Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Jan 1st - Are you going to quit the weed?

Jan 1st - Are you going to quit the weed?

Old Dec 25th 2007, 12:34 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jan 1st - Are you going to quit the weed?

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Yeah I DO remember feeling better after a few months. As I say food got tastier but my sense of smell too!

I KNOW it makes sense, but can be weak at times so posting it here will make it all the harder to back down ...

When I first gave up (1990 ish) I'd recently bought a lovely Zippo, and it was only a few days later I threw that and a recently bought pack of B&H on the table at work and said "who wants em?" ... didn't smoke for 9 months!

Can't recall the trigger then, but as I say it's the want to stay away from them that'll be the hard bit!
Does Nic smoke? If she does...then it will be easier if you give up together like Carl and I do.
This time is the easiest by far...maybe the 'right' time ....hope it's the same for you.
Anyway...if you do go back, then I'll find out...and then I'll have to nag you ...and you wouldn't like that
Old Dec 25th 2007, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Paul.

I gave up about 10 years ago (40 a day habit) and like your FIL, I still want one every so often - but it is easy to resist if you just think about why you gave up in the first place.

I used sugar free gum, every time I wanted a fag, I'd chew some gum. It might help you. Someone else I know had a glass of orange juice every time he wanted one. Worked for him!

The best thing to do is to change your routine. Cut out the things you do which you associate with having a fag. I even changed my car, because I used to smoke in it and I got a nice fresh smelling one, which didn't stink of smoke!!

As other's have said, you need to WANT to do it. If you do, you'll succeed and after reading your back in the UK thread, I'd say that what ever you put your mind to, you'll achieve!
Old Dec 25th 2007, 12:54 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
Does Nic smoke? If she does...then it will be easier if you give up together like Carl and I do.
This time is the easiest by far...maybe the 'right' time ....hope it's the same for you.
Anyway...if you do go back, then I'll find out...and then I'll have to nag you ...and you wouldn't like that
No Nic gave up when she first got pregnant so 20 years ago. I envy her as she's one of them people that can literally smoke 1 or 2 in a night and never again for months or years!

Prob 5 every 5 years! ... :curse:

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Good luck Paul.

I gave up about 10 years ago (40 a day habit) and like your FIL, I still want one every so often - but it is easy to resist if you just think about why you gave up in the first place.

I used sugar free gum, every time I wanted a fag, I'd chew some gum. It might help you. Someone else I know had a glass of orange juice every time he wanted one. Worked for him!

The best thing to do is to change your routine. Cut out the things you do which you associate with having a fag. I even changed my car, because I used to smoke in it and I got a nice fresh smelling one, which didn't stink of smoke!!

As other's have said, you need to WANT to do it. If you do, you'll succeed and after reading your back in the UK thread, I'd say that what ever you put your mind to, you'll achieve!
Yeah habits will be hard as it's normally a cup o cha and a cig first thing in the morn for me.

WBG
Old Dec 25th 2007, 12:59 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

No Nic gave up when she first got pregnant so 20 years ago. I envy her as she's one of them people that can literally smoke 1 or 2 in a night and never again for months or years!

WBG
I wish I could do that .... it's all or nothing for me

Goodnight
Old Dec 25th 2007, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I could do that - I daren't risk it though.

Yeah habits will be hard as it's normally a cup o cha and a cig first thing in the morn for me.

WBG
Do you like coffee?? Change to a cup of coffee instead, different taste, no association with fags!

Also, don't think of it forever. Just give up for 2 weeks. Once you've done that long, you will know you can do some more 2 week stretches. If you 'fall by the wayside', then you can start another 2 weeks, all is not lost.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 2:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Do you like coffee?? Change to a cup of coffee instead, different taste, no association with fags!

Also, don't think of it forever. Just give up for 2 weeks. Once you've done that long, you will know you can do some more 2 week stretches. If you 'fall by the wayside', then you can start another 2 weeks, all is not lost.
I LOVE coffee, but that's not good for you either so only in moderation these days.

