Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Kids Lunchboxes - suggestions

Kids Lunchboxes - suggestions

Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:08 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids Lunchboxes - suggestions

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Our High School have a huge range of freshly made hot and cold food - no paper bag system. They queue up and buy like a normal canteen.

If mine don't have school food, it's wraps, pasta salads, small homemade pasties, sausage rolls etc.
chicken kebabs are a popular choice i cook them then store in frezzer take them out and put them in lunch box frozen so they keep cold also do the same with chicken drumsticks i made SUBWAY sandwiches this morning my own version with tinned meatballs let you know if it was succsesful later on

our school dosent have a tuckshop that runs all week yet only 2 days per week
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I was not very good at rolling sushi until I got one of these.

http://www.sushiexpress.com.au/

It gets my top recommendation

I was rubbish at rolling fags as well.

PS: I've just noticed you've got one.
My are too fat though What do yours look like?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

I cheat with the sushi and buy it the day before. It keeps fine so long as it's not one with avocado in. My kids love it. Also I buy or make pasta salad. You can add cheese cubes, boiled egg etc to it for some protein as well as the usual tomatoes, celery, carrots etc.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:47 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Our High School have a huge range of freshly made hot and cold food - no paper bag system. They queue up and buy like a normal canteen.

If mine don't have school food, it's wraps, pasta salads, small homemade pasties, sausage rolls etc.
Ah civilisation! I'm hoping that by the time they reach high school it'll be more of a canteen type. Spend all my life making lunches!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

another tip is...kids are more likely to eat a meal if they have made/taken part in making it themselves.

I know it's easier said than done with some but it usually works
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:22 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by debsy
The return to school is now upon us once again, I this means that I will have to try to think up more things for my kids' lunchboxes as they do not like sandwiches.

What do you put in your kids lunchboxes? Any healthy suggestions? I have tried making sushing, but I am not very successfull at the rolling part and it ends up looking rather vile
Thought these might offer some suggestions? Found an article about this in todays Courier Mail

* Queensland Government: Smart choices for school children.
http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/fa...t-choices.html
* Health Insite: Healthy Lunchboxes.
http://www.healthinsite.gov.au/topic...hy_lunch_boxes
*Sports Dietitans Australia: School Lunchbox Ideas.
http://www.sportsdietitians.com.au/a..._box_ideas.pdf
*Nutrition Australia: What's for lunch? Your guide to healthy school lunches.
http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/nu...h_ideas_fs.asp
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammyg
another tip is...kids are more likely to eat a meal if they have made/taken part in making it themselves.

I know it's easier said than done with some but it usually works
Thats a brilliant idea.I wonder if the same applies If I get them to cook their own dinner and iron their own uniform.I can see a lie - in come this Monday.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stitch
Here in Qld they don't have school dinners as such. Most schools run a tuck shop (with parent volunteers). It's a brown paper bag system in that you write what they want...sandwich, hotdog, salad, water etc then pay that day. Varies in costs but for example a toasted sandwich is about $2.50 with a slush puppy about $1.70.

Cheers

Ginny

Hiya, thanks.
We are going to Perth and Kelsey worries me with her eating. When we went for our meds in Nov she was 8 st 3 and i was told she was slightly underweight....i weighed her the other day and shes now 8, 2!! and if shes like me and totally looses her appitite in the heat shes gonna be skeletor by christmas.....

its good for me though, when we came over in march i lost 5lb in a week.!

but obviously the kids dont have that sort of weight to lose.

Nickie
Old Jan 30th 2008, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SUSHI-ROLL-MA...QQcmdZViewItem

The large one is too big i think- but the small one is great and so easy!!

Can't give suggestions for lunches sorry, my two are so boring and like to have cheese sarnies! Like the suggestion of freezing kebabs and drumsticks though, might try that one.

Actually just remembered in the UK my son wouldn't eat sarnies and the school had a very strict food policy (they weren't even allowed cold sausages or chicken drumsticks) so I used to make him rice salads - rice, tandoori chicken, some small mixed veg and chopped coriander - he liked it.

Nikki
x
Old Jan 30th 2008, 10:28 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Thought these might offer some suggestions? Found an article about this in todays Courier Mail

* Queensland Government: Smart choices for school children.
http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/fa...t-choices.html
* Health Insite: Healthy Lunchboxes.
http://www.healthinsite.gov.au/topic...hy_lunch_boxes
*Sports Dietitans Australia: School Lunchbox Ideas.
http://www.sportsdietitians.com.au/a..._box_ideas.pdf
*Nutrition Australia: What's for lunch? Your guide to healthy school lunches.
http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/nu...h_ideas_fs.asp
Should have saved the 10 minutes it took me to type this out and check the links were valid!
Least I know for next time!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 10:47 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

My are too fat though What do yours look like?
Mine look good. But then I think I like the fat ones - higher rice to nori ratio

You do have to let them cool before cutting them so that the nori paper sticks. And cut each length into 8 pieces (i.e. cut in half and then in half and half again).

Have you watched the videos on the link? I found them useful for tips.

Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Mine look good. But then I think I like the fat ones - higher rice to nori ratio

You do have to let them cool before cutting them so that the nori paper sticks. And cut each length into 8 pieces (i.e. cut in half and then in half and half again).

Have you watched the videos on the link? I found them useful for tips.

I have been practising all week and today the kids said my sushi was as good as the one from Robina Town Centre I now only half fill the sushi express and it makes the perfect average sized sushi. Another thing I have found is using the whole egg mayo will make it taste nicer. Also, I put drained tuna, red onions and mayo in the food processor and it was a nice filling for the sushi.

regards
debs
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been practising all week and today the kids said my sushi was as good as the one from Robina Town Centre I now only half fill the sushi express and it makes the perfect average sized sushi. Another thing I have found is using the whole egg mayo will make it taste nicer. Also, I put drained tuna, red onions and mayo in the food processor and it was a nice filling for the sushi.

regards
debs
So does everyone who comes to visit have to eat mounds of sushi now I'll meet you out next time Seriously hon, give me a ring when you have a spare couple of hours, I need to catch up on your life
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

regards
debs
I love red onions. The rest of the family don't. I wonder if they'll notice. Strange thing is our kids won't eat avo. Wrap it in a bit of rice and nori and not one complaint!

I use Best Foods Mayo in some but I'm not very good at spreading it. Mixing it with the Tuna is a good idea.

I also buy the pickled ginger in jars for the adults. Not sure about the Wasabi.

Old Jan 30th 2008, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

So does everyone who comes to visit have to eat mounds of sushi now I'll meet you out next time Seriously hon, give me a ring when you have a spare couple of hours, I need to catch up on your life
Ok Pen, will do. Not back at Uni until March.

Debsx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.