Imac 21 or 27 inch

Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of
Default Imac 21 or 27 inch

Hey all

Just wondering if any of you guys have either of the newish Imacs. Thinking about getting one and would like to know which one you have 21 or 27 inch?

If any of you have the 27 inch have you had any problems with the yellow screen. Its seems now there is a three week delay on ordering these from apple but you can get the 21 inch in 24 hours.

Any advice would be great as it will be my first apple pc.

Thanks in advance

Paddy
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Imac 21 or 27 inch

We have, well rather hubby has a 21" Imac which he's had just over 2 years. He would love to upgrade it for a larger one but I've put my foot down as I really don't see why he needs a bigger screen. As far as the Imac goes we can't fault it, brilliant bit of kit! I've got a Macbook & love it. Certainly wouldn't go back to pc's.

Sorry can't help with the yellow screen thing though.

Alison x
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:35 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fairwayskid
Hey all

Just wondering if any of you guys have either of the newish Imacs. Thinking about getting one and would like to know which one you have 21 or 27 inch?

If any of you have the 27 inch have you had any problems with the yellow screen. Its seems now there is a three week delay on ordering these from apple but you can get the 21 inch in 24 hours.

Any advice would be great as it will be my first apple pc.

Thanks in advance

Paddy
The yellow screen thing is reported to be an issue with both size of iMac. Not all of them, but it is common.

Apple have now officially accepted there is a problem and apparently they're working to fix it.
They've said that they'll replace screens if there are issues.

If you do get an issue, register immediatly with Applecare and they will contact you with info on what to do.

As for size, it depends on what you want the huge screen for...
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
The yellow screen thing is reported to be an issue with both size of iMac. Not all of them, but it is common.

Apple have now officially accepted there is a problem and apparently they're working to fix it.
They've said that they'll replace screens if there are issues.

If you do get an issue, register immediatly with Applecare and they will contact you with info on what to do.

As for size, it depends on what you want the huge screen for...
Thanks Tiddly

You know us boys and bigger is better

Paddy
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:04 am

Thanks Tiddly

You know us boys and bigger is better

Paddy
Well, bigger is more expensive.

Why spend it if you don't need to?

Have fun.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Well, bigger is more expensive.

Why spend it if you don't need to?

Have fun.
Thats True!!

Paddy
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:06 am

Thats True!!

Paddy
I know that you think size matters but actually it doesn't...

It's how you use what you've got that's important.

Hope you get something good without yellow screen issues!
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:14 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go the 21" 3.06 with the decent graphics card in rather than the base model one. I have the older 24" model which is a nice screen size but it is big and I think I would have to start turning my head with the 27" when moving stuff across the screen.

A saving of $600 is $600. And remember get APPLECARE. Its worth it. Some resellers (not major stores) will drop the price a little for you and treat it as an educational sale. But get Apple Care and not some third party extended warranty malarky. The best thing about Apple is that if something does happen they sort it very very quickly for you.

I'm sure you and your new Mac will be very happy together. I would never go back to PCs.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Centurion
I'd go the 21" 3.06 with the decent graphics card in rather than the base model one. I have the older 24" model which is a nice screen size but it is big and I think I would have to start turning my head with the 27" when moving stuff across the screen.

A saving of $600 is $600. And remember get APPLECARE. Its worth it. Some resellers (not major stores) will drop the price a little for you and treat it as an educational sale. But get Apple Care and not some third party extended warranty malarky. The best thing about Apple is that if something does happen they sort it very very quickly for you.

I'm sure you and your new Mac will be very happy together. I would never go back to PCs.
Thanks Centurion.

Myer are doing a deal that if you get the applecare you get microsoft office free. Yeah think I will go for the 21 inch as I think the 27 inch will take over the room and also means I will have an extra $600 for beer

Paddy
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:42 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Neither... get a Mac mini and a big regular monitor. Same thing, less price, more options is something goes wrong.

Al
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Neither... get a Mac mini and a big regular monitor. Same thing, less price, more options is something goes wrong.

Al
Not going to save much money if any.

Paddy
Old Jan 30th 2010, 1:36 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Not going to save much money if any.

Paddy
it might, if I bought one for my better half, because she has a newish 22" LCD that we can still use - I'd only lay out for the mac mini plus keyboard and mouse. The cost comes back in with the software though. On the subject - I'd go for the 27" model, because of the need to keep at least two applications open - now I have to flip the spaces thingy, and 27" could accommodate both windows side by side. It would certainly help my workflow.

Last edited by newjersey; Jan 30th 2010 at 1:38 pm.