I'm Off

Old Apr 15th 2006, 3:25 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm Off

Yep, off around Oz in a camper van

We've wanted to do this for a while but haven't seemed to have the time or the means. But we're due our $100k bond back soon so there's the means - and it also buys us the time

We'll be heading off in August / Sept, heading anti-clockwise from Brisbane and hoping to avoid too much wet weather at the top end next summer. We've got our route pretty much planned out, though there's still room for extra stops for anything interesting. We expect to take about 8 months on the trip, then we're off to the UK for a wedding in July before heading back here and starting again (again).

So if anyone has any good ideas of places to visit that we might not have listed already, all suggestions are welcome.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 3:51 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm Off

Originally Posted by wmoore
Yep, off around Oz in a camper van

We've wanted to do this for a while but haven't seemed to have the time or the means. But we're due our $100k bond back soon so there's the means - and it also buys us the time

We'll be heading off in August / Sept, heading anti-clockwise from Brisbane and hoping to avoid too much wet weather at the top end next summer. We've got our route pretty much planned out, though there's still room for extra stops for anything interesting. We expect to take about 8 months on the trip, then we're off to the UK for a wedding in July before heading back here and starting again (again).

So if anyone has any good ideas of places to visit that we might not have listed already, all suggestions are welcome.
Enjoy - but make sure you take a copy of Wolf Creek for those lonesome nights in the dark dark bush
Old Apr 15th 2006, 4:25 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I've heard Wakefield int bad went weather's good

Oh...you mean in Aus? .......well......Ulleru [sp?]...Alice Springs, Cooperpedy [Opal mines], Great Ocean Road, various parks and all the main cities plus everything inbetween sounds good

It's a splendid idea........ and I'm as envious as hell

[good onya m8 ]

Don't forget to dress like Croc Dundee and take a gun and croc trap
Old Apr 15th 2006, 5:20 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Don't forget to dress like Croc Dundee and take a gun and croc trap
Crocodile Dundee's local is on the route so we might bump into him Unless he's in Wakefield anyway ......
Old Apr 15th 2006, 5:21 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by spalen
Enjoy - but make sure you take a copy of Wolf Creek for those lonesome nights in the dark dark bush
I think I might pass on that one if it's all the same
Old Apr 15th 2006, 5:29 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of ours did Aus trip recently using greyhound buses and she had one of their maps which showed you different routes and places to stay which may be of interest,She went North to Cairns then South-West thru Ulluru and down to Melbourne along the Great ocean road,Sydney then back to Brissie...might be worth trying to get hold of one of those..
Old Apr 15th 2006, 5:42 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
A friend of ours did Aus trip recently using greyhound buses and she had one of their maps which showed you different routes and places to stay which may be of interest,She went North to Cairns then South-West thru Ulluru and down to Melbourne along the Great ocean road,Sydney then back to Brissie...might be worth trying to get hold of one of those..
Yeah we raided QBD the other day for maps and guide books, plus we had some already. I'm going to look at detailed state maps but I think the ones we have already show all the detail.

Our route (abridged ) is:
QLD: Brisbane -> Longreach -> Rockhampton -> Daintree -> Burketown -> Mt Isa -> Alice Springs (& Uluru)
NT: Alice Springs -> Darwin (& Kakadu) -> Broome
WA: Broome -> Perth -> Kalgoorlie -> Adelaide
SA: Adelaide -> Coober Pedy (NT) -> Broken Hill (NSW) -> Mildura
VIC: Mildura -> Bendigo -> Mt Gambier (SA) -> Melbourne -> Wagga Wagga
NSW: Wagga -> Canberra (ACT) -> Wollongong -> Sydney -> Dubbo -> Newcastle -> Port Mcquarie -> Tamworth -> Coffs Harbour then back home up the east coast from there.

Like I said, this is abridged, there are lots of detours and stop-offs but you get the idea.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 5:47 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah we raided QBD the other day for maps and guide books, plus we had some already. I'm going to look at detailed state maps but I think the ones we have already show all the detail.

Our route (abridged ) is:
QLD: Brisbane -> Longreach -> Rockhampton -> Daintree -> Burketown -> Mt Isa -> Alice Springs (& Uluru)
NT: Alice Springs -> Darwin (& Kakadu) -> Broome
WA: Broome -> Perth -> Kalgoorlie -> Adelaide
SA: Adelaide -> Coober Pedy (NT) -> Broken Hill (NSW) -> Mildura
VIC: Mildura -> Bendigo -> Mt Gambier (SA) -> Melbourne -> Wagga Wagga
NSW: Wagga -> Canberra (ACT) -> Wollongong -> Sydney -> Dubbo -> Newcastle -> Port Mcquarie -> Tamworth -> Coffs Harbour then back home up the east coast from there.

Like I said, this is abridged, there are lots of detours and stop-offs but you get the idea.

Jeez....thats a bloody long drive, how many K's involved
Old Apr 15th 2006, 6:06 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
Jeez....thats a bloody long drive, how many K's involved
27,643km at current estimate

Subject to change though - as I'm researching I'm finding some of the roads may not be passable at the time of year. One in particular looks like throwing us a 750km detour
Old Apr 15th 2006, 6:19 am
What's happening dudes?

That figure includes 800km of a TAS round-trip which may get pulled from the final itenerary because of the cost of the ferry - about $1000 for a return for camper and 2 passengers.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 6:20 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Subject to change though - as I'm researching I'm finding some of the roads may not be passable at the time of year. One in particular looks like throwing us a 750km detour
And a piss up at my place!!

Hey Wayne what kind of motor you using?
Old Apr 15th 2006, 6:29 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by walla

Hey Wayne what kind of motor you using?
Still looking but I'd like a Landcruiser with a proper coach-built top. They look pretty pricey though so I might have to settle for something lesser. Seen a few decent looking Toyota Coasters. They look like a small bus but they're big enough for lots of home comforts

If we don't get a fourby, we'll have to change routes again that's all.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 6:30 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by walla
I'm going to schedule a week of recovery in the itinerary.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 6:49 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Still looking but I'd like a Landcruiser with a proper coach-built top. They look pretty pricey though so I might have to settle for something lesser. Seen a few decent looking Toyota Coasters. They look like a small bus but they're big enough for lots of home comforts

If we don't get a fourby, we'll have to change routes again that's all.
I've seen a few decent Troop Carriers fitted out...

Defo need 4WD.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:33 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Can't think of any places but just wanted to wish you guys the very best of luck and have an emense trip.......Once in a life time eh!

Cheers

Ginny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.