Job Losses

Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job Losses

If anything will send Australia into recession it will be Job losses.

Just wondered if anyone here knew anyone personally here in Australia someone that has lost a job as a result of the current turmoil. I would have anticipated that WA and the mining industry could be badly hit by this, hopefully I'm wrong. What I'm most interested in, is how people fare after a job loss. IE: can/do they get another job.

My report for last week. One of our Parttimers at Apost in Preston, Melbourne got made Fulltime as she had been working full time for a year and that is Aussie Post Policy. The Parttime position she had is being filled by a new Parttimer. Hopefully this will cut back the heavy load of overtime we've endured for the past 15 months or so.

So you can count 2 jobs created from my end.

Hows it going where you are ?
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:17 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Losses

Recession ??? we're stacked out with work and they want me to do some overtime....I DONT WANT ANY OVERTIME !!!

Lee
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:53 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Well, cheery soul that i am - theres definately been job losses here in Adelaide due to the economic downturn...
so far just manufacturing - but once it starts the ball keeps rolling and snowballing...

KOH been laid off twice now due to loss of work/contracts etc
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:22 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Well here's a starter for 300+ job losses.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...62-643,00.html
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, losses in the charity sector as the donations arent coming in like they used to.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katsmajic
Well, cheery soul that i am - theres definately been job losses here in Adelaide due to the economic downturn...
so far just manufacturing - but once it starts the ball keeps rolling and snowballing...

KOH been laid off twice now due to loss of work/contracts etc
Australia was losing Manufacturing jobs when the Country was booming, the scapegoat then... cheap goods from China and changed market conditions.

Look at this from 2006, when the country was really booming.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-135673059.html

http://melbourne.indymedia.org/news/2006/11/131929.php

I would say the difference could be, that back in 2006 it was easier to find another job, whereas now it could turn out to be difficult.

Thats why I want to see how people fare in this current round of job cut, to see whether they actually stay unemployed.

BTW... 2 more jobs created this Month at the Royal Melbourne, they have taken on 2 new nursing positions in the Psychiatric ward (John Caine Ward)
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Well here's a starter for 300+ job losses.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...62-643,00.html
Heres 10,500 vacancies All in the Melbourne Region.

http://jobsearch.gov.au/findajob/Map...regionkey=VMEL

My point being that there have been large organisation closures aplenty in the last 20 years.... I was one of 3,000 that lost our jobs at the Gas and Fuel... It took me 5 months to find another Full time job, during the last Asian recession, but I did it and at age 42 with no Experience thanks to the post office.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 27th 2008 at 7:34 am.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:43 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Husband's in mining, in the last month he's got a promotion and a hefty raise. So things are looking good for us (so far anyway!).
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:47 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

The job losses will come from decisions like the one I took regarding have a new kitchen installed. I planned to spend about 25k on it and that money is now going nowhere but my bank account. With no doubt thousands of people making similar decisions the job cuts are bound to follow
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:47 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hubbie has been laying staff off for the past few weeks and continuing. Not a nice time, especially before christmas.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 9:40 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
If anything will send Australia into recession it will be Job losses.

Just wondered if anyone here knew anyone personally here in Australia someone that has lost a job as a result of the current turmoil. I would have anticipated that WA and the mining industry could be badly hit by this, hopefully I'm wrong. What I'm most interested in, is how people fare after a job loss. IE: can/do they get another job.

My report for last week. One of our Parttimers at Apost in Preston, Melbourne got made Fulltime as she had been working full time for a year and that is Aussie Post Policy. The Parttime position she had is being filled by a new Parttimer. Hopefully this will cut back the heavy load of overtime we've endured for the past 15 months or so.

So you can count 2 jobs created from my end.

Hows it going where you are ?
First you have to ask why there are job losses and what sectors they are hitting?

Where I work there was a takeover and that was due to the inability to finance a project. The new company is financing the project but has made 100 redundant in Sydney.

The next stage which I am witnessing is cut backs in expenditure here and there. Christmass party is now a lunch, mobile costs are being scrutinised, unnecesary travel cut and other bits here and there. Full integration and the associated redundancies are yet to happen.

So far none of our customers are cutting back but some of the mines are uneconomic. I am not sure how long that will be allowed to carry on. Our key commodity that sent the share price soaring has halved and the share price has more than halved.

QANTAS has reported a drop in bookings, probably due to actions like I outlined above as well as a drop in consumer confidence. QANTAS has cut back on recruitment and graduate employment programs are being cut. Those I know who work in finance are witnessing a recruitment freeze and job losses. So far the numbers are small but next financial year we will really see what this means for Australia.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

I want to pose another question........

Do you think we are "talking" ourselves into a recession ?

so much doom & gloom reported.......no "real" signs i.e. order books were full but have started to slow down due to people becoming nervous ..... take the OP above with the kitchen...........obviously still wants/needs a kitchen but is now holding off from ordering the work

How the bloody hell do you get to 25k for a kitchen is it on it's own block of land
Old Oct 27th 2008, 1:39 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rossi

How the bloody hell do you get to 25k for a kitchen is it on it's own block of land
must be shopping here

http://www.robinsonandcornish.co.uk/kitchen_ferrari.asp

look in bottom right corner £130000
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:51 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
The job losses will come from decisions like the one I took regarding have a new kitchen installed. I planned to spend about 25k on it and that money is now going nowhere but my bank account. With no doubt thousands of people making similar decisions the job cuts are bound to follow
Spot on. First really tangible sign for me was yesterday with a decent sized job we quoted for 6 months ago. Huge house, big extensions, etc... They've now got the DA through but are not doing the additions, so can they have a new quote to cover the existing house... "Hubby is in the City and things aren't great..."
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:54 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
must be shopping here

http://www.robinsonandcornish.co.uk/kitchen_ferrari.asp

look in bottom right corner £130000
I know someone in the UK whose wife spent a figure not totally unadjacent to 250,000 on a nice kitchen...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.