Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

An interesting slant on the 'booming' economy.

An interesting slant on the 'booming' economy.

Old May 19th 2012, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An interesting slant on the 'booming' economy.

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
THAT is bad news.....
No, it's one economist given their opinion on what could happen if something else happened before that.
Old May 19th 2012, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, so too is the UK

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/unit...lance-of-trade

But the data kindly provided by Chris shows that consumers are changing spending patterns in Australia, which will help the situation. Why isn't it happening in the UK?
This thread is about the economy in Australia - why do you always insist on changing such a thread to be negative about the UK? That's your 2nd post in this thread being negative on the UK with no reason to post other than to be negative about the UK.

And in any case you said the following:
A financialy sound country exports more value than it imports.....
So now you're saying Australia is not a financially sound country, but trying to deflect that by introducing your negativity about the UK.
Old May 19th 2012, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It's the local Chinese and SE Asians here in Aus that are doing most of this saving. Thats how they live. The more that arrive the more Australias saving coffers will be boosted. They also have a flow on effect to others around them and seem to be influencing how people in the big Cities use and relate to their money.

One major factor is the use of cash in their shops rather than credit cards.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 19th 2012 at 6:34 pm.
Old May 19th 2012, 6:38 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Its interesting that I get accused of making threads UK/Australia but the same rarely gets said when it happens from 'the other side'
This has absolutely nothing to do with the UK, we all know the issues facing this country (especially those of us actually here).

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
This thread is about the economy in Australia - why do you always insist on changing such a thread to be negative about the UK? That's your 2nd post in this thread being negative on the UK with no reason to post other than to be negative about the UK.

And in any case you said the following:So now you're saying Australia is not a financially sound country, but trying to deflect that by introducing your negativity about the UK.
Old May 19th 2012, 6:40 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes exactly.

No, it's one economist given their opinion on what could happen if something else happened before that.
Old May 19th 2012, 6:44 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

And in any case you said the following:So now you're saying Australia is not a financially sound country, but trying to deflect that by introducing your negativity about the UK.
1. I'm not stupid despite appearances, and Chris has a long history of posting negative articles about Australia. God knows why. He doesn't even live here any more does he? Even his title for this thread was antagonistic - "booming" economy! It sure as shit is booming more than the Uk which is just about in terminal decline.

2. The article he posted was irrelevant to almost everything. It was a survey on how people felt by BCG. Chris mistook it as some opportunity to bag Australia.

3. If we are going to be bothered looking at links, at least let's have some relevant ones - hence my posting of the telegraph link. Sorry if it shatters your beliefs, but there it is. Don't bag me about negativity about the UK, talk to the editor of the Telegraph, or even better to Robert Chote, the head of the Office of Budget Responsibility. Incidentally he isn't just another economist, he is the governments senior economist.

4. Any country with a negative balance of payments isn't in the best of health. The UK and Australia both suffer from the ailment. the only interesting thing that can be drawn out of Chris's article was that consumer confidence in Australia will help reduce the balance of payments deficit.

Last edited by slapphead_otool; May 19th 2012 at 7:00 pm.
Old May 19th 2012, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris955
http://www.smh.com.au/business/were-...515-1yp0a.html

It certainly explains why the retail sector especially is really struggling with people less and less inclined to spend. Im not sure how you encourage people to spend more money ? Dropping interest rates are hardly likely to have the average person flocking to the shops.
Why do you care? Isn't the UK is in a trillion pound hole? If I lived there, I'd be more worried about that, than how much the average Australian is spending in JB Hi-Fi.
Old May 19th 2012, 7:12 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Why do you care? Isn't the UK is in a trillion pound hole? If I lived there, I'd be more worried about that, than how much the average Australian is spending in JB Hi-Fi.
+101 I was hoping these ridiculous posts would end when he "moved" but they seem to have increased - presumably because the bad weather prevents him from leaving the bloody house.

The real irony is he isn't a bloody economist, despite his repeated posts on economic matters.

He is just an endless troll with some grudge against Australia. Maybe he got beaten up at school or some Australian humped his girlfirend.

Thank god our economy is booming, or he would be unstoppable.

I fully agree - the Uk is in such a mess, and is heading towards a disaster of epic proportions, that his time would be better spent selling his reptiles rather then posting on here about how bad Australia is.

I reserve the right to say "I told you so" endlessly when Europe goes tits up and drags the UK to the bottom of the cesspit.

Last edited by slapphead_otool; May 19th 2012 at 7:18 pm.
Old May 19th 2012, 7:12 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Its interesting that I get accused of making threads UK/Australia but the same rarely gets said when it happens from 'the other side'
This has absolutely nothing to do with the UK, we all know the issues facing this country (especially those of us actually here).
Why are you bothering with forum anymore now that you have returned to the UK.Just move on and enjoy your life in England.I might not be far behind you if the Mr's gets her way.
Old May 19th 2012, 7:26 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
$1.5 trillion*? it will take beyond King William's reign to plug that gaping hole, if ever.

