British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   iPhone 4S vs Samsung S3 ???? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/iphone-4s-vs-samsung-s3-762187/)

muditha Jun 19th 2012 10:41 am

iPhone 4S vs Samsung S3 ????

Hi,

I'm coming to end of my contract and thinking of buying either iphone 4s or samsung s3. What is the best phone ?

I'm a normal phone user. I use the phone for calling, checking emails, getting pictures(camera) and web browsing.

asprilla Jun 19th 2012 11:14 am

Re: iPhone 4S vs Samsung S3 ????

Originally Posted by muditha (Post 10127057)
Hi,

I'm coming to end of my contract and thinking of buying either iphone 4s or samsung s3. What is the best phone ?

I'm a normal phone user. I use the phone for calling, checking emails, getting pictures(camera) and web browsing.

The S3 is undoubtedly a better phone. To be fair, the iphone4S is only marginally better than the original samsung galaxy s, which was released over 2 years ago.. Apple have really dropped the ball in recent times.

GarryP Jun 19th 2012 11:43 am

New iphone can't be too far away, they are getting left in the dust and need to dramatically upgrade. I'd get the S3 personally.

furbacchione Jun 20th 2012 2:20 pm

If you like simplicity and a clearly defined and controlled environment the iphone is best. If you're a bit more tech savy and like the "freedom" of being able to tweak your gadgets then get an android based phone - i.e. the SIII. I've had both and wouldn't go back to an iphone after I got the galaxy note. YMMV

TiddlyPom Jun 20th 2012 11:46 pm

SIII. If only for the camera. :D

Hello Muditha. How are you all doing?

renth Jun 21st 2012 12:08 am

Out of the 2, the S3.

I recently bought Samsung Galaxy Nexus for about $400 from Kogan, I love it. It also shits all over iPhone 4s It's almost as good as the S3 but half the price.

BadgeIsBack Jun 21st 2012 11:16 am

I had both.

I found the S3 hard to get used to, the first few days - but then I had the easy-peasy IPhone.

I had an issue with the sensitivity of the keypad which no amount of configuration seemed to fix and there seemed a few glitches now and then.
I solved this by using swype which allows you to run your finger across the keys you want to form the word and it either guesses the word or you press auto-complete....great.

Once I got used to it - I much prefer it. There are lots of ways of doing the same thing. Gps turn by turn - although I find the GPS a bit dodgy occasionally.

You go back to an IPhone and it's like a Fisher Price toy by comparison.

Swerv-o Jun 21st 2012 11:24 pm

I would opt for the S3 - its a spectacular phone and for me a large screen makes the phone much more usable. I'm going to grab a Galaxy note myself, but in terms of the choices you have I would definitely choose the S3...

S

Amazulu Jun 22nd 2012 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 10132025)
I would opt for the S3 - its a spectacular phone and for me a large screen makes the phone much more usable. I'm going to grab a Galaxy note myself, but in terms of the choices you have I would definitely choose the S3...

S

I've had my Note for a few months now and think it's a great phone. Definitely glad I got it.

renth Jun 22nd 2012 12:14 am

The next iPhone 5 is going to have to be well speccy to top the latest Android phones.

moneypenny20 Jun 22nd 2012 12:33 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 10132101)
The next iPhone 5 is going to have to be well speccy to top the latest Android phones.

Rumour is they're changing all the connections so everyone will have to buy new accessories. (until someone comes out with an adaptor of course). I really like a keyboard but hate the blackberry types, my Nokia is dying and it pisses me off that if you want Android you near as dammit have to have touch only.

JoeBloggs80 Jun 22nd 2012 2:17 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 10132101)

Not really. All it will need is a few poncey ads, a couple of features that have been around for years but they can claim 'changes everything', and some news footage of the appleshop mongs cheering the stupid plebs who have queued for a week to buy it. It will continue to sell by the bucket load

renth Jun 22nd 2012 2:49 am

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80 (Post 10132231)
Not really. All it will need is a few poncey ads, a couple of features that have been around for years but they can claim 'changes everything', and some news footage of the appleshop mongs cheering the stupid plebs who have queued for a week to buy it. It will continue to sell by the bucket load

So true. When I first saw my wife's iPhone 4s I was so impressed with it but now I've got my Galaxy Nexus, which is my first smartphone I can't believe how lame the iPhone is.

