Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Indonesia - hints & tips pls!

Indonesia - hints & tips pls!

Old Nov 24th 2009, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indonesia - hints & tips pls!

Originally Posted by PamE
We are using same lonely planet - se asia on a shoestring - altho it's 2008 edition, not 1978 - but still yellow! I am not keen on it, there are signs that it's not been properly updated based on last trip in 2005 book used, also sooooo often the accom is nothing like what LP describes, to point we have given up & use Tripadvisor.com instead. LP can't help that things change fast of course, but with internet resources & wifi I just don't know how things will pan out for LP in coming years. Anyways my next trip, will be taking a Rough Guide instead for reasons also in previous post on this thread about drug comments and so on - each to their own of course but I find LP just a tad cringeworthy in it's efforts to be cool! Showing my age I guess Maps are handy tho & basic general info on city areas is good too.

Landing in Brisbane in 10 days then heading for Coffs Harbour on 28th. Am almost beside self with excitement at this point! Also quite reflective - where have last 7 months gone, all this lovely freedom is nearly over - but at same time ready for action (mostly concerning getting some new clean clothes asap for re-entrance into world of washing machines etc - have been showering & washing clothes in saltwater for a week now and starting to feel a but icky!).

Yeah 3 weeks in Vietnam, was my least favourite, people quite aggressive, that is, those involved in tourism or selling anything, unfriendly, really hard sell, have to haggle everything even water, which can get quite tiring...But yeah, that is regarding people in tourism - of course there are lovely and not so lovely folks everywhere and we were fortunate that our view was balanced by being able to hook up we have a friend in HCMC who has a Vietnamese gfriend, who is lovely and also we met a really nice V couple when we went to Cat Ba island, did a trip with them on Halong Bay, which they suggested and organised, and translated and shared so much info, was v lucky for us to have met them. Everyone says the same about Vietnam tho it seems, about the people, is a shame - have you been, how did you find it?
Believe it is your final night in Asia? So make the most of it. Can recall was also excited after a very long stint in Asia to be coming to Oz just for a change.
Good luck in Australia ,you will soon feel things pretty much back to normal i guess. Do say how you find it and impressions etc.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:34 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Believe it is your final night in Asia? So make the most of it. Can recall was also excited after a very long stint in Asia to be coming to Oz just for a change.
Good luck in Australia ,you will soon feel things pretty much back to normal i guess. Do say how you find it and impressions etc.
Aw thanks for wishes that's so nice of you Yes it is our final night, we are about to go out to dinner in Ubud with a couple we met in Burma last May who are living here atm. We are so excited about finally emigrating to Australia yet at same time a little sad that it's all over here...massive test of a new (18 months) marriage all this, 7 months living out of a backpack in countries like these, but looks like we've done good (altho naturally with a few major blowouts but we can now laugh about them now!) and it's been such a special time. Anyways best not to think too much - it's been a blast and we're well up for the next step. Starting work on Monday, that should snap us back into reality
Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:36 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

All the best, Pam, and enjoy Ubud.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:43 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Seasider
All the best, Pam, and enjoy Ubud.
Thanks Seasider