Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

If not the Daily Mail, then which online UK paper?

If not the Daily Mail, then which online UK paper?

Old Mar 29th 2008, 11:21 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If not the Daily Mail, then which online UK paper?

the telegraph or the evening standard
Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:17 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunbather
The Daily Mail is constantly slagged off on here, so which online newspaper do you use to give you a fair and informative view of what is going on back in the old country?

I would be a little suspicious of the anti Daily Mail posts - they are probably from second rate journos who did'nt even make it to an interview in a job application for the Mail or bitter ex paper boy/girls who fell of their bike when delivering the paper!
Just to annoy the anti Mail clique more I can tell you that the Mail is the only UK daily paper that is printed in daily in Australia and on sale every day in newsagents (one of which we own on the Gold Coast). Also available in weekly format are The Guardian, The Times, The Telegraph, The Express along with all the other weekly news titles (New Scientist, Spectator, etc)
Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carbery
I would be a little suspicious of the anti Daily Mail posts - they are probably from second rate journos who did'nt even make it to an interview in a job application for the Mail

It is a crock of sh!t though isn't it?

I'm with Vanessa - The Times (most readable website) and Guardian - sometimes have a look at the Independent as well.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:52 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
It is a crock of sh!t though isn't it?

Its not my paper of choice, but being in the news trade for 20 years I have a grudging respect for it in its expanding circulation in a shirking market - it knows what its readership wants and delivers. Whether you agree with its politics or not it has proved to be a winner unlike other titles which are in terminal decline (Independent, Mirror, Express)
Old Mar 30th 2008, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Its not my paper of choice, but being in the news trade for 20 years I have a grudging respect for it in its expanding circulation in a shirking market - it knows what its readership wants and delivers. Whether you agree with its politics or not it has proved to be a winner unlike other titles which are in terminal decline (Independent, Mirror, Express)
I think that it's necessary to divorce marketing and business success from editorial and journalistic success. Just because it plays on the insecurities of Middle England doesn't mean that it's a good paper - otherwise the Sun and those US tabloids would be deemed 'good' and by the same token McDonalds has good food.

This leads to an interesting wider debate about the definition of a "newspaper"", an "editor" and a "journalist". And hence whether you can actually compare the likes of The Times with The Sun. Isn't it a bit like comparing a Big Mac with organic vegetable soup?
Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:18 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

By the same values heroin is a winner on profitability and increased circulation but I ain't going to start injecting or pretend it's providing any useful service to mankind.

Face it, the so-called 'reporting' of the Daily Mail is a cancer.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies everyone. Even those who can't understand why I would want to stay aware of what is going on in the Northern Hemisphere. I can't understand why you WOULDN'T want to know what is affecting those you left behind
Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:41 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: If not the Daily Mail, then which online UK paper?

Times, Independent, Guardian. Though I've been less impressed with the Guardian of late, and now prefer the Independent.

The Daily Mail is not a newspaper; it is toilet paper.

Of course I use the Beeb as well, but the Beeb is not a newspaper.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Mar 30th 2008 at 7:24 am.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:46 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: If not the Daily Mail, then which online UK paper?

it knows what its readership wants and delivers.
This is a sign of a commercially successful newspaper. It is not necessarily the sign of a good quality newspaper, nor is it necessarily a sign of a newspaper that benefits from accurate, objective analysis and unbiased reporting.

The Sun knows what its readership wants and delivers, but surely no-one in their right mind would argue that this fact alone recommends it as a newspaper.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:00 am
Decreased member

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I think that it's necessary to divorce marketing and business success from editorial and journalistic success. Just because it plays on the insecurities of Middle England doesn't mean that it's a good paper - otherwise the Sun and those US tabloids would be deemed 'good' and by the same token McDonalds has good food.

This leads to an interesting wider debate about the definition of a "newspaper"", an "editor" and a "journalist". And hence whether you can actually compare the likes of The Times with The Sun. Isn't it a bit like comparing a Big Mac with organic vegetable soup?
It would be nice to be judged on journalistic success only but any product be it tin of beans or newspaper has to have a sound financial base (circulation, advertising revenue) to justify its existance. The comparisson you draw with McDonalds is interesting as both businesses have had to reinvent themselves over the past few years - newspapers now deal with 24 hour news channels, internet, mobile information by changing from 'news' paper to information and back up stories with opinion rather than presentation of the facts. McDonalds have faced the 'unhealthy' tag by reinventing itself in McCafe and salad seller. Both businesses have had to change to survive.

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
By the same values heroin is a winner on profitability and increased circulation but I ain't going to start injecting or pretend it's providing any useful service to mankind.

Face it, the so-called 'reporting' of the Daily Mail is a cancer.

Mr Vim - I have read many of your posts to know that you are very sharp and clever with your replies, I have a respect for you and know that a clever retort is not far away but............... the last time I checked heroin was not legal and the Daily Mail as I stated before write what a lot of people want to hear and is not breaking any laws. Also if you had ever seen a person close to you die of cancer you would not compare it with an article in a newspaper.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:16 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Mr Vim - I have read many of your posts to know that you are very sharp and clever with your replies, I have a respect for you and know that a clever retort is not far away but............... the last time I checked heroin was not legal and the Daily Mail as I stated before write what a lot of people want to hear and is not breaking any laws. Also if you had ever seen a person close to you die of cancer you would not compare it with an article in a newspaper.
Nice to know I have a reader ... and thanks for pointing out the bloody obvious.

The Daily Mail is helping perpetuate most of what is perceived to be wrong in society, it is, as previously mentioned, toilet paper ... and it's readers should be sterilised.

Clean up the gene pool and move forward ...

Last edited by Vim Fuego; Mar 30th 2008 at 8:30 am.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I read the Times and the Sunday Times online, also the BBC news daily online. I have friends and family there, and I'm British, every reason to read the news there. I also have an interest in world affairs. Australia may be an island, but its affected by events in the rest of the world. Annoys me when Aussies ask me why I read the news about other parts of the world, a lot of those that I know aren't interested in the world outside Australia.
I also read the Daily Mail when I go home, just to see the other perspective. I treat it like the Sun, read it, see it for what it is, and put it all in context. Half the trick of being a newspaper addict is to be able to assess what viewpooint the paper is writing from, and be able to then make your own judegments based on that.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:28 am
Fighting my corner

Arrow Re: If not the Daily Mail, then which online UK paper?

the Daily Mail as I stated before write what a lot of people want to hear and is not breaking any laws.
The same was true of Mein Kampf.

I have to question the mentality of anyone who reads a newspaper because it tells them what they want to hear. I'd rather be told the truth, for better or worse.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I read the Times and the Sunday Times online, also the BBC news daily online. I have friends and family there, and I'm British, every reason to read the news there. I also have an interest in world affairs. Australia may be an island, but its affected by events in the rest of the world. Annoys me when Aussies ask me why I read the news about other parts of the world, a lot of those that I know aren't interested in the world outside Australia.
My sentiments exactly
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Times online and BBC. Also watch ABC news. Gives me what I want or need to know. I'm only interested in the general news though. Have no interest in reading about the political side of life in the UK. If something happens, someone in the UK will tell me.

When I lived in the UK, I didn't spend much time reading up on Asia Pacific news unless something big happened. I feel the same in reverse now. I certainly don't want the gossipy tabloid trash that the Mail always used to come out with so wouldn't dream of reading it here. My mother keeps sending me the link for the Daily Telegraph WHY? I don't want it :curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.