Wikiposts

Job Losses

Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:06 pm
Banned

Sherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really nice
Default Re: Job Losses

Originally Posted by sram466
.... like everyone else, i'm deeply concern of the chance of getting a job in Melbourne ...
What industry were you hoping to get into sram ?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:26 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
The Australian today:

Premier Colin Barnett is keen to play it down, but a forecast by BIS Shrapnel this week that up to 20,000 jobs will go in the west over the next few years caused more heart flutters.

There has only been one really big hit so far, with BHP's decision to close its Ravensthorpe nickel mine costing 1800 jobs. Other jobs have gone, but in smaller numbers.

BIS Shrapnel senior economist Richard Robinson appeared to shock the Premier when he claimed years of pain lay ahead.... Robinson says it is reality. After jobs in the WA mining sector soared from 52,000 to 71,000 in a year, he says it's clear they cannot be sustained. "The mining investment boom is over and you'll see more projects pushed back. Probably by the middle of 2011 or even by the end of 2011, you'll lose about 20,000 jobs."
We supply that mine so the losses will be wider. The biggest cut backs are off the radar as they usually involve cancelled projects. I believe 300 contractors lost their positions in QLD as a result of a project work cancelled. More will have lost positions in the town down the road.

On the plus side Woolworths are creating 6000 jobs. Being retail I cannot see them being high paying positions, especially when compared with what mining pays. I also wonder how many will be part time jobs with poor conditions. I work in the resources sector now and have worked in one of the highest margin areas of retail. Give me resources anyday. Resources is much better.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice
Smile Re: Job Losses

Originally Posted by Sherpa
What industry were you hoping to get into sram ?
I'm looking at Telecom/IT related industry ... have 15 years of working experience in Mobile Telecom. Hoping to secure an offer before moving down to Melbourne.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:05 pm
Banned

Sherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really nice

I'm looking at Telecom/IT related industry ... have 15 years of working experience in Mobile Telecom. Hoping to secure an offer before moving down to Melbourne.
Good luck to you sram.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice

Good luck to you sram.
Hi Sherpa, if I may ask which industry are you currently in? Any vacancy ?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 10:08 pm

Good luck in getting the offer before you move. You will find life improves when you get here as recruiters will then take you seriously. A stint contracting maybe necessary to get some local experience on the CV.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:13 am
Banned

Hi Sherpa, if I may ask which industry are you currently in? Any vacancy ?
Transport & logistics ,job losses are on the cards ! It may be a good idea to stay put until things look abit clearer or you may regret leaving your last job.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IvanM
Good luck in getting the offer before you move. You will find life improves when you get here as recruiters will then take you seriously. A stint contracting maybe necessary to get some local experience on the CV.
Thanks, noted the point.

Transport & logistics ,job losses are on the cards ! It may be a good idea to stay put until things look abit clearer or you may regret leaving your last job.
Sad to hear this, hope for the best and that you keep working. Good luck.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 7:38 am

Domino's pizza are expanding do plenty of great jobs there.