Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Installing a new Pool

Installing a new Pool

Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:53 pm
pools finished..Boat next

MenAtWork is a jewel in the roughMenAtWork is a jewel in the roughMenAtWork is a jewel in the roughMenAtWork is a jewel in the roughMenAtWork is a jewel in the rough
Default Installing a new Pool

Hi guys,

I'm having a new pool installed in and thought that the process might interest anyone thinking of doing the same.

I'm going to load up a couple of photos of the first couple of days and if theres any interest i'll keep it going.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Installing a new Pool-before.jpg   Installing a new Pool-marking-out.jpg   Installing a new Pool-end-first-day-dig.jpg  
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Installing a new Pool

how much is it costing???
Old Jul 9th 2007, 8:22 pm

MenAtWork is a jewel in the roughMenAtWork is a jewel in the roughMenAtWork is a jewel in the roughMenAtWork is a jewel in the roughMenAtWork is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
how much is it costing???
The average quote seems to be about $1000 per Linear Metre for a concrete pool. so a 10 x 4 Metre pool would be approx (10 +4 + 10 + 4) * $1000 or $28000 + GST

There is extra on top for any landscaping, heating, electrical connections, possible plumbing if any drains need relocating.

Access may make a difference to the price as the bigger the digger they can get in the quicker it is to dig the pool.

Steve
Old Jul 9th 2007, 10:11 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Palmwoods? That's Sunshine Coast right so I'm guessing you're allowed to fill with town water?

If it was Brisbane you'd have to factor another few $k to bring water in in a tanker to fill the pool.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MenAtWork
The average quote seems to be about $1000 per Linear Metre for a concrete pool. so a 10 x 4 Metre pool would be approx (10 +4 + 10 + 4) * $1000 or $28000 + GST

There is extra on top for any landscaping, heating, electrical connections, possible plumbing if any drains need relocating.

Access may make a difference to the price as the bigger the digger they can get in the quicker it is to dig the pool.

Steve
Iam now at the stage where the concrete is done and waiting to cure.Priced at 24000 for 22 lm but by the time i have paid for pipes to be moved landscaping etc probably be nearer 28000. You have to remember that all you get is the pool and everything else is extras
Old Jul 10th 2007, 6:15 am

End Of Day 2

The hole is finished and they've started boarding out for the concrete

We had a very minor plumbing incident which was fixed in about 5 minutes.

The bloke with the digger had some ballet dancing to do when he got right to the end as he was under the eaves and had the house on one side and the fence on the other.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Installing a new Pool-end-second-day.jpg  
Old Jul 11th 2007, 5:47 am

Day 3

All of the Steel is in place ready for the concrete to be sprayed tomorrow.

The pipework for the Solar and Pump are ready too although most of that is out of shot.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Installing a new Pool-steel-place.jpg  
Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

smiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to all

Hi menatwork

Keep posting the pics as we're thinking of having a pool put in so it'll be interesting to see how you're getting on
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:09 pm

The Pool was sprayed with concrete yesterday and it's starting to look like a pool instead of a big hole.

I was pretty impressed with the guys working on it there was string lines and levels everywhere to ensure perfectly straight lines.

The surface is deliberately left with a rough texture to allow the final pool surface plenty to key onto.

it'll be a few days before much else happens the boards will come off some time next week. The top of the pool will be tiled in 2 weeks. I think the Landscape chap will be here next week getting a few things done.

I'll post anything interesting that crops up in the meantime.
Attached Thumbnails Installing a new Pool-concrete-place.jpg   Installing a new Pool-pool-steps.jpg  
Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

maw

really enjoying your picks did not realise so much work went in to building a pool

yes i know dumb woman
Old Jul 13th 2007, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting project. Expensive though.

Does adding a pool pay for itself by adding value to the property?
Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by quercus

I think it will certainly add value but maybe not the whole amount.

I'll try and find out when it's finished.

It's certainly a LOT cheaper to buy a bit inland, get a decent sized block and pay for a pool installing than it is to live within a couple of minutes of the beach. (We are about 15 min inland)
Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
maw

really enjoying your picks did not realise so much work went in to building a pool

yes i know dumb woman
Neither did I, a lot of work has gone into tying it into the existing house - things are measured out to the milimeter so that everything lines up from the patio to the pool. You'll see what I mean when we get further down the project. I'm not sure you get that from a lot of Pool installers.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 11:42 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quercus

I think in the past the answer to that would certainly be yes.......I have a pool and it was certainly a selling point for me when I viewed the house on a 35C+ day in February!

These days though, with ever increasing water restrictions (in Brisbane anyway) I sometimes think the pool will be a liability if I come to sell the house - level 6 water restrictions are just around the corner and I have no idea what that will hold for us.

Its not entirely fair.....i think there is a perception that pool owners are extreme water users but I haven't put town water in my pool for well over a year....and its full to the brim. My downpipe diverter does a good job of keeping it topped up even with the meagre rains we get these days. Our recent rates notice showed we were using just 160 litres a day for a 2 person house...well below that level 5 target of 280.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bcworld
I think in the past the answer to that would certainly be yes.......I have a pool and it was certainly a selling point for me when I viewed the house on a 35C+ day in February!

These days though, with ever increasing water restrictions (in Brisbane anyway) I sometimes think the pool will be a liability if I come to sell the house - level 6 water restrictions are just around the corner and I have no idea what that will hold for us.

Its not entirely fair.....i think there is a perception that pool owners are extreme water users but I haven't put town water in my pool for well over a year....and its full to the brim. My downpipe diverter does a good job of keeping it topped up even with the meagre rains we get these days. Our recent rates notice showed we were using just 160 litres a day for a 2 person house...well below that level 5 target of 280.
Good to know how little water you need to keep it topped. Is it high maintenance with chemicals etc?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.