Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

just a few questions - Perth

just a few questions - Perth

Old Apr 2nd 2008, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of
Default just a few questions - Perth

I have rellies here at the moment, and a couple of weeks ago when they were in the city, they saw loads of people wearing red dresses men too! Some had red horns (on their head!!) running through the streets, no slogan or banners to be seen, just wondered if anyone else saw this and knew what it was all about. It's a question they keep asking!!!

One other question is Why don't they use sea water to put out bushfires?

thanks guys
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 1:02 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: just a few questions - Perth

Originally Posted by abergas
The salt water buggers up the pumps, hoses, connectors etc...
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by renth
The salt water buggers up the pumps, hoses, connectors etc...
Thanks, thought that might be the reason. Believe it or not when I asked one guy, he said they used to use sea water, but when the helcoptors refilled they picked up a guy and dropped him on the fire. I wasn't sure wether to laugh or not when he told me!!!
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 1:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, thought that might be the reason. Believe it or not when I asked one guy, he said they used to use sea water, but when the helcoptors refilled they picked up a guy and dropped him on the fire. I wasn't sure wether to laugh or not when he told me!!!
Famous urban legend: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/scuba.asp

I've seen amphibious aircraft in Spain scoop seawater for bushfires though.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

dalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to all

[QUOTE=abergas;6145344]I have rellies here at the moment, and a couple of weeks ago when they were in the city, they saw loads of people wearing red dresses men too! Some had red horns (on their head!!) running through the streets, no slogan or banners to be seen, just wondered if anyone else saw this and knew what it was all about. It's a question they keep asking!!!

Don't really know but the Uni's started about two or three weeks ago. Might have been some Uni initiation run.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 2:13 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I have rellies here at the moment, and a couple of weeks ago when they were in the city, they saw loads of people wearing red dresses men too! Some had red horns (on their head!!) running through the streets, no slogan or banners to be seen, just wondered if anyone else saw this and knew what it was all about. It's a question they keep asking!!!

thanks guys
There is all sorts going on. Yesterday there were some anti-cluster bomb protesters. Recently there were pro-tibet people in orange. The last one I read about was a very large broker who lost a bet and ran through the city in a mankini (a la Borat). Not a pretty sight!

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=65031
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 2:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
There is all sorts going on. Yesterday there were some anti-cluster bomb protesters. Recently there were pro-tibet people in orange. The last one I read about was a very large broker who lost a bet and ran through the city in a mankini (a la Borat). Not a pretty sight!

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=65031
Cluster bombs rock. They are a really effective means of area denial to your enemy and to really f**k up his logistics and ability to manoeuvre.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

hunter will become famous soon enoughhunter will become famous soon enough

thanks guys

It was the The "Red Dress Run" a charity fund raiser for Interhash 2008 that was held at Glouster Park over that weekend. 5000 + attended and the next interhash will be in Borneo in 2010

http://www.interhash2008.com/picturesreddress.html