Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

If you think the choice is Aus supermarkets is pants (and expensive) now ........

Wikiposts

If you think the choice is Aus supermarkets is pants (and expensive) now ........

Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you think the choice is Aus supermarkets is pants (and expensive) now ........

To add to others list of things they cant get here.

Bananas that taste like bananas
Strawberries that taste like the ones i had in the UK hospital...(geez they were the nicest i ever had!)
Cumberland sausage (they ever heard of it here)
Haddock
Large eggs (stop laughing Nu Shooz!!)

Gawd the panadeine forte is kicking in now. My mind gone blank.... i shall be back![/QUOTE]

must admit i have no problems finding great fruit.

don't really eat sausages, they're full of ground up animal carcass where ever in the world you buy them

try finding a baramundi in Tesco

no egg issues either to be honest!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you think the choice is Aus supermarkets is pants (and expensive) now ........

Originally Posted by kporte
try finding a baramundi in Tesco
Not difficult.

Farmed barramundi is quite readily available in the UK.

Most of the Australian barramundi outside of NT and Northern QLD is farmed as well.

G
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:52 pm

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

Having read over the more recent posts, what I am noticing is that most of the things people are listing fall into a couple of catagories...

A) Ready made meals eg Curries, Decent pizza's(in a supermarket? Isnt that what pizza shops are for?)

or

B) Typically English food eg Cumberland sausages, pork sausages, pork pies, twiglets etc

or

C) Decent tasting fruit?

Ok, the way I see it is with (A) Make it yourself, thats what most Aussies do. (B) Well, what can I say, you aint in the UK anymore. We have beef sausages so of course thats what you will find the majority of over here. (C) Things ALWAYS taste better in season. Its only just the start of Strawberry season. When in season, its also far cheaper. Just look at the price of lettuce(cant help but grin) and how it goes up and down between winter and summer.

When I lived in the UK, things went up and down as far as price and quality as well, why should it be any different here?

Dunno, just seems like common sense to me....
Old Oct 14th 2008, 5:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels Bells
Having read over the more recent posts, what I am noticing is that most of the things people are listing fall into a couple of catagories...

A) Ready made meals eg Curries, Decent pizza's(in a supermarket? Isnt that what pizza shops are for?)

or

B) Typically English food eg Cumberland sausages, pork sausages, pork pies, twiglets etc

or

C) Decent tasting fruit?

Ok, the way I see it is with (A) Make it yourself, thats what most Aussies do. (B) Well, what can I say, you aint in the UK anymore. We have beef sausages so of course thats what you will find the majority of over here. (C) Things ALWAYS taste better in season. Its only just the start of Strawberry season. When in season, its also far cheaper. Just look at the price of lettuce(cant help but grin) and how it goes up and down between winter and summer.

When I lived in the UK, things went up and down as far as price and quality as well, why should it be any different here?

Dunno, just seems like common sense to me....
May be common sense, but its also fun to debate it now and then

Apparently cucumbers have now taken over from lettuce as the expensive food item....wonder if they go up and down too........
Old Oct 14th 2008, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
May be common sense, but its also fun to debate it now and then

Apparently cucumbers have now taken over from lettuce as the expensive food item....wonder if they go up and down too........
Too right! only posted this morning and we're on 5 pages already!

What I don't understand is why, if everyone in Aus is making wonderful home cooked food with fresh meat, fruit and veg thanks to the absence of "those awful unhealthy ready meals", the levels of obesity are on par with (or higher depending on which survey you read) UK?!!!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 5:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rabsody
Too right! only posted this morning and we're on 5 pages already!

What I don't understand is why, if everyone in Aus is making wonderful home cooked food with fresh meat, fruit and veg thanks to the absence of "those awful unhealthy ready meals", the levels of obesity are on par with (or higher depending on which survey you read) UK?!!!
the problem is I do make healthy fresh meals every night but wash it down with gallons of wine!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 5:44 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

the problem is I do make healthy fresh meals every night but wash it down with gallons of wine!
Yikes......don't start us on the cost of alcohol
Old Oct 14th 2008, 5:58 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Especially considering the nightly trips to the beach and range of outdoor activities one is involved in on a daily basis.

Hmmmm......
Old Oct 14th 2008, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Grayling
Yikes......don't start us on the cost of alcohol
bought a bottle of whisky in dmurphs cheaper than i could living 30 miles from where they make it
Old Oct 14th 2008, 6:02 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

bought a bottle of whisky in dmurphs cheaper than i could living 30 miles from where they make it
pmsl

Now you are trying too hard
Old Oct 14th 2008, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
Especially considering the nightly trips to the beach and range of outdoor activities one is involved in on a daily basis.

Hmmmm......
You shouldn't go to the beach at night that's when the sharks come out feed!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
pmsl

Now you are trying too hard
by stating a fact?
Old Oct 14th 2008, 6:07 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

by stating a fact?
Old Oct 14th 2008, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
You shouldn't go to the beach at night that's when the sharks come out feed!
Think BC might have been playing on the fact that the "Smart State" gets dark at about 6pm!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 6:14 pm
Bitter and twisted

Bit like Australian wine then?

You have to go to the UK to buy it cheap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.