Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or is the UK cheaper to live in then Australia?

Wikiposts

Is it just me or is the UK cheaper to live in then Australia?

Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it just me or is the UK cheaper to live in then Australia?

Insurance, utilities, car parking, petrol are all way cheaper than the UK.

Food, appliances etc are generally more expensive.

Rent/housing in the UK is more expensive.

But overall I had more money in the UK because my salary is lower in Aus.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

No they are enjoying themselves, with the joy of living here.....

Originally Posted by Grayling
So why do I see so many people who are blind drunk at the weekends in Brisbane?.....are they all depressed as well?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of light

I was looking through an old magazine that was from England and came across an Iceland page advertising their £1 deals, I forgot how cheap the food over in england can be if you want it to be.

Regarding utility bills, petrol and entertainment for kids etc, Here in Perth it is certainly a lot cheaper, just meeting friends down at a park/beach with the kids and throwing some sausages on the barbie and letting kids run around having fun is far cheaper than having to entertain them at say Alton Towers etc, or in the arcades if it is raining when you have gone to the beach in England

Buying a house here I dont think is really cheap, but you certainly do get a lot more for your money here. Renting I think is expensive, we pay double our mortgage now here to rent. And the wages are definately lower than in England.

But I would definately say its worth staying here as there seems for me to be more here than in England.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

jsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by yanchep
I was looking through an old magazine that was from England and came across an Iceland page advertising their £1 deals, I forgot how cheap the food over in england can be if you want it to be.

Regarding utility bills, petrol and entertainment for kids etc, Here in Perth it is certainly a lot cheaper, just meeting friends down at a park/beach with the kids and throwing some sausages on the barbie and letting kids run around having fun is far cheaper than having to entertain them at say Alton Towers etc, or in the arcades if it is raining when you have gone to the beach in England

Buying a house here I dont think is really cheap, but you certainly do get a lot more for your money here. Renting I think is expensive, we pay double our mortgage now here to rent. And the wages are definately lower than in England.

But I would definately say its worth staying here as there seems for me to be more here than in England.
I have to agree with you ..somethings are cheaper in uk (food,clothes, holidays) and some things are cheaper here in aus (insurance,rents) but its the lifestyle we love, we are rarely in the house usually outside under patio or fishing or exploring other areas and having bbq with friends.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:31 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

UK is cheaper IMHO
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

Uk is far cheaper in general then Canberra imo

$5 for a loaf of decent bread anyone
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Here, without a single doubt, is enormously cheaper.

Last edited by spartacus; Apr 27th 2009 at 3:35 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:42 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Graham and Maria
Uk is far cheaper in general then Canberra imo

$5 for a loaf of decent bread anyone
we pay nearly that for a loaf of undecent!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Cheaper in UK:
CDs
Books (ridiculous prices in Oz)
Computers & games
Clothes
Electronics
Cars
Motorbikes
Internet access
Groceries

Cheaper in Oz:
Property
Petrol
Entertainment
Insurance

That's from my experience of living in Perth for just over a year, and popping back to the UK on a couple of occasions.

The biggest difference in price is books. I bought a book in the UK for 6 quid, the same one was up for $45 in Perth.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

I find Brisbane is about the same price as London for food shopping (supermarkets) and eating out but in London it was possible to find a cheap eaterie and have relatively good food - something I can't find here.

The supermarket costs about the same except the quality here in the CBD is bad bad bad. Fruit & vegetables that wouldn't make it out onto the shop floor in the UK. Interestingly I bought a bag of potatoes (expensive!) and when I took them home lots were green and sprouting so I took them back. They were replaced but the hoo haa was incredible and the shop assistants were all a fluster - so it seems like it doesn't happen very much (people returning goods or complaining about quality).

We are paying the same rent for a 2 bed apartment in Brisbane as we did for a 3 bed semi-detached Victorian house in Surrey!

Australia is not the cheap country it used to be.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

jsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
Cheaper in UK:
CDs
Books (ridiculous prices in Oz)
Computers & games
Clothes
Electronics
Cars
Motorbikes
Internet access
Groceries

Cheaper in Oz:
Property
Petrol
Entertainment
Insurance

That's from my experience of living in Perth for just over a year, and popping back to the UK on a couple of occasions.

The biggest difference in price is books. I bought a book in the UK for 6 quid, the same one was up for $45 in Perth.
I love books and had a ball on amazon in the uk and at tesco etc, they are expensive here and the uk gets new releases well before we do here
Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

Disagree with wages totally.

Wont go into details, but I have considerablly more pay here, for doing less hours.

Originally Posted by yanchep

Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

You have to put things into perspective.

BBQ's on the beach, can you buy that in UK....NO..and can you even do it.

Clean parks and free parking (most of the time) ....UK NO NO NO........... you pay higher taxes but society on the whole is better, look at the infrastructure ont he whole....

Things you cant buy and its about standard of living, again the material things in life come to the top..... british obession of money and jones's....
Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

The discussion isn't about 'quality of life' though is it? It's about material items and their relevant cost.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
I find Brisbane is about the same price as London for food shopping (supermarkets) and eating out but in London it was possible to find a cheap eaterie and have relatively good food - something I can't find here.

The supermarket costs about the same except the quality here in the CBD is bad bad bad. Fruit & vegetables that wouldn't make it out onto the shop floor in the UK. Interestingly I bought a bag of potatoes (expensive!) and when I took them home lots were green and sprouting so I took them back. They were replaced but the hoo haa was incredible and the shop assistants were all a fluster - so it seems like it doesn't happen very much (people returning goods or complaining about quality).

We are paying the same rent for a 2 bed apartment in Brisbane as we did for a 3 bed semi-detached Victorian house in Surrey!

Australia is not the cheap country it used to be.
Sing's Asian Diner, Rosalie; six adults, starter and main course, $130.

Is the issue more to do with living in the CBD? A three bedder in Surrey isn't in the CBD of anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.