Journalism in Oz

Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

gabby has much to be proud ofgabby has much to be proud ofgabby has much to be proud ofgabby has much to be proud ofgabby has much to be proud ofgabby has much to be proud ofgabby has much to be proud ofgabby has much to be proud ofgabby has much to be proud ofgabby has much to be proud ofgabby has much to be proud of
Default Journalism in Oz

Just wondered if anyone has found work in this occupation over here, I worked as a freelancer back in the UK but struggle here for work, just wondered if anyone had any tips/ know how etc.

Thanks Gabby
Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:35 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Journalism in Oz

Originally Posted by gabby
Just wondered if anyone has found work in this occupation over here, I worked as a freelancer back in the UK but struggle here for work, just wondered if anyone had any tips/ know how etc.

Thanks Gabby
no tips from me gabby,but good luck to you,,
Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Gabby
Would be interested in this too as I'm studying journalism at uni at present (mature age student).
Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

gabby has much to be proud ofgabby has much to be proud ofgabby has much to be proud ofgabby has much to be proud ofgabby has much to be proud ofgabby has much to be proud ofgabby has much to be proud ofgabby has much to be proud ofgabby has much to be proud ofgabby has much to be proud ofgabby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aston man
no tips from me gabby,but good luck to you,,
Thanks Mate

Originally Posted by rabsody
Would be interested in this too as I'm studying journalism at uni at present (mature age student).
would be more than happy to share
Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:43 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Every journalist here is struggling. There isn't enough news worthy of print
Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Gabby
A journo called Gabby. ****** priceless
Old Dec 30th 2007, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mate

would be more than happy to share
Thanks Gabby. The lack of response on here doesn't look too hopeful! Think Luke has a bit of a point there too!

Oh well, I'm half thinking of changing to anthropology or sociology or something anyway

Good luck with finding stuff to pay the bills (I suspect a huge part of it is who you know) - get out there and network like a you know what!
Old Dec 30th 2007, 7:53 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I've found more work for the UK press since I got here, than I did when I was there. Those GBP to AUD conversions are lovely too.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 7:58 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Every journalist here is struggling. There isn't enough news worthy of print
There is always the yearly Daylight Savings debate ... followed by fuoridation.

And ... er ... the weather.

It amazes me The Courier Mail fills over 80 pages each day, they are probably just reprinting from last year, nobody would notice ... in any case most of the 'articles' seem to be sourced from outside of Oz (an alarming number from The Daily Mail )
Old Dec 30th 2007, 8:07 am
Account Closed

The OH is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Gabby
I have a contact at the GCB and can send you her email address if you wish

send me a PM
Old Dec 30th 2007, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hutch
I've found more work for the UK press since I got here, than I did when I was there. Those GBP to AUD conversions are lovely too.

Yes I think I might go back and beg for my column back, cap in hand and all . I am sure I can find something funny about the aussies to tell the brits !!

Originally Posted by framac
A journo called Gabby. ****** priceless
OHH Yes I am priceless

Originally Posted by The OH
I have a contact at the GCB and can send you her email address if you wish

send me a PM
Thanks very much will PM you x
Old Dec 30th 2007, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
There is always the yearly Daylight Savings debate ... followed by fuoridation.

And ... er ... the weather.

It amazes me The Courier Mail fills over 80 pages each day, they are probably just reprinting from last year, nobody would notice ... in any case most of the 'articles' seem to be sourced from outside of Oz (an alarming number from The Daily Mail )
For the first year here, I assumed I was in 'groundhog day', because I was always reading articles in the Courier Mail that I could have sworn I had read the day before.

Then I started checking, and they DO do the same story two days running. First day they have just got the feed from Reuters or Associated press, and they run it verbatim, second day one of their journalists writes it up, adds in local details (no australians were killed in this incident etc). But it is the same story, and large chunks are cut and paste from the news feed.

Now of course we have that free newsheet on the way home from work 'Mx' which is just the trashy stories culled form the Courier Mail, so now I'm reading the same stories 3 times in 2 days.

I really should start reading 'The Age' . The Courier Mail is somewhere between 'The Sun' and 'The Daily Mail' in UK terms. And thats not a good place to be

JTL
Old Dec 30th 2007, 12:27 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

You may already have tried but here is my suggestion. Do an article on being a Pom in Aus. The whole applying for visa, moving, getting started over here, differences, what you love about Aus (especially that bit) etc and send off to every and any paper. They love those stories. You never know it may get picked up and be a start.