Yeah I've heard of the 'bit by bit' approach to giving up stuff, but I need to think it's forever, just works better I think. I said already but I almost already know it'll be the random day or whatever 6 or 9 months down the line where I'll need to be strong!

Still, this was posted elsewhere on here and I've bookmarked the post to refer to later ...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=126

here is a timetable of the benefits of giving up

# 20 minutes
Your blood pressure, pulse rate, and the temperature of your hands and feet will all return to normal.
# 12 hours
Your blood oxygen level will have increased to normal and carbon monoxide levels will have dropped to normal.
# 48 hours
Damaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal.
# 72 hours
Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites will now have passed from your body via your urine. You can also expect the symptoms of chemical withdrawal to have peaked in intensity. Your bronchial tubes are beginning to relax thus making it easier to breathe. Your lung capacity has also started to increase.
# 10 days to 2 weeks
Your body has physically adjusted to again functioning without nicotine and the more than 3,500 chemical particles and 500 gases present in each and every puff.
# 2 weeks to 3 months
Your heart attack risk has started to drop. Your lung function is beginning to improve.
# 3 weeks to 3 months
Your circulation has substantially improved. Walking has become easier. Your chronic cough, if any, has likely disappeared.
# 1 to 9 months
Any smoking related sinus congestion, fatigue or shortness of breath have decreased. Cilia have regrown in your lungs thereby increasing their ability to handle mucus, keep your lungs clean, and reduce infections. Your body's overall energy has increased.
# 1 year
Your excess risk of coronary heart disease has dropped to less than half that of a smoker.
# 5 to 15 years
Your risk of stroke has declined to that of a non-smoker.
# 10 years
Your risk of death from lung cancer has declined by almost half if you were an average smoker (one pack per day). Your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat and esophagus has now decreased.
# 15 years
Your risk of coronary heart disease is now that of a person who has never smoked.

Sounds good to me!
Old Dec 25th 2007, 4:11 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
I do feel a hell of a lot better when I'm not smoking.

Finish them all over the next week...and then chuck everything - but do what I did...keep a couple of cigs ...my theory is that if you CAN'T have something...then you REALLY want it ...but if you can have something...then the desire is not there so much....but maybe that's me.
I have a beautiful Zippo lighter that I can't part with either.
Yeah, I forgot, I kept a package of cigs in a drawer in the kitchen, with the lighter ready (also a Zippo, going down memory lane). For me it indeed was important to have it there. Otherwise if I would have wanted one, I would have searched everywhere to find a half smoked cig of someone else in the ashtray and lighted that . Yes, an addict. After six years I lighted a cigarette and I liked it so much it scared me so I threw it away and never (I just don't dare) touched one again. Now I have to do the same with food.....although it's impossible to stop with that altogether
Old Dec 25th 2007, 6:59 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

I am! ...

again! ...

Always said I'd kick it once I got to Oz and did 2 months after arriving.

I lasted from May to November, coincidentally when my mum arrived ...

To be honest it was a major stress and call me weak, but I gave in and was back smoking and have since.

I smoke probably 10 day, have done for years and prob 20 on a night out (blue moon time), but we all know ONE is too much!

On my medical it was noted that I had 'cloudy' lungs and advised to give up!

The time is right, the time now!

Well, 01/01/2008 to be exact! ... wish me luck!

Anyone else in?
I'll be there with ya Paul - got a prescription of Zyban all ready to go - far too weak willed to go it alone
Fingers crossed this time it'll be for good - currently smurking 50 a day (Aussies fault for selling em in such huge boxes) so REALLY need to quit!!!

Will still be smoking for the first 7 days of the treatment but then gotta go cold turkey, with the help of the pills of course!
Old Dec 25th 2007, 10:02 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

I went cold turkey 3 years ago.... 3 stone heavier and I'm off to fat club hence my new years resolution being to diet
Just don't substitute the lack of fags for food as I did. For me it was that there wasn't an 'end' to your meal - you eat then have a smoke.
I changed it to have a meal then a biscuit, then a bag of crisp, then an apple.... you get the drift.
All the best with it
J x
Old Dec 25th 2007, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
I'll be there with ya Paul - got a prescription of Zyban all ready to go - far too weak willed to go it alone
Fingers crossed this time it'll be for good - currently smurking 50 a day (Aussies fault for selling em in such huge boxes) so REALLY need to quit!!!

