Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Joining the kids gone back to UK club

Joining the kids gone back to UK club

Old May 10th 2009, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Joining the kids gone back to UK club

Well its official. Eldest son is moving back to UK, tickets bought.

Its ironic, hes the one who settled the best I knew in particular the youngest would never stay here, from age 10 he was trying out for a school that offered the IB so he could escpape but the oldest really got into aussie mates etc, sport etc. Howeer last year, him and aussie GF went to UK, and came back saying that was it, finish all their studies then they would be off. Their recent experiences with jobs/recession has played a part, both have leads for employment in UK, and family have offered them temp accom to start.

bugger
Old May 10th 2009, 10:17 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joining the kids gone back to UK club

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Its ironic, hes the one who settled the best I knew in particular the youngest would never stay here, from age 10 he was trying out for a school that offered the IB so he could escpape but the oldest really got into aussie mates etc, sport etc. Howeer last year, him and aussie GF went to UK, and came back saying that was it, finish all their studies then they would be off. Their recent experiences with jobs/recession has played a part, both have leads for employment in UK, and family have offered them temp accom to start.

bugger
Sorry to hear that. No doubt you will be feeling sad about it right now. All you can do is let him follow the path that he feels is right for him and hope for the best. Wanderlust. Give it a year or two in this overcrowded and grey old place and he'll be back

Regards,

Paul
Old May 10th 2009, 10:21 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

bugger
Sorry to hear that mate.

Good for them though as the UK has so much more for them at that age.
Originally Posted by paulry
Sorry to hear that. No doubt you will be feeling sad about it right now. All you can do is let him follow the path that he feels is right for him and hope for the best. Wanderlust. Give it a year or two in this overcrowded and grey old place and he'll be back

Regards,

Paul

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old May 10th 2009, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

bugger
Yup, often happens when young Aussies see what the rest of the world has to offer. One of mine went for a "gap year" almost 7 years ago and hasnt come back - well, only to clear out his bedroom. He has a great career and a nice girlfriend and certainly wont be back for the next 10 years or more. I dont think young Aussies who have escaped have quite the same view about returning to this small pond once they have seen what the rest of the world can do. Ironic or what?!

Are you guys staying or will you be heading off as well?
Old May 10th 2009, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser

Good for them though as the UK has so much more for them at that age.

Yehp have to agree with that statement. My Daughter starts her 5th year in the UK in September, she was only going for a working holiday and to see if she could further her career. Mine was born and raised here in Aus as posters on this thread thus far know.

She Loves London, and now has moved to within walking distance of her work by locating at the Angel Islington.

She Assures us she will be back in Aus one day, around the time she decides to start a family, but it seems she is in no hurry. We thought she was coming back this year but had a late change of heart, mostly because of the job situation here v what she reckons she can get in London.

Oh well who knows.

She's been back here for a holiday twice already, and as she moves up the economic ladder distance should become less of a worry.

Good luck to your Family J&R....

I'm secretly hoping my daughter buys a flat in London that I can stay at in the future whenever needs be ..... Every cloud etc etc

BTW shes after another career change that will be 3 in 5 years almost.,... this time leasing commercial real estate in the square mile, she was head hunted by the company she leased her latest flat off. (Trainee buyer for a Fashion Company.... Temp Agency desk for media people.... and now This Commercial real estate enterprise)

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 10th 2009 at 10:57 pm.
Old May 11th 2009, 12:21 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I've got no doubt whatsoever that my son will move to the UK when he's old enough. Why wouldn't you? All those new things to see and do. No different, in the grand scheme of things, to the reason many of us upped sticks and moved to Oz. I'd be sad if he didn't try it, to be honest.
Old May 11th 2009, 2:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in the London Southern Hemisphere (Aussie, Kiwi, Saffa) community for 3 years and had a brilliant time, it was a total blast. Plenty of partying and travelling - London really is the best place in the world to be based for this lifestyle.
As you get older though your priorities change, which is why most eventually end up moving home, or in my case to Australia.
Old May 11th 2009, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

bugger
Good for him but sad for you.

Wish him well and let him experience everything there is to experience - very hard when they are you children (grown or not) - but gets easier with time.

xx
Old May 11th 2009, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

If its any consolation I have a couple of mates whose kids decided they wanted to go back to the UK......................18 months later they all came back!! Fingers crossed for you!
Old May 11th 2009, 10:43 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
I've got no doubt whatsoever that my son will move to the UK when he's old enough. Why wouldn't you? All those new things to see and do. No different, in the grand scheme of things, to the reason many of us upped sticks and moved to Oz. I'd be sad if he didn't try it, to be honest.
Kills me to say this, but spot on.
Old May 11th 2009, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I know it is tough on you as the parents but isn't it great that they have these opportunities & to know that you have raised them with the courage & motivation to make the most of life?!
Old May 11th 2009, 10:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Originally Posted by sallyclaire
I know it is tough on you as the parents but isn't it great that they have these opportunities & to know that you have raised them with the courage & motivation to make the most of life?!
Agree totally with both of these comments. The fact that our kids can easily upsticks and move around the world is fantastic especially when they have more than one passport. It'll be sad for you but who knows what the future holds for any of us. He could be back in a year, he could stay for ages and even migrate to the US who knows. Hope he has a blast.
Old May 12th 2009, 1:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
If its any consolation I have a couple of mates whose kids decided they wanted to go back to the UK......................18 months later they all came back!! Fingers crossed for you!
Having made the move yourselves, how would you have felt if your friends and family were wishing you well to your face, and secretly hoping you'd fail. I hope they make what they want of their lives the way you have.
Old May 12th 2009, 2:08 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish
Having made the move yourselves, how would you have felt if your friends and family were wishing you well to your face, and secretly hoping you'd fail. I hope they make what they want of their lives the way you have.
I know what you mean, it seems at odds with wanting the best for someone. But "hoping that it fails" is out of love, not malice.
Old May 12th 2009, 2:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paulry
I know what you mean, it seems at odds with wanting the best for someone. But "hoping that it fails" is out of love, not malice.
I can see that, I hope I can practise what I preach if and when the time comes for my kids. It'll rip my guts out to be honest but I hope I wish for them, what I wanted our friends and family to wish for us.

Does that make any sense at all?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.