Wikiposts

Job Losses

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:00 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job Losses

http://business.smh.com.au/business/...1104-5hnu.html
All over for Allco.

The move marks the first local casualty of the global credit crisis and spells bad news for companies like ABC Learning and Babcock & Brown that are also struggling under their debt burdens.

Allco, which had been weighed down by its debt of $666 million, appointed Tony McGrath and Joseph Hayes of McGrathNichol as administrators.
These are the vultures that attempted the private equity takeover of QANTAS. Thankfully Maquarie Bank ruined its reputation and screwed up the takeover. Otherwise QANTAS will have been burdened with the debt used for the takeover and its aircraft sold and leased back.

This will generate a number of redundancies of very high earners.

One piece of commentary I read was that APRA feared a much larger scale similiar situation with Mac Bank hence they split with a massive share issue. That share issue may have left its investors with a 50% loss but also has probably left the group capitalised just enough to scrape through.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:46 pm

http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/nat...1105-5if9.html
If the trend continued, they warned, Victoria's agriculture exports would decline and the state could struggle to feed the population.

Dairy farmers Jenny and Wilf Reuther are among those leading the exodus. They made the hard decision to quit their 69-hectare farm at Tongala, near Kyabram, in August after 32 years
Some rural areas are finding it much tougher and I doubt the banks are making it easier for the farmers.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:48 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Recession ??? we're stacked out with work and they want me to do some overtime....I DONT WANT ANY OVERTIME !!!

Lee
Well bully for you, I've LOST all mine, which eqautes to over $100 take home per week. After over 14 years it's abit of a kick in the pants.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 8:26 am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...ction=business

The Retailers Association says the economic downturn is hitting Victoria's small retailers harder than any other state.

It says the state's retail sector has suffered the biggest fall in full time job numbers in the country.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Well I wouldnt worry too much about the little people loosing their jobs because I bet most of them don't have 5 or 6 investment properties negatively geared. I would be more concerned about the forthcomming job losses in the banks such as St George when the merge with Westpac and the losses in the pipeline at the bank I work for. When that happens I am expecting to see a lot of investment properties going on the market at bargain prices for a quick sale.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 9:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by isgraham
I would be more concerned about the forthcomming job losses in the banks such as St George when the merge with Westpac and the losses in the pipeline at the bank I work for.
"Westpac has stated that, if the merger proceeds, each brand will continue to operate separately as they do currently. St.George's unique identity and approach to operating the business would be preserved."

Maybe Westpac can be penalised if they have been found to be lying about that ?

Old Nov 5th 2008, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
"Westpac has stated that, if the merger proceeds, each brand will continue to operate separately as they do currently. St.George's unique identity and approach to operating the business would be preserved."

They could be penalised if that is part of their submission to the ACCC. Even then the ACCC would have to say whether that impacted competition. If it did impact competition then I doubt the ACCC would have allowed the deal in its current form. Westpac can pretty much do as they like as I suspect the statement was more to oil the political process.

There will be an integration project that will look for duplication of function at the head offices. Westpac IT is outsourced and St George insourced. Westpac have a major upgrade project and will probably use it to jettison one of the systems.

I predict they will jettison Novell at St George which is one of their biggest customers downunder. Novell have people dedicated to supporting St George who may lose their positions. In the short term it creates a consulting firms dream. I suspect Bangalore will do very well out of the deal.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 11:41 am

http://business.smh.com.au/business/...1106-5iy7.html
The labour force gained 34,300 jobs, seasonally adjusted, compared with a gain of 2,200 positions in September, data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics shows. Economists had predicted job losses of 10,000.

The unemployment rate was unchaged at 4.3%, staying near three decade lows.
It will be interesting to know where those jobs are.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 11:51 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

That's so much BS. I've heard it many times regarding mergers, including 2 that I have been involved with as an employee. what the hell is the point in a merger if that was the case?
Old Nov 5th 2008, 11:52 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Don't think we will be seeing any more "leveraged buyouts" for quite a long time.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
That's 25k in Aus dollars, and if you think that's expensive then you obviously haven't looked !!. Get yourself down to your nearest Hardly Normal, assuming you are in Oz, and check out the price of cookers
I agree, not a lot in terms of kitchens...... been doing some research as would dearly love to rip out the old thing we've got at the moment.... and I was pricing up from a Bunnings (!) kitchen catalogue too, hardly top of the range...

In response to someone else's question yes, I do think we're talking ourselves into it, mainly fueled by the media and it's doom and gloom loving outlook on life.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 12:27 pm

http://business.smh.com.au/business/...1106-5iys.html
ABC Child Care gone bust.
Banks line up

Only last week the Commonwealth Bank moved to protect its loans of at least $600 million with an unlimited charge over ABC's assets, which include more than 1200 centres in Australia and New Zealand.

The bank has already written down $100 million worth of ABC Learning notes it held.

Westpac, ANZ and the National Australia Bank are also owed more than $100 million each.

They have been supporting the company since it was plunged into crisis in February when it announced its half-year earnings had fallen 42% after hefty property developer payments were stripped out of its accounts on the orders of its new auditors.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

If that was the real plan it wouldnt have been allowed by shareholders. The Brands may well be allowed to continue but back office jobs will go for sure. Otherwise what is the point in the deal?
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:23 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Those death spasms had been going on for a while...
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
I do think we're talking ourselves into it, mainly fueled by the media and it's doom and gloom loving outlook on life.
You are joking?

This is the most unquestioning media that I've ever come across. Vested interest groups are allowed to give opinions as facts with no cross-examination by news presenters (my view is that the news presenters don't actually understand enough of the issues to pose curly questions).
Even the ABC yesterday allowed the Real Estate institute to talk up the market again ("a good time to get into the market, blah, blah blah") with not one question to challenge his bias.

Until very recently, everything in Australia was rosy. It can't happen here. Houses are fine. China is great. Mining is great. Even when people on the ground were querying these statements. Wayne Swan began to look more and more ridiculous with his positive spin but the media lapped it up.

Last edited by NKSK version 2; Nov 5th 2008 at 1:37 pm. Reason: change

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.