Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Internet question when travelling to Ireland

Internet question when travelling to Ireland

Old Jan 20th 2014, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of
Default Internet question when travelling to Ireland

I am going to Ireland in June to visit my parents. They have a telephone line but no internet. I will be spending a good bit of time with them and would like internet access. I know I could go to an internet cafe but I was wondering if there is something I can buy so I would have the internet in their house? I am happy to have it just to my mobile or to an ipad. Any thoughts? I know so little about all this.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:53 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet question when travelling to Ireland

Originally Posted by Brisbane bound
I am going to Ireland in June to visit my parents. They have a telephone line but no internet. I will be spending a good bit of time with them and would like internet access. I know I could go to an internet cafe but I was wondering if there is something I can buy so I would have the internet in their house? I am happy to have it just to my mobile or to an ipad. Any thoughts? I know so little about all this.
Just buy a dongle when you get there. You can get a pay as you go one from most mobile phone shops, and some supermarkets like Tesco's.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:37 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Or forget all about it by doing what you all do best in Ireland and get rat arsed the whole time.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:57 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, a dongle is the way to go.

A dongle in Dingle maybe?

You can see why I don't post much these days ...
Old Jan 21st 2014, 7:29 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Yup, a dongle is the way to go.

A dongle in Dingle maybe?

You can see why I don't post much these days ...
nor me
Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Check out who has the best coverage and then either get a dongle if you have a laptop, or get a PAYG sim for the iphone and/or ipad. I got an O2 sim for my ipad when I went home last, very easy to switch over then just put the Aussie one in when you come back. However, I would recommend getting the shop to insert it and set it up as they know all the bts to change to get it to work!!!
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

Thank you all.....I didn't realize it would be so easy!
Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:51 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I'd probably look at Three Ireland. They seem to have wide coverage, but they also have Three's international roaming ('like Home') and all you can eat data. Even a few spots of 4G.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 10:13 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all.....I didn't realize it would be so easy!
It's Ireland,NOT Queensland
Old Jan 24th 2014, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Pocket Wifi which is more convenient than a Dongle. I can hang it up in the window to receive a good signal, the Wifi part will then connect 100% to the laptop which can be well inside the house. The only disadvantage is that the Pocket Wifi has an LI battery which lasts about three hours, I usually plug it into a USB type power adaptor to keep it fully charged. I also carry it in a small cotton bag along with a few clothes-pegs, when in hotels I can hang it up on the curtains wherever the signal is strongest. My Wifi connects at 7.8 MBPS which I find adequate but if you want more there are now 4G versions available which I think run at about 24 MBPS but cost heaps more in connection fees. One caution though, most services on mainland UK block Skype and any other VOIP. One shop insisted they didn't block it, rather they didn't support it, I replied to the shop assistant that I'm an MCSE so we both know that you are lying (3G is supposed to support VOIP).

I ended up with Tesco but had difficulty registering the Pocket Wifi, it worked fine but I could not recharge the connection fee online, went back to Tesco and they sorted the registration for me; might have been because I was trying to use an Australian Debit Card. I've used the same SIM on several UK trips. For voice calls we had a card that the foreign exchange people had given us with AUD$10 credit which was enough for us.

Last edited by NigelWaring; Jan 24th 2014 at 6:33 am. Reason: to add a bit more info.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

If your iPad has 3G you can buy a card costing £20 for 3 months with the Three company.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

note if you get a pay as you go sim to put in your phone when in Ireland make sure your phone is unlocked before you go.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

Not going anywhere near Castletownbere in Co. Cork I suppose?