Will still be smoking for the first 7 days of the treatment but then gotta go cold turkey, with the help of the pills of course!
Excellent! ... that's one!

Yeah 50 a day is a worrying amount I reckon.

We'll be right! ...

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
I went cold turkey 3 years ago.... 3 stone heavier and I'm off to fat club hence my new years resolution being to diet
Just don't substitute the lack of fags for food as I did. For me it was that there wasn't an 'end' to your meal - you eat then have a smoke.
I changed it to have a meal then a biscuit, then a bag of crisp, then an apple.... you get the drift.
All the best with it
J x
Yeah easily done I know ...

Cheers
Old Dec 25th 2007, 3:25 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

I LOVE coffee, but that's not good for you either so only in moderation these days.

Yeah I've heard of the 'bit by bit' approach to giving up stuff, but I need to think it's forever, just works better I think. I said already but I almost already know it'll be the random day or whatever 6 or 9 months down the line where I'll need to be strong!

Still, this was posted elsewhere on here and I've bookmarked the post to refer to later ...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=126

here is a timetable of the benefits of giving up

# 20 minutes
Your blood pressure, pulse rate, and the temperature of your hands and feet will all return to normal.
# 12 hours
Your blood oxygen level will have increased to normal and carbon monoxide levels will have dropped to normal.
# 48 hours
Damaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal.
# 72 hours
Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites will now have passed from your body via your urine. You can also expect the symptoms of chemical withdrawal to have peaked in intensity. Your bronchial tubes are beginning to relax thus making it easier to breathe. Your lung capacity has also started to increase.
# 10 days to 2 weeks
Your body has physically adjusted to again functioning without nicotine and the more than 3,500 chemical particles and 500 gases present in each and every puff.
# 2 weeks to 3 months
Your heart attack risk has started to drop. Your lung function is beginning to improve.
# 3 weeks to 3 months
Your circulation has substantially improved. Walking has become easier. Your chronic cough, if any, has likely disappeared.
# 1 to 9 months
Any smoking related sinus congestion, fatigue or shortness of breath have decreased. Cilia have regrown in your lungs thereby increasing their ability to handle mucus, keep your lungs clean, and reduce infections. Your body's overall energy has increased.
# 1 year
Your excess risk of coronary heart disease has dropped to less than half that of a smoker.
# 5 to 15 years
Your risk of stroke has declined to that of a non-smoker.
# 10 years
Your risk of death from lung cancer has declined by almost half if you were an average smoker (one pack per day). Your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat and esophagus has now decreased.
# 15 years
Your risk of coronary heart disease is now that of a person who has never smoked.

Sounds good to me!
3 working days - You have lost all contact with office gossip, have failed to see the impending restructure, have lost your job and now drinking neat Anti-freeze ... or Wolf Blass/Sirromet wine, whichever is nastier.

Seriously, good luck, if anyone has a nice Zippo that they don't have a use for then just forward it on here
Old Dec 25th 2007, 3:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
3 working days - You have lost all contact with office gossip, have failed to see the impending restructure, have lost your job and now drinking neat Anti-freeze ... or Wolf Blass/Sirromet wine, whichever is nastier.

Seriously, good luck, if anyone has a nice Zippo that they don't have a use for then just forward it on here
LOL

Cheers, I have a few throw away's which'll prob be kept to light candles!
Old Dec 25th 2007, 3:36 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL

Cheers, I have a few throw away's which'll prob be kept to light candles!
Aye, and keep a few fags handy just in case you get trapped in a room booby-trapped with lasers.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Aye, and keep a few fags handy just in case you get trapped in a room booby-trapped with lasers.
Good call! ...
Old Dec 30th 2007, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
I'll be there with ya Paul - got a prescription of Zyban all ready to go!
Are we still in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.