To immunise or not?

Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:19 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To immunise or not?

Originally Posted by crocodileseamus
No parent is wrong and no parent is right for wanting the best for their children. Everyone believes there argument and have to be respected and not termed 'daft'.

I am not 'daft', it is my right as a parent.

None of my children received vitamin K injection at birth, it is automatically given at birth, but there is a big question mark that it might increase the risk of childhood leukaemia, so none of my children got it.

Why?

Because my sister had childhood leukaemia. Vitamin K isn't even in breast milk, so it isn't nature's way. A paediatrician actually had me in tears after my last child was born and told me I was neglecting him.

He had to come and apologise to me.

My daughter received her first 3 injections after birth and at 5 months was diagnosed with a dislocated hip. It was at this point when she went into plaster etc that Lucy switched off and stopped making eye contact, smiling etc. My husband and I reckon this is the point that tripped her autism.

If here is any doubt at all when you already have a child with special needs there is no way you are going to take a risk with a vaccine.

I know the risks of measles, my daughters will get the single rubella vaccine when they are 12, as I had, to protect unborn children.

Fortunately, all four children and husband got chicken pox last year without too much hassle, have to say husband suffered the most.

Walk in my shoes, feel my pain and then call me 'daft',

Lynne

Hi,

When you look at what evidence is available for autism it is more to do with the developmental milestones coinsiding with the timing of vaccinations. Unfortunately there is no definative cause of autism so speculation will remain. I'm a bit of a believer in the whole pregnancy/birth thing associated with systemic candida and the whole traumatic birth thing. I am also aware that the immune system at that age is fragile but from my research the complications witnessed as a result of the disease is far greater.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:22 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

'Believed' or even a 'slight doubt', they still wouldn't get it because of what my sister went through. Leukaemia does run in our family OK.

I ain't an airhead. It is called having an opinion.
I get what you're saying. I was just pointing out that as a general rule I prefer to listen to things that are based on facts rather than beliefs. My comment had nothing to do with anyone in the ost except for these two words: "widely believed". You have the right to make your own decisions, I even understand them in that particular instance.

And, I hate to bring it up but ......saying "I ain't an airhead" may not be the best way to get your point across.

Last edited by comet555; Jan 30th 2008 at 12:44 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Trekrider will become famous soon enoughTrekrider will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by markallwood
But of course, you might not buy any of that...some people believe that its all a big conspiracy, and that the drug companies have forced the govt's hand in this, and that they are covering up all sorts of evil-doings. These big bad drugs companies are just interested in the money, and they don't care about peoples heath !!!
Oh how naive of me to think the big drug companies are more interested in humanitarianism than profits for the shareholders.

How does this explain the flu vaccination widely administered here at the end of last year - after the round of vaccinations were over the inventor of the vaccine proclaimed that it didn't work and that we should use a particular drug to combat the flu. Talk about having your cake and eating it too. You pay for the vaccine and then when it doesn't work you pay for the flu treatment!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:30 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, you can do the quotes by clicking on the button at the bottom right of the person's post....then delete out the bits you don't want quoted...

The vitamin K debate was the the BMJ several years ago,it was widely believed that there was a definate link between giving babies at birth vitamin K and developing childhood leukaemia.
And subsequently, it was shown that this was nothing more than a belief, and was in fact - wrong.

You don't agree with me, so what!!!!! I don't agree with you.

Respect, it is called an opinion.
I do have complete respect for your opinions, Lynne. Also, I respect that its up to you at the end of the day; you have to do what you think is best.

Having said that - please do not encourage others to "vote against" immunisation, merely because of what your sister has been through. Just let other people decide for themselves, based on facts.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Trekrider will become famous soon enoughTrekrider will become famous soon enough

Just let other people decide for themselves, based on facts.
I totally agree with you here - we should all be allowed to do our research and form as best an opinion as we can. I am sure we can all find studies both for and against vaccination, so I don't agree that it has been proven one way or the other - I doubt that it ever will. As it is our children's health and well being we are talking about, and we all want what we feel is best for our children, it will always be an emmotive topic.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:44 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trekrider
Oh how naive of me to think the big drug companies are more interested in humanitarianism than profits for the shareholders.

How does this explain the flu vaccination widely administered here at the end of last year - after the round of vaccinations were over the inventor of the vaccine proclaimed that it didn't work and that we should use a particular drug to combat the flu. Talk about having your cake and eating it too. You pay for the vaccine and then when it doesn't work you pay for the flu treatment!
Well, its obvious isn't it?

The big drug companies faked the moon landings at the request of opus dei. What the people didn't see, was that this was just smoke & mirrors. Several ships landed on earth that night, and the big drugs companies were given the chemical formula for Paracetamol. In exchange, the little grey men demanded that the drugs companies start producing drugs to alleviate illnesses that didn't exist, all in the name of increased revenue. The idea being, of course, that enough money would eventually be accumulated to enable opus dei to build a spaceship to join the grey men.

But don't tell anyone !
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Touche.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:45 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Well, its obvious isn't it?

The big drug companies faked the moon landings at the request of opus dei. What the people didn't see, was that this was just smoke & mirrors. Several ships landed on earth that night, and the big drugs companies were given the chemical formula for Paracetamol. In exchange, the little grey men demanded that the drugs companies start producing drugs to alleviate illnesses that didn't exist, all in the name of increased revenue. The idea being, of course, that enough money would eventually be accumulated to enable opus dei to build a spaceship to join the grey men.

But don't tell anyone !
LOL
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:47 pm
Account Open

I totally agree with you here - we should all be allowed to do our research and form as best an opinion as we can. I am sure we can all find studies both for and against vaccination, so I don't agree that it has been proven one way or the other - I doubt that it ever will. As it is our children's health and well being we are talking about, and we all want what we feel is best for our children, it will always be an emmotive topic.
I agree, we all want what is best for our children. I do think though, that we should leave the research in the hands of scientists, and let doctors interpret the research.

