British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   kangeroo meat (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/kangeroo-meat-480607/)

aston man Sep 12th 2007 10:23 am

kangeroo meat

anyone tried it ,its supposed to be nice..:confused:

steve`o Sep 12th 2007 10:24 am

Re: kangeroo meat

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 5301619)

yep tastes very similar to venison;)

Weirdstone Sep 12th 2007 10:25 am

Yep...it's ok...quite 'gamey' but nice - couldn't each much though.

aston man Sep 12th 2007 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Weirdstone (Post 5301627)
Yep...it's ok...quite 'gamey' but nice - couldn't each much though.

how do you cook it..

mancunian_bris Sep 12th 2007 10:27 am

Roo is quite tender if its cooked properly and very lean.
Camel is okay especially if its marinated. Don't bother with emu, its too gamey and stringy.
Croc is okay too but the skin is a bit chewy :D

Weirdstone Sep 12th 2007 10:29 am

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 5301633)
how do you cook it..

I've had it grilled...as a steak, but I guess you can roast it too, or in a casserole.

cresta57 Sep 12th 2007 10:29 am

It's very rich if you have it in steak form so you only need a small piece, cook it as you would a steak. The mince is very healthy for spag bog etc. as it's very low & fat low cholesterol.

Weirdstone Sep 12th 2007 10:31 am

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 5301647)
It's very rich if you have it in steak form so you only need a small piece, cook it as you would a steak. The mince is very healthy for spag bog etc. as it's very low & fat low cholesterol.

Yes, that's it...just a little bit ..... you don't want one that fills your plate like a Porterhouse !

aston man Sep 12th 2007 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Weirdstone (Post 5301651)
Yes, that's it...just a little bit ..... you don't want one that fills your plate like a Porterhouse !

on the barbie?

Weirdstone Sep 12th 2007 10:34 am

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 5301657)
on the barbie?

Yep...that'll do :)

esperanza Sep 12th 2007 10:35 am

Kangaroo is yummy, nice and lean. Can't stoop to Kanga Bangas though, they remind me of Kanga and Roo from Winnie the Pooh!! :o

LINZI Sep 12th 2007 10:37 am

my other half is having it for his tea now !

98% fat free and 46% of your daily iron intake in a day (thats what it says on the packet)

lindzi

aston man Sep 12th 2007 10:37 am

im going to cook all my lot a meal this weekend,,,and not tell until after..?:rofl:

cresta57 Sep 12th 2007 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Weirdstone (Post 5301651)

We had a BBQ a few weeks ago when Polly & her tribe descended upon us, we invited a few other mates & were joking to Polly's young niece that the steak was Roo, the burgers were wombat & the chops were possum etc.
It wasn't until I served the food that Deb informed me that it was in fact Roo steak:ohmy: The Aussie couple sitting next to me refused to believe they had eaten what they believed to be "only fit for dog meat" She thought it was still a wind up, her hubbie had to show her his piece that was very dark & not covered in ketchup like hers had been:rofl:

Weirdstone Sep 12th 2007 10:41 am

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 5301683)
We had a BBQ a few weeks ago when Polly & her tribe descended upon us, we invited a few other mates & were joking to Polly's young niece that the steak was Roo, the burgers were wombat & the chops were possum etc.
It wasn't until I served the food that Deb informed me that it was in fact Roo steak:ohmy: The Aussie couple sitting next to me refused to believe they had eaten what they believed to be "only fit for dog meat" She thought it was still a wind up, her hubbie had to show her his piece that was very dark & not covered in ketchup like hers had been:rofl:

:D Only us gullible poms then ...but it's sold in enough places..

I was on a flight with Icelandic Air, and my Mum was with me ... I told her the chicken we were eating, was in fact Puffin - and she believed me :lol: In fact, she doesn't know otherwise now :D