Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or is the UK cheaper to live in then Australia?

Wikiposts

Is it just me or is the UK cheaper to live in then Australia?

Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:30 pm
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Is it just me or is the UK cheaper to live in then Australia?

Originally Posted by seayork2002
I think it is anyway
I think houses and petrol are cheaper here in WA than UK.

Other costs - It definitely costs us more to live here than it did in UK, especially grocery shopping, can't believe how much it costs.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

Purchased a carton of beer last week..

$40 bux.....24 bottles.

$15 bux on snags, rolls and onions, and went to the beach with my mates....

Watched the sunset......talked a load of bllocks and spun some lies...but it was good fun, beats drinking in a old smoggy pub..but then i do miss the chesnuts at xmas around the fire....

Now I didnt need to get a quick charter, spend $thousands of bux to go to the Med, or a city break, a real good way to spend the evening after work....makes you wonder this big rush is to be hurded through airports and cities at the weekend just because its cheap..
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

I enjoyed going to Europe to experience different cultures/languages etc. It was tough sometimes, and it took a few months saving the pennies. I was most definitely not in some high-paid job, but we managed it. It gave us something to look forward to.

You certainly don't need to spend $thousands to get the Med', not by a long way.

Last edited by The_Wookie; Apr 27th 2009 at 8:06 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:04 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
I enjoyed going to Europe to experience different cultures/languages etc. It was tough sometimes, and it took a few months saving the pennies. I was most definitely in some high-paid job, but we managed it. It gave us something to look forward to.

You certainly don't need to spend $thousands to get the Med', not by a long way.
I used to regularly go to Northern Ireland and had a few trips to Rome, Paris and Amsterdam.

Also several cheap holidays in the US.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:28 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stalybridge
so what you doing here?...
semi retired now
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

stalybridge will become famous soon enoughstalybridge will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jad n rich
OK

$7900 for kids braces, $5200 for second kids dental work, implant and removal.

$7000 approx (havent got bills here) for licences, fees, registration and insurances.

I think saying 'do you think things havent gone up in UK' is a bit weak, of course people realise stufff goes up everywhere.

However lets face it you left out alot of stuff you pay here to get your cheaper estimate, eg include MOT then not include rego, that sort of thing.
I didnt include rego because I didnt include road tax, rego here in Qld is more than road tax in UK because it includes 3rd party insurance, so you fully comprehensive insurance is cheaper here.
BTW my nephew in UK has just been quoted 2100 pounds to insure a 1.3 Corsa (his first car) my son paid $600 for his 1.5 Lancer here in Brisbane (with Budget)
At the end of the day mate, I dont know what it costs you to live, I know Im about $8k a year better of here in bills, and no way could I afford to live on 1.5 acres in the UK near a city.
I stand by the figures I gave, the exchange rate I used id approximate.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
Depends, on your circumstances....

As a couple we earn more in WA, but find it a little pricey as in my other rants as for uk its expensive to live, as you pay to live in a dump 12 months a year, and it isnt a good investment.

With all the places to live in the world, Uk isnt on a comparison to Australia, why most people are blind drunk at the weekends, to get over the depression they are in.
Might be a dump where you came from,but that certainly does'nt apply to us!I'm not depressed either and am not blind drunk at weekends?But.....maybe you're talking about people you personally know or do you assume everyone in the UK live in a dump,are depressed and blind drunk weekends?Come on,thats pathetic!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
We could never afford to 'get away' in the UK and we can't afford it here. I always wonder whether this talk of the availability of nearby holiday spots in the UK was just that - availability. I can't remember any of my friends flitting off on these much vaunted weekend city breaks to Prague or Berlin, either. We were all neck-deep in mortgage and council tax payments - usually with kids in tow. Eurostar to Paris?
When I was single it was great, but then I got married and had children and the availability of cheap trips disappeared.

£200-£400 for a weekend away turns into £1000+ which means we never did it. And yes you could drive over for a lot less, but still a few hundred £ for a weekend with fuel, food, ferry etc and there is only so much you can do in Northern France/Belgium/Holland anyway. (Especially as I lived in Belgium for a year)
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
Purchased a carton of beer last week..

$40 bux.....24 bottles.

$15 bux on snags, rolls and onions, and went to the beach with my mates....

Watched the sunset......talked a load of bllocks and spun some lies...but it was good fun, beats drinking in a old smoggy pub..but then i do miss the chesnuts at xmas around the fire....

Now I didnt need to get a quick charter, spend $thousands of bux to go to the Med, or a city break, a real good way to spend the evening after work....makes you wonder this big rush is to be hurded through airports and cities at the weekend just because its cheap..
Your old user name did'nt happen to be kym69 did it?You sound the same?Coincidence?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sr71
When I was single it was great, but then I got married and had children and the availability of cheap trips disappeared.

£200-£400 for a weekend away turns into £1000+ which means we never did it. And yes you could drive over for a lot less, but still a few hundred £ for a weekend with fuel, food, ferry etc and there is only so much you can do in Northern France/Belgium/Holland anyway. (Especially as I lived in Belgium for a year)
The point is that you simply cannot compare the UK to Perth for availability and ease of overseas holidays. If you can't do overseas trips in the UK due to the cost, it would be even more difficult to do so from Perth.

That's what I'm trying to say.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:53 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Possums
we pay nearly that for a loaf of undecent!
No ALDI in your area then ? $1.10 for basic or $1.60 for the better stuff...

Originally Posted by yanchep
I was looking through an old magazine that was from England and came across an Iceland page advertising their £1 deals, I forgot how cheap the food over in england can be if you want it to be.
Its a bit like that here too.
Local Fruit & Veg shops $1 deals this week are:
1Kg Gala Apples, 1kg Josephine Pears, 1kg Granny Smiths, 1kg Tomatoes, 1kg Onions all at $1 per kg
Eggs are a bit more at $1.50 per dozen.

I do agree with your statement "how cheap the food ... can be if you want it to be", and know where to look

Eating out: Eye Fillet Steak and chips $14.50, or if that's a bit pricey... $11.95 Steak with fresh salad and fries.

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
3. MOT - no but registration and compulsory third party ins?
Don't they have Car Tax and Insurance in the UK any more then ?

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
6. Foxtel - needed for survival here
You are joking aren't you ? You NEED to watch TV ?

Originally Posted by stalybridge
you dont have to pay that mate, I go to Victoria Point Med (just so you know Im not making thsi up ) centre which bulk bills so it costs nothing, dont they have bulk billing where you live, check it out!!
also I can see a doctor THAT day instead of waiting 5 days like in jolly old england
We have about 3 medical centre in Vicky point that bulk bill, maybe even more. In 6 years I have only paid once, and that was in my first visit when I didn't know the area. Free parking at the Hospital too

Everything varies, depending where you are, and how well you know the area...

But if you want an Australian view of UK prices, my wife thought the UK was VERY expensive, but then again, she was new and .... well, she didn't know....

Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:54 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Whoop de doo

The spinmeister is here to put us all right
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:55 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
The point is that you simply cannot compare the UK to Perth for availability and ease of overseas holidays.
If anyone moves to Perth, and complains about the cost of overseas holidays, compared to the UK..... has made a mistake in moving there...

Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Grayling
Oh Whoop de doo

Do you not agree with this then.... Everything varies, depending where you are, and how well you know the area...

Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:59 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Grayling
Oh Whoop de doo

Come on then, you had better explain why you roll your eyes when someone has a view and experiences that you don't like....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.