And one other thing - the benefits of immunisation have been proven for many, many years now. But I do not think that any amount of evidence will persuade you of this.

best wishes,
Mark
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

And one other thing - the benefits of immunisation have been proven for many, many years now. But I do not think that any amount of evidence will persuade you of this.

best wishes,
Mark
Just like the potential harmful side effects and lack of efficacy have been proven for many, many years now. But I do not think that any amount of evidence will persuade you of this either.

I am quite happy to accept that you believe in vaccination, that is your right and I wouldn't even try to persuade you otherwise. This debate continues on and on because no one can prove conclusively either way. We each have to decide which side of the body of evidence we choose to go.

Best wishes,
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:18 pm
Account Open

Just like the potential harmful side effects and lack of efficacy have been proven for many, many years now. But I do not think that any amount of evidence will persuade you of this either.
Well, you'll be surprised to know that I am already aware that immunisations can have bad side effects, and on occasion these can be serious and sometimes even fatal. I recognise this.

However - I am also aware that immunisations have saved the lives of millions. This is something that it seems you do not recognise, yet it is crucial that you accept it, because this is the key to why 99% of people believe there is NO debate. When you weigh up the costs and benefits, having your kids vaccinated is simply safer than not having them vaccinated.

I am quite happy to accept that you believe in vaccination, that is your right and I wouldn't even try to persuade you otherwise. This debate continues on and on because no one can prove conclusively either way. We each have to decide which side of the body of evidence we choose to go.

Best wishes,
Belief does not come into the debate at all....this debate is only concerned with facts. The facts do not allow us to decide whichever body of evidence we want to go with! And this is the reason why I am really trying my hardest to persuade you otherwise.
cheers

On an interesting sidenote, what are your views on jehovah's witnesses and their refusal to accept blood transfusions? They believe that the bible forbids blood transfusions, though there is no scientific evidence that God exists, or indeed, that he wrote the bible....and if he did, that he even meant the passages in the bible to be interpreted in that way...

?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough

I have a real hang up about vaccinations.

I am a reasonably educated mother of 4 children, the eldest having autism. I haven't given any of my children the MMR, but got the 3 eldest kids the single measles vaccine, which of course I had to pay £60 each child.

My eldest child was born in 2000 and since my youngest was born in late 2006 there were four more injections added to the list. Why?

I survived OK without MMR, OK had rubella at 13 which carried me through all pregnancies,and all 4 kids have had chickenpox.

We don't live in the 3rd world, we don't need these mercury filled substances, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd injections at 8, 12 and 16 weeks is OK by me, I don't honestly think I will get my baby a single measles vaccine, because apparently now 'they' are mixed with mercury.

Lynne
Lynne, you obviously have reservations about vaccination, so I would encourage you to do more research. There is plenty of information out there from very reliable, referenced sources - not women's magazines or media-induced hysteria.

Just to point out, there never has been any mercury in the MMR - as it is a live vaccine, thimerosal never made it in there iin the first place.

Having said that though, I wonder how many people who are expressing such strong *pro* vaccination views on this thread have the slightest idea exactly what does go into a vaccine....

If you're after some good, concise, referenced literature on the subject, I would highly recommend a publication from the Australian Vaccination Network (www.avn.org.au) entitled "Investigate Before You Vaccinate". It's only a small book, costs around $5 and is full of very useful information that, in my opinion, after 11 years of reading about and researching vaccines, every parent should know before taking the irreversible step of vaccinating their children.

BWs,

r8p
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Well, you'll be surprised to know that I am already aware that immunisations can have bad side effects, and on occasion these can be serious and sometimes even fatal. I recognise this.
Glad to hear this although personally I don't want to play this russian roulette with my child (or pets).

However - I am also aware that immunisations have saved the lives of millions. This is something that it seems you do not recognise, yet it is crucial that you accept it, because this is the key to why 99% of people believe there is NO debate.
Where does 99% come from? The uptake rate of vaccination does not stack up with this figure - clearly there is debate!

When you weigh up the costs and benefits, having your kids vaccinated is simply safer than not having them vaccinated.
Sorry, we will have to agree to differ on this one - I am very comfortable with my decision, as clearly you are with yours.

Belief does not come into the debate at all....this debate is only concerned with facts. The facts do not allow us to decide whichever body of evidence we want to go with! And this is the reason why I am really trying my hardest to persuade you otherwise.
But belief does come into it - you choose to believe a certain part of the medical establishment, I choose to believe a different part of the medical establishment. If Doctors (and vets) can't agree amongst themselves what hope is there for us?

On an interesting sidenote, what are your views on jehovah's witnesses and their refusal to accept blood transfusions? They believe that the bible forbids blood transfusions, though there is no scientific evidence that God exists, or indeed, that he wrote the bible....and if he did, that he even meant the passages in the bible to be interpreted in that way...

?
As an atheist I'm not sure I am qualified to comment on this and it is a different issue altogether. There are scientific studies both supporting and questioning the efficacy of vaccination - not something you can apply to the existence (or otherwise) of god.

Regards,
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough

For anyone feeling open-minded on the topic, this is a very good video.

http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=13924

May take a while to buffer though...
Old Jan 30th 2008, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

As an atheist I'm not sure I am qualified to comment on this and it is a different issue altogether. There are scientific studies both supporting and questioning the efficacy of vaccination - not something you can apply to the existence (or otherwise) of god.
Sorry, I have just realised I have misrepresented myself here - I'm an agnostic not an atheist

Don't forget that Australians agree with the Jehovah's witnesses on this one where us Poms are concerned - they won't take our blood either

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.