see the point of us going which saves that cost but if she were any younger that wouldn't have been possible, I at least would have had to go.

I'm just grateful she's not a world class swimmer/gymnast/athlete - the costs involved there must be horrendous, and the disruption to family life doesn't bear thinking about.
Well, I do hope you dont have to contend with the sequin nazis for Cheer Squad!!! I heard on the radio it was a real up and coming sport at the moment.

It is a lot easier when the kids are older and can go by themselves (thank goodness for Fly Buys and FF points as well)
Old May 18th 2008, 8:32 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

tuesday mornings we have to leave at 7:30am for 10 year old's netball practice.
wednesday we have to leave at 7:30am for 7 year old's netball practice.
thursday we have to leave at 7:30am for 10 year old's aussie rules practice.
friday, you've guessed it we leave at 7:30am for both girls volleyball training.
And Saturday we have to leave at 7:30am for 13 year old's netball match, (she trains after school on a Thursday). The other two play matches at 11:00am and 1pm.
Wednesday evening is volleyball training for the eldest. Matches for oldest 2 are Friday evening.

It sounds manic, which I guess it is, but it's their choice and we love supporting them in their various pursuits. And the friends we have met thru these events have contributed enormously to our enjoyment of our new life.
Old May 18th 2008, 8:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Well, I do hope you dont have to contend with the sequin nazis for Cheer Squad!!! I heard on the radio it was a real up and coming sport at the moment.

It is a lot easier when the kids are older and can go by themselves (thank goodness for Fly Buys and FF points as well)
It's quite interesting (well it's not really but you get my drift), at some competitions, our crews, both junior and senior, are generally the only ones not slapped in makeup and glitz. They have the outfit - pre sequinned, hair done a uniform way, a lot of hairspray and that's it. They look better for it in my, parental, opinion

No doubt some would say 13 is too young to go alone but she's with 20 ish other kids, some of their parents and three leaders and she doesn't need us there so it's cool. No different from school camp in that regard.
Old May 19th 2008, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rosscov1970
tuesday mornings we have to leave at 7:30am for 10 year old's netball practice.
wednesday we have to leave at 7:30am for 7 year old's netball practice.
thursday we have to leave at 7:30am for 10 year old's aussie rules practice.
friday, you've guessed it we leave at 7:30am for both girls volleyball training.
And Saturday we have to leave at 7:30am for 13 year old's netball match, (she trains after school on a Thursday). The other two play matches at 11:00am and 1pm.
Wednesday evening is volleyball training for the eldest. Matches for oldest 2 are Friday evening.

It sounds manic, which I guess it is, but it's their choice and we love supporting them in their various pursuits. And the friends we have met thru these events have contributed enormously to our enjoyment of our new life.
Yes you do get to meet a lot of good people via these activities thats the big hidden bonus.

As for the sequins on the dance outfits, I remember my wife taking them to work on night shift and sewing during the quiet periods.
Old May 19th 2008, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Loose sequins are a menace on the dance floor... hence we insist that each and everyone be hand sewn and double knotted...

My kids fish.... is that a sport?

and they run around a lot...

and they bounce on the furniture...

Dive into the pool

They do however, excell at Marbla (this is what they call me) baiting... Is that a national sport here in WA?
Old May 19th 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

mattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nice

I'm just grateful she's not a world class swimmer/gymnast/athlete - the costs involved there must be horrendous, and the disruption to family life doesn't bear thinking about.[/QUOTE]

I know just what you mean My daughter is only 9 and It costs me $80 squad fees per month, $12.50 entance fee into pool per week,$30 petrol per week. That's only the basics. We then have competition fees which start at $7 per race per stroke. Then when have all the summer carnivals which sometimes can be over 3-4 hours travelling time. Then the bathers and goggle and uniforms. The list goes on..............

Julia.x
Old May 22nd 2008, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

subject close to my heart this week ---- paid fortune for netball affiliation fees, fork out for squad jacket, pay entry fees for 2 tournaments, pay out for 3 nights accomodation in perth for tournament and THEN on sunday she fell playing the damned game and broke her ankle!!! no netball for the rest of this season and no refunds either suprisingly enough!
Old May 22nd 2008, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

mattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nice

Sounds familiar
Old May 22nd 2008, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by daunted
subject close to my heart this week ---- paid fortune for netball affiliation fees, fork out for squad jacket, pay entry fees for 2 tournaments, pay out for 3 nights accomodation in perth for tournament and THEN on sunday she fell playing the damned game and broke her ankle!!! no netball for the rest of this season and no refunds either suprisingly enough!
What insurance does the club have? There must be something they have that they can claim against to reimburse you?
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:53 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

i do a little coaching for the under fives at our local club,i love the kids there fantastic...

ast
Old May 22nd 2008, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Ours (10) is currently getting into golf big style - it was the point when he putted from about 30 feet away and got 1 inc from the hole that we thought hmmm.......he might have an eye for this.

Not exactly a hardship for us though as we both love the game and wanted to get him into it so we could play, good thing he loves it

Trouble is, the way he's going he'll be kicking our backsides within a few more weeks, bit embarrassing really!
Old May 22nd 2008, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NikiL
Ours (10) is currently getting into golf big style - it was the point when he putted from about 30 feet away and got 1 inc from the hole that we thought hmmm.......he might have an eye for this.

Not exactly a hardship for us though as we both love the game and wanted to get him into it so we could play, good thing he loves it

Trouble is, the way he's going he'll be kicking our backsides within a few more weeks, bit embarrassing really!
Now that is a sensible choice of sport - big $$ to be made by a youngster with a good eye!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.