*excluding the bank bailouts
Old May 19th 2012, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

1. I'm not stupid despite appearances, and Chris has a long history of posting negative articles about Australia. God knows why. He doesn't even live here any more does he? Even his title for this thread was antagonistic - "booming" economy! It sure as shit is booming more than the Uk which is just about in terminal decline.
You have a long history of posting negative articles and opinions about the UK, EU and the US economies and you don't live in any of those countries. You post antagonistic titles too. Look in the mirror...
2. The article he posted was irrelevant to almost everything. It was a survey on how people felt by BCG. Chris mistook it as some opportunity to bag Australia.
The first post of this thread was:
http://www.smh.com.au/business/were-...515-1yp0a.html

It certainly explains why the retail sector especially is really struggling with people less and less inclined to spend. Im not sure how you encourage people to spend more money ? Dropping interest rates are hardly likely to have the average person flocking to the shops.
That doesn't sound like "bagging Australia" to me. The collapsing high street retail in Australia is a concern to both the companies and the people employed by them.
3. If we are going to be bothered looking at links, at least let's have some relevant ones - hence my posting of the telegraph link. Sorry if it shatters your beliefs, but there it is. Don't bag me about negativity about the UK, talk to the editor of the Telegraph, or even better to Robert Chote, the head of the Office of Budget Responsibility. Incidentally he isn't just another economist, he is the governments senior economist.
The Telegraph article is an opinion of an economist - yes a senior economist for the government, but nonetheless another economist. His position doesn't make what he forecasts automatically correct, you only have to look at changes in forecasts, and also results compared to forecasts by the OBR to realise that. It's an opinion and nothing more, which states a possible (but not definite) outcome based on a possible (but not definite) event happening before that.
4. Any country with a negative balance of payments isn't in the best of health. The UK and Australia both suffer from the ailment. the only interesting thing that can be drawn out of Chris's article was that consumer confidence in Australia will help reduce the balance of payments deficit.
On one hand you say Australia is not financially sound, yet on the other you say the Australian economy is booming (eg Post 23). Which is it? You've said both in this thread. One area of the economy in Australia is booming, but there are signs of a slowing China right now upon which this booming part of the economy is based. In other areas the economy is suffering badly - even the Premier of WA has pointed this out recently. It was reported recently that a couple of states were in recession, and Victoria is close to it.
Old May 19th 2012, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

I reserve the right to say "I told you so" endlessly when Europe goes tits up and drags the UK to the bottom of the cesspit.
I'm sure your relatives and friends in the UK will appreciate you saying that to them, if it comes to what you say.
Old May 19th 2012, 8:02 pm
Not allowed opinions.

You have a long history of posting negative articles and opinions about the UK, EU and the US economies and you don't live in any of those countries. You post antagonistic titles too. Look in the mirror...

The first post of this thread was:That doesn't sound like "bagging Australia" to me. The collapsing high street retail in Australia is a concern to both the companies and the people employed by them.

The Telegraph article is an opinion of an economist - yes a senior economist for the government, but nonetheless another economist. His position doesn't make what he forecasts automatically correct, you only have to look at changes in forecasts, and also results compared to forecasts by the OBR to realise that. It's an opinion and nothing more, which states a possible (but not definite) outcome based on a possible (but not definite) event happening before that.

On one hand you say Australia is not financially sound, yet on the other you say the Australian economy is booming (eg Post 23). Which is it? You've said both in this thread. One area of the economy in Australia is booming, but there are signs of a slowing China right now upon which this booming part of the economy is based. In other areas the economy is suffering badly - even the Premier of WA has pointed this out recently. It was reported recently that a couple of states were in recession, and Victoria is close to it.
1. I only post about the UK to counter the ridiculous trolls made by a very small number of people who had some axe to grind about Australia.

2. Even the title of the thread was a troll - referring to "booming" economy, and was clearly a troll -as highlighted by Chris's use of inverted commas for the word "booming" to indicate that he didn't think it was booming. Chris was trying to find something to attack Australia with, and it was all he found find. It wasn't even a good link - just a survey by BCG relating to consumer confidence. Nothing to do with facts.

3. Not A senior economist but THE senior economist for the government of the UK, one charged with advising the government on its budget. He may be wrong, or he may be right, but I would listen to what he says and give it more credence than trolls on BE.

4. No economy with a negative balance of payments is in a good position. However you can have a boom and still have a negative BOP.
Old May 19th 2012, 8:03 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Well this is all very pointless isn't it. Thread closed.