Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

just arrived and lonely

just arrived and lonely

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Newbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really nice
Default just arrived and lonely

Hi all I have just arrived in Brisbane with hubby and a two year old. I have left some very good friends behind and I am finding it really hard to settle. Where do I start to make new friends? I am in the Milton area and all the playgroups seem to be closed for the school holidays. Where did you go for when you first arrived?
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

Karen72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to all
Default Re: just arrived and lonely

Hi
it is really hard when you 1st arrive and reality kicks in, but you'll be fine you just need to give it time. we met people through expat meets and then on through them. you will meet people and you will make friends, keep smiling! Karen.x p.s. have sent pm.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:17 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Hi There

Playgroups should start again from next week as that's when the schools go back....they are a good place to meet local Mums.

I have recently also joined 'Bubhub' that too looks to be a supportive group with meets in most areas.

It takes quite a while to feel anything like settled, take up every opportunity/ invite that comes your way and try not to shut yourself away indoors when you are feeling low.

Good Luck and Best Wishes, Jan x
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:05 am
Living the nightmare

Dizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Newbie13
Hi all I have just arrived in Brisbane with hubby and a two year old. I have left some very good friends behind and I am finding it really hard to settle. Where do I start to make new friends? I am in the Milton area and all the playgroups seem to be closed for the school holidays. Where did you go for when you first arrived?
Greetings and welcome to my world
I joined a tenpin bowling club as after 6 months I was still a billy-no-mates, and it gets me out of the house away from the kids and hubby. It takes a while to get to know people here but I'm sure with a 2 year old you won't be lonely for long. Just accept any offers to go out and about even if you don't really fancy tagging along. Big ((((hugs)))) to you.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dizzillusioned
Greetings and welcome to my world
I joined a tenpin bowling club as after 6 months I was still a billy-no-mates, and it gets me out of the house away from the kids and hubby. It takes a while to get to know people here but I'm sure with a 2 year old you won't be lonely for long. Just accept any offers to go out and about even if you don't really fancy tagging along. Big ((((hugs)))) to you.
In complete agreement with this advice - and welcome by the way
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:40 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

poor thing. I remember what it felt like sitting in Go Bananas kids play park just like Billy no mates! So lonely.

With a little one you will need to mix at playgroups etc and I'm sure you'll find other mums to chat to to pass the day.

Keep offering coffee meet-ups and play days to those you do meet and I'm sure you'll be fine. All the best.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Newbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really nice

Thank you all for your support, I think I just needed to moan today and husband is away.....
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Hi, are you coming to the meet up at the Gap ? Would be a good place to make some friends.
Do you have transport ?
Old Jan 25th 2007, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

sharron2074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
I know just how you feel (HUGS), I resently moved to Queensland (nov 06) with 3 kids, 14, 4 and 14 months and also have found it very hard to settle and lonely being so far away from family & friends.
Kids start school next week so hopefully it will be easier once I get into a routine. Yes going to the playgroups will be a good place to start.
Shame we are not nearer, we could meet up but I am about 4 hours from Brisbane.

Good Luck, feel free to PM me if you want to 'chat'.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:09 am
Living the nightmare

Dizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sharron2074
Hi there,
I know just how you feel (HUGS), I resently moved to Queensland (nov 06) with 3 kids, 14, 4 and 14 months and also have found it very hard to settle and lonely being so far away from family & friends.
Kids start school next week so hopefully it will be easier once I get into a routine. Yes going to the playgroups will be a good place to start.
Shame we are not nearer, we could meet up but I am about 4 hours from Brisbane.

Good Luck, feel free to PM me if you want to 'chat'.
welcome Sharon, I hope you do better than I did, just take up all offers of getting together with people before you get bored, cos once the rot sets in it's difficult to be bothered.