Also I'm a huge iTunes hater, now I have Spotify on 3 devices I can't see why anyone would use iTunes anymore.

Amazulu Jun 22nd 2012 3:23 am

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80 (Post 10132231)

In Perth, whenever an Apple product is launched, isheeple queue around the block to buy it from the Apple store (some sleeping on the street overnight), but you can walk into Dick Smith around the corner and buy the same thing with no queuing. Bizarre.

I really do not understand the cult of Apple.

Amazulu Jun 22nd 2012 3:25 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 10132257)
So true. When I first saw my wife's iPhone 4s I was so impressed with it but now I've got my Galaxy Nexus, which is my first smartphone I can't believe how lame the iPhone is.

Also I'm a huge iTunes hater, now I have Spotify on 3 devices I can't see why anyone would use iTunes anymore.

The iphone is a fashion accessory.

Spotify is awesome. My phone is now loaded with downloaded Spotify playlists.

ozzieeagle Jun 22nd 2012 3:38 am

I got the Note also... First Mobile thats tempted me in years. I hate being disturbed by those "Would you get this, and can you pick up this" calls, Owning the Note is worth that... Tis a mini computer really with a fairly decent browsing screen. It was Spotify which was the catylyst for me making the jump as well. Anyone want a redundant very full 160 GB Ipod ;).

BTW on a Pennytel Sim plan... all you can use in Aus for 35 bucks per month plus 5 gigs of data.

I'm new to GPS systems as well and the Notes got two systems available .... Is it me or is the Google beta version better than Navigons ?

Beoz Jun 22nd 2012 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 10132281)
In Perth, whenever an Apple product is launched, isheeple queue around the block to buy it from the Apple store (some sleeping on the street overnight), but you can walk into Dick Smith around the corner and buy the same thing with no queuing. Bizarre.

I really do not understand the cult of Apple.

Me too .... it's quite bizarre. Since the death of SJ, Apple have gone very quiet.

Looking at some of the Window's tabs with all the power of a desktop, and all the apps that run on Windows, one has to wonder what Apple are going to do when Window's 8 comes out.

If they had any of the business tab market it's certainly not looking good.

Amazulu Jun 22nd 2012 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 10132331)
Me too .... it's quite bizarre. Since the death of SJ, Apple have gone very quiet.

Looking at some of the Window's tabs with all the power of a desktop, and all the apps that run on Windows, one has to wonder what Apple are going to do when Window's 8 comes out.

I think they are ahead in the tablet market, and maybe high-end laptops but that's it. Their computers are too expensive and Samsung and HTC are killing them in phones.

Apple treat their customers with contempt - a 'we know what you want, not you' attitude. Therefore you get locked into using itunes, no flash capabilty, no USB port on the ipad etc. But as they are probably the best marketed brand on the planet, they know that the isheeple will always come flocking back for more.

I've just bought a Kindle Fire - $250 delivered, with a leather case. It's a great little device - eReader and tablet, simple and usable. I'm going to hack it to make it more capable. Apple would never release a product like it, and if they did it would be twice the price and less capable.

JoeBloggs80 Jun 22nd 2012 5:12 am

The clever (some would say sneaky) thing Apple have done is that they now have a lot of people locked into their system. If you already have a mac, iphone, ipad then you can't really go out and buy a new samsung phone as getting everything to sync with it is a ballache, and it all works much better if you just keep everything apple. So the people that are in it, will stay in it.

I think there will be less people joining it in the coming years though, people are wising up a bit.

knockoff nige Jun 22nd 2012 5:30 am

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80 (Post 10132345)
The clever (some would say sneaky) thing Apple have done is that they now have a lot of people locked into their system. If you already have a mac, iphone, ipad then you can't really go out and buy a new samsung phone as getting everything to sync with it is a ballache, and it all works much better if you just keep everything apple. So the people that are in it, will stay in it.

I think there will be less people joining it in the coming years though, people are wising up a bit.

It's not just apple stuff though. If you have invested in some apps from the app store that you need, you'll either lose it or have to re buy it should you move to a different platform. That's the big reason why I'll be sticking with apple. That and it's just a phone. I need it for maps, mail, googling, mobile banking, flick football, tom Tom, currency conversion, iTunes and some other things. Other paid apps that I have are nice to have and I don't fancy buying them a second time.

knockoff nige Jun 22nd 2012 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 10132331)

Apple are leading the tablet marke because they offer a tablet that isn't trying to be anything else. There's probably a smaller market for tablets that have a full blown operating system but they will most likely sacrifice a large portion of battery life. The windows one, as much as I like it, might not cut it for many users because the aspect ratio is specifically designed for video playback. Not something that can be used for photo editing or other creative tasks.

