British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   It's all in the wording........ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/its-all-wording-899837/)

spuddyo Jul 19th 2017 11:48 pm

It's all in the wording........

So a few weeks ago Mrs Spud bought a fairly expensive item of clothing from a dress maker, all made to measure and a bit fancy. Two weeks later some small threads in the embroidery started getting loose and falling off.

She sent an email to the dress maker to arrange for it to be returned and repaired, she got a one line answer. We both looked at the response, I read it one way, she read it another and that's where the trouble started.

"This is not a problem for me to fix"

So how do you read it ? I might tell you the outcome later.............

Dreamy Jul 20th 2017 12:15 am

Re: It's all in the wording........

Originally Posted by spuddyo (Post 12298188)
So a few weeks ago Mrs Spud bought a fairly expensive item of clothing from a dress maker, all made to measure and a bit fancy. Two weeks later some small threads in the embroidery started getting loose and falling off.

She sent an email to the dress maker to arrange for it to be returned and repaired, she got a one line answer. We both looked at the response, I read it one way, she read it another and that's where the trouble started.

As it was a one line answer, so no instructions on how to return the item, I'd read it as 'it's not my problem' rather than 'that's no problem'.

Either way, I'd email back asking for clarification.

spouse of scouse Jul 20th 2017 12:22 am

Originally Posted by spuddyo (Post 12298188)

It means she can fix it, no problem.

moneypenny20 Jul 20th 2017 12:46 am

+ 1 for Dreamy. :)

Pulaski Jul 20th 2017 1:12 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12298196)
It means she can fix it, no problem.

I lean in this direction. ^

Isn't the English language wonderful! :rolleyes:

ETA. Another thought: if she is a maker of expensive garments, and wants repeat and/or referral business then I am inclined to think that she would want to fix the problem. :unsure:

moneypenny20 Jul 20th 2017 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12298210)
I lean in this direction. ^

Isn't the English language wonderful! :rolleyes:

ETA. Another thought: if she is a maker of expensive garments, and wants repeat and/or referral business then I am inclined to think that she would want to fix the problem. :unsure:

Wouldn't she then give more detail as to how to sort it, not just a quick, fairly unprofessional one liner? Humans, rubbish but you can't live without them. :lol:

GarryP Jul 20th 2017 2:27 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12298215)
Wouldn't she then give more detail as to how to sort it, not just a quick, fairly unprofessional one liner? Humans, rubbish but you can't live without them. :lol:

Indeed, seems obvious that she thinks she can get away with saying "not my problem", if for no other reason than she didn't start with "sorry".

And given the overpopulation, we probably could do well to live without over half of them (eg go back to the population of ~1970). If you want a list ...

;)

Pulaski Jul 20th 2017 2:57 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12298215)

Maybe you would, but that doesn't mean she would.

moneypenny20 Jul 20th 2017 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12298234)
Maybe you would, but that doesn't mean she would.

There's her mistake right there. Should be more like me! :flirtyeyes:

ozzieeagle Jul 20th 2017 3:04 am

This boils down to glass half empty half full in a way I reckon.

I'll go with full.... The maker is going to fix it.

Amazulu Jul 20th 2017 3:09 am

+1 for SoS

She means it will be easy for her to fix

Pulaski Jul 20th 2017 3:10 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12298237)
There's her mistake right there. Should be more like me! ....

There is nobody quite like you! :lol:

Tr1boy Jul 24th 2017 6:23 am

I'm reading as though she will fix the problem.

Reminds of my very first week at work in Oz. It was in a warehouse and I was packing stuff, moving it, fork lifting etc. Boss says to me in the morning"

"I might get you to move those pallets and crates into the yard"

a few hours later he's giving me a rocket for not doing it. I explained that I was still waiting for him to make up his mind. He saw the funny side, thankfully.:lol:

Gordon Barlow Jul 24th 2017 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Tr1boy (Post 12301523)
Reminds of my very first week at work in Oz. It was in a warehouse and I was packing stuff, moving it, fork lifting etc. Boss says to me in the morning"

"I might get you to move those pallets and crates into the yard"

a few hours later he's giving me a rocket for not doing it. I explained that I was still waiting for him to make up his mind. He saw the funny side, thankfully.:lol:

In the same vein, so to speak... When my wife was released from the hospital recently, the doctor put a big plaster on my wife's side where the (big) needle had been in for several days during a hospital stay, her Indian doctor said "You could take the bandage off tomorrow." A week later, when we went back for a check-up, we learnt that the doctor meant "You must...", or "Please do...". "You should..." would have worked just as well, but "could" left just enough doubt to confuse us.

spuddyo Jul 24th 2017 9:48 pm

Well my missus took this as 'its not my problem to fix, its all your fault so **** off' which ended up in a barrage of messages backwards and forwards. In actual fact the dress maker was saying "it's not a problem at all, I can fix it."

It took a while to smooth the waters and the dress was eventually fixed, but that's one relationship soured for ever and there's no chance of repeat business. For me the upsetting part of all this was I found out how much 'the dress' actually cost. You wouldn't believe me if I told you, I couldn't believe it myself at first.