Jerusalem Poem/Hymn

Old Nov 28th 2013, 11:43 pm
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold
Default Jerusalem Poem/Hymn

Heard the Barmy Army do a rendition of this.

Bearing in mind that Blake was tried for High Treason for having 'uttered seditious and treasonable expressions' but was acquitted.

I think that there is more to this Poem than meets the eye.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 12:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jerusalem Poem/Hymn

Originally Posted by Ballys
Heard the Barmy Army do a rendition of this.

Bearing in mind that Blake was tried for High Treason for having 'uttered seditious and treasonable expressions' but was acquitted.

I think that there is more to this Poem than meets the eye.
It's about Jesus visiting England and the destructive nature of the early industrial revolution

It was played at my son's christening so has some meaning to me
Old Nov 29th 2013, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

The Dark Satanic Mills are actually the Churches trying to stifle the common man, hence the furious suppression of the works.
(Studied Blake at Uni as part of C18th literature -an early Romantic poet, he was very much against organised religion and the loss of the "innocence" of people as they were straightjacketed into the prevailing religious dogma of what to think.)
It is not about the factories as most people think, but about how Christ, the Innocent Lamb was hijacked by religion which had its own agenda. See Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience, and look at the drawings too. There is always a hidden meaning in Blake's work, but it isn't always the one that people think it is.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Pleased to hear that it's played as England's anthem at the Commonwealth Games. If Scotland becomes independant next year and adopt it's own anthem (no doubt "Flower of Scotland") and Wales of course has Hen Wlad fy Nhadau then I expect England will need to officially adopt an anthem. Land of Hope and Glory seems to be a bit out of kilter with Land of recession and surveillance methinks, so something a bit mysterious like Jerusalem could be ideal. What's a good Northern Ireland song?
Old Nov 29th 2013, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

As my wife is from Glastonbury this was played at our wedding (fabulous tune) - Jesus was said to have travelled to Glastonbury as a small child with his uncle Joseph of Arimathea.

(I believe he was disappointed that the Glastonbury Festival was delayed by 2,000 odd years)
Old Nov 29th 2013, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Wasn't he supposed to be in Utah at that time?
Old Nov 29th 2013, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
Pleased to hear that it's played as England's anthem at the Commonwealth Games. If Scotland becomes independant next year and adopt it's own anthem (no doubt "Flower of Scotland") and Wales of course has Hen Wlad fy Nhadau then I expect England will need to officially adopt an anthem. Land of Hope and Glory seems to be a bit out of kilter with Land of recession and surveillance methinks, so something a bit mysterious like Jerusalem could be ideal. What's a good Northern Ireland song?
England's National Anthem.

Old Nov 29th 2013, 1:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper
As my wife is from Glastonbury this was played at our wedding (fabulous tune) - Jesus was said to have travelled to Glastonbury as a small child with his uncle Joseph of Arimathea.

(I believe he was disappointed that the Glastonbury Festival was delayed by 2,000 odd years)
Is she really? I was born there too
Old Nov 29th 2013, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Is she really? I was born there too
Well a small world indeed ! She's born & bred there (well strictly speaking she was born in Baltonsborough or was it Butleigh ?!). Parents still there, on a farm out at Wick. Brother living in Wells. Her mother has been Mayor a couple of times.

Fabulous part of the world.

Mrs Haggis is 47, think she went to St Dunstans.

And you Polly ?!
Old Nov 29th 2013, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Well a small world indeed ! She's born & bred there (well strictly speaking she was born in Baltonsborough or was it Butleigh ?!). Parents still there, on a farm out at Wick. Brother living in Wells. Her mother has been Mayor a couple of times.

And you Polly ?!
Polly's a 100 and went to St Trinians
Old Nov 29th 2013, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TheCreature
Nice one !
Old Nov 30th 2013, 3:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

And you Polly ?!
Butleigh Cottage Hospital maybe?!!! My Dad was the vicar at West Pennard. We had friends who owned the dairy farm at the base of the Tor and grew up climbing the hill for fun Moved away when I was 6 but I still love going back there, beautiful area and I adore Glastonbury, very mystical feel to the place.

Originally Posted by TheCreature
Not quite half that, and I went to Hogwarts
Old Nov 30th 2013, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Great tune but bastardized / hijacked by the militant WI

Can't take any song seriously that a group of old age Tory women fussing about Victoria sponge and jam use as an anthem.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jon77
Great tune but bastardized / hijacked by the militant WI
Are you talking about Jerusalem on my Ten Pole Tudor?