Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Interstate car registrations

Interstate car registrations

Old Jun 1st 2013, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Interstate car registrations

I thought that if you move interstate you should get local licence plates and at most leave it three months. I have seen the same cars with interstate plates for well over a year now. When I moved interstate I changed over both our cars within weeks not wanting to fall foul of the law but I see this doesn't seem to get as much attention as fining drivers going 5km/h over the speed limit on Leach Highway.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interstate car registrations

Originally Posted by discobay
I thought that if you move interstate you should get local licence plates and at most leave it three months. I have seen the same cars with interstate plates for well over a year now. When I moved interstate I changed over both our cars within weeks not wanting to fall foul of the law but I see this doesn't seem to get as much attention as fining drivers going 5km/h over the speed limit on Leach Highway.
How do you know they have changed their resident state, rather than spending quite a bit of time in a different state? They may be maintaining their main home in a different state, and be working in the other state.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:58 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

My next door neighbours have lived here for over 2 years. This is their main residence, but they've still got Qld plates on all 3 of their cars. How do they keep the registration up to date? Or do they?
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

I think the rule is that if you spend three months interstate then you are obliged to change over the plates. Police don't know how long you've been here without stopping and questioning you and even then there is no proof. Licensing don't know that you exist and licensing where you came from are still sending reminders to your old and possibly ex-address.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 1:05 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I think the rule is that if you spend three months interstate then you are obliged to change over the plates. Police don't know how long you've been here without stopping and questioning you and even then there is no proof. Licensing don't know that you exist and licensing where you came from are still sending reminders to your old and possibly ex-address.
Well I know the neighbours mother lives in Qld, so maybe they use her address for rego and stuff. It just makes me wonder about insurance. Would insurance pay if the car has been in WA for 2 years but registered in Qld?
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Heaven forbid that they should have an accident as their third party insurance is invalid if they live in another state beyond the 3 month mark. The son of a friend got caught by that one big time - car registered in NSW because it was cheaper but when he had his accident he was living in ACT = very expensive trouble. If they don't need to claim on their TP insurance though they'll probably not get caught!
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 7:48 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Well I know the neighbours mother lives in Qld, so maybe they use her address for rego and stuff. It just makes me wonder about insurance. Would insurance pay if the car has been in WA for 2 years but registered in Qld?
Depends on how good you are at telling the story. I know a guy in the RAAF, who was posted to RAAF Williamstown from RAAF Amberley for over 2 years. He changed the rego and ownership details to his mothers place in Ipswich and his story for QMRT was that his address at Williamstown was not permanent.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 8:48 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Depends on how good you are at telling the story. I know a guy in the RAAF, who was posted to RAAF Williamstown from RAAF Amberley for over 2 years. He changed the rego and ownership details to his mothers place in Ipswich and his story for QMRT was that his address at Williamstown was not permanent.
I can see that if you're in the RAAF. These people though own the house and actually live there.

(I'm not their biggest fan, so they get caught out)
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

But who would you report them to?
Old Jun 10th 2013, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Having different state systems is a nonsense. I think that as long as you pay your rego somewhere in Australia you should be covered for insurance and it would introduce competition so states like queensland who rip motorist off either reduce their fees or lose revenue.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 10:44 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NedKelly
.... states like queensland who rip motorist off ....
If thats the case - why do motorists who move south to NSW all try and keep their QLD rego? I suspect its because although rego is cheaper in NSW the TP insurance is MUCH MUCH more thus making QLD the cheaper location overall.

That being said I know a few people living in QLD who have maintained their VIC rego - so presumably VIC < QLD < NSW.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 11:19 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
If thats the case - why do motorists who move south to NSW all try and keep their QLD rego? I suspect its because although rego is cheaper in NSW the TP insurance is MUCH MUCH more thus making QLD the cheaper location overall.
Nahhhhh it's because you don't need a motor vehicle check on a car to get your rego for Queensland but you do for NSW...
Old Jun 11th 2013, 12:14 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain

That being said I know a few people living in QLD who have maintained their VIC rego - so presumably VIC < QLD < NSW.

Registration and CTP costs in NSW are ridiculous. CTP increases by $70 each year - well it has done the last three years for my car - which is hardly a CPI increase. You can shop around if you like, but all of the insurance companies charge about the same price, within a couple of $$$.

It cost me just under $1000 to keep my car on the road this year - Assuming another $70 increase in CTP, then it will certainly be over $1k next year.

S
Old Jun 11th 2013, 12:42 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I just got mine through. I think it is about $710 total...of which $260 is Rego and $450 is CTP + stamp duty.