Kath & Kim or Neighbours?

Kath & Kim or Neighbours?

Old May 4th 2007, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Mark Dowd will become famous soon enough
Default Kath & Kim or Neighbours?

Came across this article regarding life downunder:

http://www.spiked-online.com/index.p.../article/2946/

So is Oz really more like Kath & Kim than Neighbours? Do the brighter natives have a tendency to up sticks and move away from Oz? If Australia is so great, why do so many Australians live in the UK?

Just for balance, here's the reply to the original article:

http://www.spiked-online.com/index.p.../article/2965/

For lighthearted purposes only - no soap boxes please
Old May 4th 2007, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Kath & Kim or Neighbours?

Originally Posted by Mark Dowd

So is Oz really more like Kath & Kim than Neighbours? Do the brighter natives have a tendency to up sticks and move away from Oz? If Australia is so great, why do so many Australians live in the UK?

maybe should post in " the Barbie "

i like Kath n Kim btw
Old May 4th 2007, 3:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scott&rachel

i like Kath n Kim btw
Its on its way there now.....
Old May 4th 2007, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scott&rachel

i like Kath n Kim btw
I think that kath and kims surrounding reflect the surroundings but not the people! I love kath and kim thou!
Old May 4th 2007, 7:08 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever I say to people in the UK that I'm emigrating to Melbourne they say "Where Neighbours is filmed" and I always reply - "...and more importantly, Kath and Kim".

I love Kath and Kim.

"Quantity time, Sharon, Quantity time, not quality time..."

"Why can't you just forget about me sleeping with the Bolton twins, Kim, I mean, I've forgotten about it...."

Excellent stuff.

Buzzy
Old May 4th 2007, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

I love Kath and Kim, I can't wait for the new series to start.

As for it reflecting life in Australia, I'm sure its just as accurate as Eastenders, where everyone leaves school and goes to work in the "market".
Old May 4th 2007, 8:40 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I think if the original author of the article had ever bothered to come to Australia then perhaps he might have a different perspective, rather than basing an article on his experience of having walked into one of the rather tacky and shit Walkabout bars once.

As to Germain Grearer being "cerebral", I think thats a typo - it should read "poisonous bitter hag".
Old May 4th 2007, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Kath & Kim quotes:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272397/quotes

Old May 5th 2007, 6:39 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Kath & Kim or Neighbours?

So is Oz really more like Kath & Kim than Neighbours?
emmyjc1 said it best: "I think that kath and kims surrounding reflect the surroundings but not the people!"

Do you believe that Eastenders, Coronation Street and Emmerdale accurately reflect British life and British people?

Well then.

Do the brighter natives have a tendency to up sticks and move away from Oz?
Some do. Others remain at home. And the majority of those who do move (such as myself), return home after a few years.

As the reply accurately observes:

There are around one million Australians living outside of Australia, or about seven per cent of the adult population. About half of them say they have left permanently, although a proportion of these subsequently change their minds

(1). By contrast, the number of British citizens living overseas is 5.5 million, or about 12 per cent of the adult population; around 100,000 Brits a year leave Britain permanently

(2). Their most favoured destination is a place called Australia, with Spain coming second.
That puts it into perspective, don't you think?

If Australia is so great, why do so many Australians live in the UK?
Because contrary to the popular stereotype, we know quite a lot about the world outside Australia, and have a great desire to experience it for ourselves. That's why we have such a reputation for international backpacking.

Nevertheless, we still call Australia home.

I assume from your questions that you haven't visited Australia either. My advice would be to reserve judgement until you've had a chance to experience it for yourself.

PS. I have attached two photos. The first is my house in the UK. The second is my house in Australia.

Where do you think I'd rather be living?
Attached Thumbnails Kath & Kim or Neighbours?-our-house.jpg   Kath & Kim or Neighbours?-house-front.jpg  
Old May 5th 2007, 10:26 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Kath & Kim or Neighbours?

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Where do you think I'd rather be living?
Errr the West Midlands, judging from where you actually live!

Buzzy
Old May 5th 2007, 11:13 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Kath & Kim or Neighbours?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Errr the West Midlands, judging from where you actually live!

Buzzy

Well, that's beyond my control at present...
Old May 5th 2007, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

If Australia is so great, why do so many Australians live in the UK?
It makes a great base for exploring other parts of Europe.

Also it's quite easy to get a decent job regardless of your level of expertise.
Old May 5th 2007, 1:12 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Funny actually ... I've been waiting for this article to get mentioned on this site. I did a response to the article for another web site (no soap box) ... which I cut and paste below.

The greatest strength of the Internet is also its greatest weakness - anyone can publish anything. For every well written article there are several terabytes of shite out there too. With that thought in mind - have a read of this. Finished? Great. What did you think? Now I'm no apologist for Australia - I recognise that this country is not some sun-kissed utopia, but even the most anti-Australian Oz-hater would surely agree that Patrick West's 'article' has all the journalistic rigour of a misunderstood 14 year old's diary entry. West has come to the earth-shattering conclusion that life in Australia is not like Neighbours. Hold the front page! All these years I've been labouring under the delusion that a trip to a beach in California would entail giving the brush-off to pneumatic female life-savers jogging through the surf in slow motion with their pendulous breasts heaving up and down in skin-tight red swimming costumes (god how I miss Baywatch). And what does Mr West base this extraordinary theory on? Apparently he's got pissed with a couple of Aussies and thus arrived at the conclusion that "Australians are some of the most coarse, racist people on earth."

It's clever stuff though. Not content with rubbishing an entire nation based on a drunken conversation in his local Walkabout boozer, West then poses this stunning question - "If Australia is so great, why do so many Australians come and live over here?" Apparently it's not because of job opportunities in their field of expertise, a desire to travel, a need to explore their ancestors roots or marrying a Brit (by way of just a few examples), but because "Australia is not the paradise it is portrayed to be on Neighbours." Wow! According to West, Jon Pilger, Clive James and Germaine Greer all left Australia because Harold Bishop didn't run the local coffee shop.

I suppose the recent news headlines about the number of Brits fleeing blighty for foreign shores escaped his attention. Over 190,000 Britons left the UK last year and since only a small percentage of that figure ever return, we can only presume that the vast majority of people understand that life is rarely as portrayed in soap operas. Are there 'coarse' and 'racist' Australians? Of course. Are most of them 'coarse' and 'racist'. Of course not. You want 'coarse' and 'racist', canvas the opinions of a few caucasians in Bradford, hang out on the terraces during a football match, have a quiet word with a skaffolder in London. Better still, base an article on something other than a throwaway comment by an expat Australian hack and a night on the piss. Nothing like Neighbours? Nothing like journalism more like.

Old May 6th 2007, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Whenever I say to people in the UK that I'm emigrating to Melbourne they say "Where Neighbours is filmed" and I always reply - "...and more importantly, Kath and Kim".

I love Kath and Kim.

"Quantity time, Sharon, Quantity time, not quality time..."

"Why can't you just forget about me sleeping with the Bolton twins, Kim, I mean, I've forgotten about it...."

Excellent stuff.

Buzzy
'No Brett you want the best house on the worse street so you can lord it over people!'
Old May 6th 2007, 8:05 am
Fighting my corner

Talking Re: Kath & Kim or Neighbours?

Originally Posted by emmyjc1
'No Brett you want the best house on the worse street so you can lord it over people!'
"Buh-kerk...!"

"What's that, Kim?"

"Buh-kerk, Mum. You're chooky!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.