Would be nice to have a USB port on the iPad andante that's in the future. But there is no doubt that Apple currently have the best tablet by a long way.

Beoz Jun 22nd 2012 9:13 am

Originally Posted by knockoff nige (Post 10132372)
It's not just apple stuff though. If you have invested in some apps from the app store that you need, you'll either lose it or have to re buy it should you move to a different platform. That's the big reason why I'll be sticking with apple. That and it's just a phone. I need it for maps, mail, googling, mobile banking, flick football, tom Tom, currency conversion, iTunes and some other things. Other paid apps that I have are nice to have and I don't fancy buying them a second time.

Well, what you save in apps you won't in accessories

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...rom=public_rss

Amazulu Jun 22nd 2012 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 10132553)

As I was saying earlier about their contempt for their customers.........

knockoff nige Jun 22nd 2012 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 10132557)
As I was saying earlier about their contempt for their customers.........

I don't think any other company has kept their charging/dock connector the same as long as apple has. They are changing it now to allow more space for more features in their devices. No pleasing some people.

moneypenny20 Jun 22nd 2012 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 10132553)

Post 11 ;)

IvanM Jun 22nd 2012 10:30 am

You have to be cleverer still.

I use gmail and set it up as though it was exchange rather than the gmail option. That way tasks, calendar and mail sync up whichever I use. I also have my own domain so moving email provider is not too difficult.

The main lock in is the apps.

Android has an increasing market share.

The downside for Android is that the manufacturers and telcos seem reluctant to provide OS updates. Techie types will root, mod and upgrade. Devs hate that.

I just like gadgets and my job is to fit the gadget to the user and design the management for thousands.

fish.01 Jun 22nd 2012 10:37 am

Isn't that the missing point though...if you just want a phone you compare phone specs. If you want a tablet, a home computer, a phone, music streaming all talking to each-other using the best overall set of devices etc you look at the various platforms. Totally different decisions and one where apple comes out far ahead in my opinion - those obsessed with getting the biggest phone display may disagree.

fish.01 Jun 22nd 2012 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 10132335)
I think they are ahead in the tablet market, and maybe high-end laptops but that's it. Their computers are too expensive and Samsung and HTC are killing them in phones.

As a windows software developer I have decades of exclusive windows pc use at work and home and imo apple imac's combined with the software, services and interconnected devices are far better home computers.

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 10132335)
Apple treat their customers with contempt - a 'we know what you want, not you' attitude. Therefore you get locked into using itunes, no flash capabilty, no USB port on the ipad etc. But as they are probably the best marketed brand on the planet, they know that the isheeple will always come flocking back for more.

That because they do ;) ...flash on a mobile device is a pita and should be killed. Not once have I wanted a USB port...it is old fashioned and happy to see it replaced with cloud delivery. Apple have a history of pushing the industry along looking to where things will be, not where they are. As a software developer I love the constant cutting edge ideas they have (see new retina macbook) and many other companies are just cut and paste factories in comparison.

Amazulu Jun 22nd 2012 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by knockoff nige (Post 10132566)
No pleasing some people.

Someone who has just splashed out on a $800 dock will be happy to know this.

Amazulu Jun 22nd 2012 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by fish.01 (Post 10132679)
That because they do ;) ...flash on a mobile device is a pita and should be killed. Not once have I wanted a USB port...it is old fashioned and happy to see it replaced with cloud delivery. Apple have a history of pushing the industry along looking to where things will be, not where they are. As a software developer I love the constant cutting edge ideas they have (see new retina macbook) and many other companies are just cut and paste factories in comparison.

