Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Kids + Computers = Trojans.

Kids + Computers = Trojans.

Old Nov 13th 2006, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kids + Computers = Trojans.

Just found a Keyboard logger on my computer at the last possible minute. My AVG Virus scanner stopped a program going into action... Called Play.exe. Which enabled just as I logged of my banks Site. Thank you AVG !!!

I monitor my computer a hell of a lot having had 4 lots of kids using them and being on line since 1994, but the above was my closest call yet.

Aside from have a kids dedicated computer, which I know will be down most of the time with the crap they tend to download, I think it's time to do something drastic. Bugger it I like an easy life, however it looks like I cannot take the Software option of security anymore, as that was so bloody close.

BTW... The program that enabled Trojans to be Downloaded... The innocent sounding..."Smiley Central' Which my Daughter actually uses for emoticons in msn messenger.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 2:57 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Kids + Computers = Trojans.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Just found a Keyboard logger on my computer at the last possible minute. My AVG Virus scanner stopped a program going into action... Called Play.exe. Which enabled just as I logged of my banks Site. Thank you AVG !!!

I monitor my computer a hell of a lot having had 4 lots of kids using them and being on line since 1994, but the above was my closest call yet.

Aside from have a kids dedicated computer, which I know will be down most of the time with the crap they tend to download, I think it's time to do something drastic. Bugger it I like an easy life, however it looks like I cannot take the Software option of security anymore, as that was so bloody close.

BTW... The program that enabled Trojans to be Downloaded... The innocent sounding..."Smiley Central' Which my Daughter actually uses for emoticons in msn messenger.
my PC crashed last week...daughter goes on this Piczo sight and downloads allsorts of crap full of viruses.
Took it to a computer shop...$75 an hour to sort it they had it 2 days!
found 12 viruses on it.
Crazy thing is we had Norton anti-virus and firewall on it.
What the hell!!!!!
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:06 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Using XP Pro?
My kids profiles don't allow programmes to be downloaded - only the administrator. Which is me, with password protection.
Could that happen to me?
PS: Use AVG too freeware but they are starting to charge next year!

Andrew
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
Using XP Pro?
My kids profiles don't allow programmes to be downloaded - only the administrator. Which is me, with password protection.
Could that happen to me?

Andrew

Hmm good tip...

Should have done that years ago.

right now I'm playing with Hijackthis, which is right at the limit of my capablity.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:36 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Using XP Pro?
Could that happen to me?

Andrew
are they?
i wondered that recently when i got the expiry note on my PC, but i just followed the link to get the newer 7.5 which afaik will remain foc
failing that get avast, it's just as good
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:45 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not set up your kids an account on the computer, and make it so they have to check with you before downloading stuff. If you hold the admin account, then there shouldn't be anything downloaded under your account. Easy to do on a Mac - of course. Not sure about a PC. Kids shouldn't be using the main account anyway, just in case they delete or move something important.

Norton doesn't get everything... Spybot is good (and free) and there are others.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:45 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

According to Bob, avast is far superior to AVG.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:46 am
Account Closed

Using XP Pro?
Could that happen to me?

Andrew
Just repeated what you said. DOH!
Old Nov 13th 2006, 4:16 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by fraser
According to Bob, avast is far superior to AVG.
yeah i tried it but found my aging laptop struggled with it, the AVG somehow seems a lighter load
Old Nov 13th 2006, 4:30 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
yeah i tried it but found my aging laptop struggled with it, the AVG somehow seems a lighter load
Strange, that's the exact reason Bob told me to get Avast because it was indeed lighter
Old Nov 13th 2006, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Hate to sound smug (and know it will bite me on the bum one day), but... I've never had a problem, as I use a mac
J.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iPom
Why not set up your kids an account on the computer, and make it so they have to check with you before downloading stuff. If you hold the admin account, then there shouldn't be anything downloaded under your account. Easy to do on a Mac - of course. Not sure about a PC. Kids shouldn't be using the main account anyway, just in case they delete or move something important.

Norton doesn't get everything... Spybot is good (and free) and there are others.

For some silly reason, I overlooked this option.... Most people have said, get another computer. Which I kept putting off. I'm Setting up this password admin stuff now. I suppose I must have enjoyed "fixing things" but I've never had to deal with anything as serious as just what happened before. Only excuse i"ve got is, I've not had to use computers as part of my working life since 1980.

Thanks for the obvious tip, the only analogy I can think of is it's a bit like being told the letter U always follows the letter Q.

Bit embarrased now
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:28 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Using XP Pro?
Could that happen to me?

Andrew
great tip Andrew
i have been doing this for a while now and it saves me a lot of hassle
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:43 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paulrachel
my PC crashed last week...daughter goes on this Piczo sight and downloads allsorts of crap full of viruses.
Took it to a computer shop...$75 an hour to sort it they had it 2 days!
found 12 viruses on it.
Crazy thing is we had Norton anti-virus and firewall on it.
What the hell!!!!!
I used to use Norton but now after picking up endless viruses i use AVG and Spyware doctor,which is great.
I also downloaded Ccleaner and run that too.

I will never use online banking as i still dont believe my info would be 100% secure.

Nightshifts over,time for a before

Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
Hate to sound smug (and know it will bite me on the bum one day), but... I've never had a problem, as I use a mac
J.

Me too, but there are viruses out there that affect Macs...just not as many. One day...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.