just arrived

Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

scampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant future
Smile just arrived

Hi everybody, we have just arrived from the uk last monday after a two year wait to sell in the uk. But feel bit fed up as things are very expensive and houses have gone up in price. We only have one wage and am very worried we will not be able to live on it over here. Also surprised at all the time and paperwork needed before being able to rent. We bought our bills, bank statements, credit history letter from buidling society but thats not required. They need job ref, and ref from whoever you are staying with when you get here. Then you have to fight with other applications and its up to the house holder who they pick. So although we have a big sum of money from our house sale that is not good enough? weird. Any advice on amounts for bills, internet, etc would be appreciated. many thanks
Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: just arrived

Agents all appear to be different when it comes to renting. We were fine with previous employer references, conveyancing reference plus copy of our sales schedule and a copy of our bank statement. Sorry you are finding it so hard.

As for bills:

Electric = about $30 connection fee
Gas = about $50 connection fee
Landline = about $50 connection fee
Internet = all depends on speed etc
If you buy a car you will also have the admin fee and stamp duty to pay on the purchase price (but some people have managed to get that waived)

Australia IS expensive....but I had experience of that coming out on holiday several times. Anyone who thinks house prices/cost of living will be lower are misguided - it will be at least the same, if not more than the UK.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, welcome to Oz

Probably best to post whereabouts you are, then members who are in your area may be able to best advise you. Would suggest getting your Medicare and Driving License sorted then at least you have two lots of Ozzie I/D Both are very easy and driving licence is immediate takes about 20 mins.

We didn't rent as we have dogs but used a relocation service for a house/help for first few weeks, they were great. Depending where you are pm me and will email you details of them, they are in Jimboomba, Qld. We are actually in NSW now as did a mass house hunt (Qld and NSW) and found pockets of areas that were cheaper where we could afford that we liked.

Depends where you lived in UK and where you want to be in Oz if housing is more/less money. Generally you get more for your money over here, if you want to be on the coast or near water you'll pay for it (as you would anywhere) but we had a large mortgage in UK and both worked now we don't have a mortgage and only one of us works, so are very happy with that! Biggest expense is food shopping is about same as UK but again you can buy 'cheaper' stuff if you want to and shop about.

Internet we just use Bigpond as half price if you have phone line/mobile with them
Car - we shopped around and used an agency in the end to do the deal, saved a bit, no stamp duty on new cars.

Have fun it does get easier just take it as it comes

Last edited by Wendy66; Oct 26th 2009 at 8:50 am. Reason: added internet bit
Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:50 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampie
Hi everybody, we have just arrived from the uk last monday after a two year wait to sell in the uk. But feel bit fed up as things are very expensive and houses have gone up in price. We only have one wage and am very worried we will not be able to live on it over here. Also surprised at all the time and paperwork needed before being able to rent. We bought our bills, bank statements, credit history letter from buidling society but thats not required. They need job ref, and ref from whoever you are staying with when you get here. Then you have to fight with other applications and its up to the house holder who they pick. So although we have a big sum of money from our house sale that is not good enough? weird. Any advice on amounts for bills, internet, etc would be appreciated. many thanks
Welcome to Australia, hang in there mate, things have a way of working out if you want them to.
Good luck.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

You sound a bit tired & overwhelmed with it all!
As others have said, hang on in there....it will get better & you get used to the differences.
Rental markets can be very competitive, depending where you are & what you are after, just keep trying your best & if you can afford to, offer several months rent upfront.
Best wishes
Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

I was thinking the same think SallyC..

We managed to rent before we even had jobs (going by the money from our house sale) but they made a lot of noises about wages etc.. they wanted a reference from someone we know here too.. gave them a friends address in Perth (we are in Queensland) and they didnt even bother to ring them!

My advice is to just attempt to find a nice place to rent, then fill out the odious amounts of paperwork (can't ever be as bad as the visa applications eh?!) and then just push on looking for other places also. You'll find something in the end..

I quite like renting.. it works out a lot cheaper at the moment than a mortgage, we don't have to pay water/rates (annual bill) and when something breaks or goes wrong we just ring the landlord and tell him.. they then come and fix it... OK.. not exactly the same security (whatever the hell that is?!) as owning my home, but these are the benefits of renting..

Things are more expensive here, but as your lifestyle adjusts, you'll find that its quite possible to live cheaply.. spending evening sat outside next to the river or in the park with the free bbqs and a picnic, etc etc.