Sorry, but I don't get the cult of Apple. Never have, never will.

soapy© Jun 22nd 2012 12:47 pm

apple for me. spent years with window until i was at a mates house. one shot of his mac and i was a changed man.
my son hates apple but i think its become a bit like the car think in australia
apple v android - ford holden
lotta shite if you ask me.
i have changed everything in the house to apple. not because i want into a cult. just because it all speaks to each other.
everything controlled from my phone!
i might not me moving with the times or up to speed with the latest zing!
but it all works fantastic.

pauline asked me to dig the old pc out of the shed because she cant use the mac for somethings she needs for work

after about 2 mins (2 photos on BE lol) i gave up
cant use the thing
its far too slow. how did i ever put up with it
its like going back to dial up lol

my lad keeps asking me things like
can your phone do this or can your phone do that? with a big fkn smirk on his face

no it cant, but i dont really want it to. i want it to do what i need it to do!

works fantastic for me!

would i say to you to buy an iphone
nah, it might not do what you need it to do
buy whatever you like :nod:

fish.01 Jun 22nd 2012 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 10132828)
Sorry, but I don't get the cult of Apple. Never have, never will.

Never mind, come to my house and you will walk out an iSheeple guaranteed :rofl:

Beoz Jun 23rd 2012 1:27 am

Originally Posted by soapy© (Post 10132895)
pauline asked me to dig the old pc out of the shed because she cant use the mac for somethings she needs for work

Think you hit the nail on the head there. The home work thing is certainly not a clear division in my world, therefore the only Apple gadget allowed in my house is Mrs Beoz's i-phone.

BadgeIsBack Jun 23rd 2012 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 10134129)
Think you hit the nail on the head there. The home work thing is certainly not a clear division in my world, therefore the only Apple gadget allowed in my house is Mrs Beoz's i-phone.

Have to be honest, there's a plus about the I family - where everything talks to each other. And I would seriously consider a mac as a casual family home computer.

Still not a massive fan of Apple.

soapy© Jun 23rd 2012 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 10134129)

i dont use the computer for work though, so i dont care :lol:

soapy© Jun 23rd 2012 4:00 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 10134177)
Have to be honest, there's a plus about the I family - where everything talks to each other. And I would seriously consider a mac as a casual family home computer.

Still not a massive fan of Apple.

i have an android tab (given to me by my daughter) cant stand the thing
the only plus is I use it as a remote for my mac. I can sit and watch the telly and use my mac at the same time
to be honest i dont watch the telly, I sit out the back and use it.
great app

4500 Times Jun 23rd 2012 4:06 am

All you lot going on about isheeple.....you forget that Apple set the benchmark and continue to do so.

So would'nt you say all the other manufacturers are following what Apple do ???
:thumbup:

soapy© Jun 23rd 2012 4:19 am

my son has just bought the 3s, sent it back after a few days because the camera didnt work.
my daughter has just called to say she has just bought one.
im delighted. I had the iphone, shes passing on the 4s to me tonight
:thumbsup:

soapy© Jun 23rd 2012 4:29 am

New Apple Product!!!!!!

Apple does it again!
Apple announced today that it has developed
a breast implant that can store and play music..
The iTit will cost from $499 to $699, depending
on cup and speaker size.. This is considered a
major social breakthrough because women are
always complaining about men staring at their
tits and not listening to them.

stole this from Biggy lol

xzibit Jun 23rd 2012 4:48 am

If you want a phone, get anything but the Samsung S3 or Note. Who wants to carry something that big around in their pocket?

You have to laugh at people slagging Apple and not understanding the Apple cult. Many of the Apple cult probably don't understand the cult of people that have to moan about Apple products for some reason.

If you don't like or can't afford Apple products, there's no need to go on the internet and make excuses about why other products are 'better' (when quite often not).

Apple products cost more. My 3 year old MacBook has never crashed or locked up. My Windows PC does it weekly. When you buy an Apple computer, you are paying for hardware and software that has been designed to work in harmony. When you buy a generic HP, Dell, Acer etc PC, they just shove on the latest version of Windows, that it designed to work as well as possible on a multitude of hardware platforms.
It's the same with the iPhone. Android is open, and you can tweak settings, but then you can also do things like delete the installed keyboard (which my girlfriend managed) and was then stuck not being able type anything.

I have an iPhone, but wouldn't discount a HTC phone running on Android, but I've yet to find a phone apart from the iPhone that seamlessly connects to my Macbook, TV, sound system and car without the need for wires. Well my car needs a lead, but it doesn't have Android connectivity, just iPod connectivity.

Try both phones and buy what suits you. Don't discount a phone because some people spend their lives trying to compensate for trying to justify making a wrong purchase.