Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

It's all in the wording........

It's all in the wording........

Old Jul 19th 2017, 11:48 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's all in the wording........

So a few weeks ago Mrs Spud bought a fairly expensive item of clothing from a dress maker, all made to measure and a bit fancy. Two weeks later some small threads in the embroidery started getting loose and falling off.

She sent an email to the dress maker to arrange for it to be returned and repaired, she got a one line answer. We both looked at the response, I read it one way, she read it another and that's where the trouble started.

"This is not a problem for me to fix"

So how do you read it ? I might tell you the outcome later.............
Old Jul 20th 2017, 12:15 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's all in the wording........

Originally Posted by spuddyo
So a few weeks ago Mrs Spud bought a fairly expensive item of clothing from a dress maker, all made to measure and a bit fancy. Two weeks later some small threads in the embroidery started getting loose and falling off.

She sent an email to the dress maker to arrange for it to be returned and repaired, she got a one line answer. We both looked at the response, I read it one way, she read it another and that's where the trouble started.

As it was a one line answer, so no instructions on how to return the item, I'd read it as 'it's not my problem' rather than 'that's no problem'.

Either way, I'd email back asking for clarification.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 12:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spuddyo

It means she can fix it, no problem.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 12:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

+ 1 for Dreamy.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 1:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It means she can fix it, no problem.
I lean in this direction. ^

Isn't the English language wonderful!

ETA. Another thought: if she is a maker of expensive garments, and wants repeat and/or referral business then I am inclined to think that she would want to fix the problem.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 20th 2017 at 1:18 am.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 1:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I lean in this direction. ^

Isn't the English language wonderful!

ETA. Another thought: if she is a maker of expensive garments, and wants repeat and/or referral business then I am inclined to think that she would want to fix the problem.
Wouldn't she then give more detail as to how to sort it, not just a quick, fairly unprofessional one liner? Humans, rubbish but you can't live without them.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 2:27 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Wouldn't she then give more detail as to how to sort it, not just a quick, fairly unprofessional one liner? Humans, rubbish but you can't live without them.
Indeed, seems obvious that she thinks she can get away with saying "not my problem", if for no other reason than she didn't start with "sorry".

And given the overpopulation, we probably could do well to live without over half of them (eg go back to the population of ~1970). If you want a list ...

Old Jul 20th 2017, 2:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you would, but that doesn't mean she would.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 2:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Maybe you would, but that doesn't mean she would.
There's her mistake right there. Should be more like me!
Old Jul 20th 2017, 3:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

This boils down to glass half empty half full in a way I reckon.

I'll go with full.... The maker is going to fix it.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 3:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for SoS

She means it will be easy for her to fix
Old Jul 20th 2017, 3:10 am

There's her mistake right there. Should be more like me! ....
There is nobody quite like you!
Old Jul 24th 2017, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm reading as though she will fix the problem.

Reminds of my very first week at work in Oz. It was in a warehouse and I was packing stuff, moving it, fork lifting etc. Boss says to me in the morning"

"I might get you to move those pallets and crates into the yard"

a few hours later he's giving me a rocket for not doing it. I explained that I was still waiting for him to make up his mind. He saw the funny side, thankfully.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Reminds of my very first week at work in Oz. It was in a warehouse and I was packing stuff, moving it, fork lifting etc. Boss says to me in the morning"

"I might get you to move those pallets and crates into the yard"

a few hours later he's giving me a rocket for not doing it. I explained that I was still waiting for him to make up his mind. He saw the funny side, thankfully.
In the same vein, so to speak... When my wife was released from the hospital recently, the doctor put a big plaster on my wife's side where the (big) needle had been in for several days during a hospital stay, her Indian doctor said "You could take the bandage off tomorrow." A week later, when we went back for a check-up, we learnt that the doctor meant "You must...", or "Please do...". "You should..." would have worked just as well, but "could" left just enough doubt to confuse us.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 9:48 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Well my missus took this as 'its not my problem to fix, its all your fault so **** off' which ended up in a barrage of messages backwards and forwards. In actual fact the dress maker was saying "it's not a problem at all, I can fix it."

It took a while to smooth the waters and the dress was eventually fixed, but that's one relationship soured for ever and there's no chance of repeat business. For me the upsetting part of all this was I found out how much 'the dress' actually cost. You wouldn't believe me if I told you, I couldn't believe it myself at first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.