Good luck with it all

Em x
Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

West Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to all

Yep they are a very cautious when it comes to renting. Are you in Melbourne? We faced the same thing when we moved here, and my hubbie is an Aussie! Couldn't believe he had to get a reference from work but then again it's the landlords right to want to know who you are etc.

Hang in there, it will all get sorted, you're just getting used to new rules and regulations. Don't let this get you down, we all had to do it and you're just going through the same stuff!

Edited to say: Having been a home owner for 3 years now I too agree with your reasons for renting Emlems! We have done nothing but hand out money to fix the roof, the air con, the gas heating, insulation etc since we moved in and no chance of getting that back when we sell in the next few months! We are seriously considering renting on our next move, if it is for anything under 3 years. Let the landlord have a heartattack about the leaking roof this winter - not me!

Last edited by West Vic; Oct 27th 2009 at 4:00 am.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:17 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scampie
Sorry to here things are going slow for you, if you can gert references from uk, it should make things easier for you to rent, My Daughter Arrived in Perth last Wednesday and has just been told she has a rental to move to on the 4th of november its the first house she has applied for i think the references helped, wishing you the very best of luck Ps just realise my daughter had left the country and not logged out of here lol, so now you know its Tawkins who has landed in oz and its her mum typing lol confused.com

Last edited by tawkins1; Oct 27th 2009 at 12:21 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tawkins1
Sorry to here things are going slow for you, if you can gert references from uk, it should make things easier for you to rent, My Daughter Arrived in Perth last Wednesday and has just been told she has a rental to move to on the 4th of november its the first house she has applied for i think the references helped, wishing you the very best of luck Ps just realise my daughter had left the country and not logged out of here lol, so now you know its Tawkins who has landed in oz and its her mum typing lol confused.com
LOL! Was sniggering the other day on Facebook when a friend was writing the most bizzare status reports... apparently he had left FB logged in when he was at his brothers house... you can guess the rest!

Em x
Old Oct 28th 2009, 2:19 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Ha Ha this is the REAL TAWKINS1.....

Yeh we arrived last wed, secured a rental by offering 3 months rent in advance, also had a tenants reference (just one from a family member would do, as we had only every had holiday rentals as we owned our own home) & a westpac bank statement with some of our funds in to show we could pay the rent. We have noticed that things here are more expensive than when we came last year but hopefully once we are earning ozzy $'s we'll be ok. As I type my hubby is out hopefully securing a job with a good salary. did you know that you can get help with your rent? Have a look on the centrelink site under family assistance & do an online quote. Goodluck & hope things pick up for you soon xxxxx
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:32 pm
Who's the nanny?

nanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to all

Ha Ha this is the REAL TAWKINS1.....

Yeh we arrived last wed, secured a rental by offering 3 months rent in advance, also had a tenants reference (just one from a family member would do, as we had only every had holiday rentals as we owned our own home) & a westpac bank statement with some of our funds in to show we could pay the rent. We have noticed that things here are more expensive than when we came last year but hopefully once we are earning ozzy $'s we'll be ok. As I type my hubby is out hopefully securing a job with a good salary. did you know that you can get help with your rent? Have a look on the centrelink site under family assistance & do an online quote. Goodluck & hope things pick up for you soon xxxxx
Hi Tawkins1 its your mum lol finally got back on here well now i cant get locked out again because your over there and cant get at my pc,hope we will be joining you soon house will be going on market in a few weeksand then we can come and annoy you againor babysitxx
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:34 pm
Who's the nanny?

nanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to all

Originally Posted by emelems
LOL! Was sniggering the other day on Facebook when a friend was writing the most bizzare status reports... apparently he had left FB logged in when he was at his brothers house... you can guess the rest!

Em x
yes think i can
Old Oct 30th 2009, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nanny2six
Hi Tawkins1 its your mum lol finally got back on here well now i cant get locked out again because your over there and cant get at my pc,hope we will be joining you soon house will be going on market in a few weeksand then we can come and annoy you againor babysitxx
You are Tawkins mum? Wow!
Old Oct 30th 2009, 8:25 am
Who's the nanny?

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
You are Tawkins mum? Wow!
Yes her very proud mum sallyclaire
Old Oct 30th 2009, 12:09 pm
Living the dream

Originally Posted by nanny2six
Yes her very proud mum sallyclaire
Hello Mum xxxxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.