Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

If I had a choice of earning £100k a year or £30k a year doing the same job

If I had a choice of earning £100k a year or £30k a year doing the same job

Old Feb 21st 2008, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

burtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant future
Thumbs up If I had a choice of earning £100k a year or £30k a year doing the same job

I would take £30k a year. In my mind money is a sure way to corrupt people. Material objects have made the whole world crooked. Blood diamonds, animal poaching, murder. All in the name of money. If your answer is £100k, that's greediness. You don't need £100k so why have it? £30k you're not starving and you can live a very comfortable life. I don't think there's any bad people, just influencial people who have been corrupted by strong negative influences. Nobody is born a murderer, they've just submitted to the trials and tribulations of life.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 11:45 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If I had a choice of earning £100k a year or £30k a year doing the same job

go for the 100,every time..
Old Feb 21st 2008, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

burtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant future
Default Re: If I had a choice of earning £100k a year or £30k a year doing the same job

Originally Posted by aston man
go for the 100,every time..
I'm a man of simple pleasures.
Attached Thumbnails If I had a choice of earning £100k a year or £30k a year doing the same job-gameboy_originale.jpg  
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:03 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to let it corrupt you. Go for the 100k and see what you can do to help others with the excess.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You don't have to let it corrupt you. Go for the 100k and see what you can do to help others with the excess.
I think the power that money has can give you the illusion that you can't be corrupted. Perhaps killing people for a large sum of money is one extreme, but surely the desire for so much is a corruption in and of itself?
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:45 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

And I think there isnt a company around that wouldnt like to employ you.(especially when they can get you for a knock down rate)
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by seang
And I think there isnt a company around that wouldnt like to employ you.(especially when they can get you for a knock down rate)
Considering my standard of work they'll still be out of pocket. I'm great at interviews but suck at actually working.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:12 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by burtreynoldsisonit
I would take £30k a year. In my mind money is a sure way to corrupt people. Material objects have made the whole world crooked. Blood diamonds, animal poaching, murder. All in the name of money. If your answer is £100k, that's greediness. You don't need £100k so why have it? £30k you're not starving and you can live a very comfortable life. I don't think there's any bad people, just influencial people who have been corrupted by strong negative influences. Nobody is born a murderer, they've just submitted to the trials and tribulations of life.
Depends entirely on the person. Personally I would go with 100k
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
Depends entirely on the person. Personally I would go with 100k
But doesn't that class you as being immoderately desirous of acquiring wealth? You don't need the extra, but you want it. I understand where people come from and it makes sense to go for greater reward for the same effort, but is that really how we live? Where it makes sense to desire the luxury where we have money that we don't need? I think this a dangerous way to live that will make us lose touch with reality and start taking people for granted. Have you ever been living your normal life with all its normal problems and then you hear bad news about a family member or friend and it shocks you so much it puts everything into perspective? I think that's the illusionary effect money has on us. We become so involved in the material, that when we get hit into reality, you realise just how grossly materialistic and selfish our lifestyles have become. Perhaps it's just me, but I think money is a drug and everyone is addicted to it in some way. I'm guilty just as much as anyone but hopefully, I can maintain a firmer grip on what matters by trying to be less superficial in my day-to-day.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

I'd go for the 30k as I think it would make me a better person, besides, I got a stitload in the bank and so don't givashit.

Mike.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

for the last 8 years I have stepped out of the rat race. I have had crap paid but enjoyable touristy type jobs, took months off at a time to travel the world/ renovate a cottage etc etc. In the mean time friends of mine have had high powered jobs - directors/senior managers etc etc, yet they appear to have no better life than mine. We all have similarly priced houses, all own cars, go on foreign holidays etc. The only difference I can see is that they can eat out every week, wear designer gear, flash car etc. appart from that what's the difference. Have they spent 3 months touting OZ/NZ/ South Pacific etc (twice). I think not. Have they taken the time to walk their dogs on a frosty morning and just enjoyed their life - I think not. Have they had enough of their to$$er bosses and simply walked out to do something else instead - I think not.

I'm not having a go - each to their own, but I know what lifestyle I'd prefer!!!!!! Live your life and work smart, not hard!

Probably be slated for being a lazy git, but I have worked very hard - just known when to stop and have a breather ( I've done the corporate/proffesional thing before and not recieved the fullfilment I expected!

Any comments good or bad??????????
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Olias
for the last 8 years I have stepped out of the rat race. I have had crap paid but enjoyable touristy type jobs, took months off at a time to travel the world/ renovate a cottage etc etc. In the mean time friends of mine have had high powered jobs - directors/senior managers etc etc, yet they appear to have no better life than mine. We all have similarly priced houses, all own cars, go on foreign holidays etc. The only difference I can see is that they can eat out every week, wear designer gear, flash car etc. appart from that what's the difference. Have they spent 3 months touting OZ/NZ/ South Pacific etc (twice). I think not. Have they taken the time to walk their dogs on a frosty morning and just enjoyed their life - I think not. Have they had enough of their to$$er bosses and simply walked out to do something else instead - I think not.

I'm not having a go - each to their own, but I know what lifestyle I'd prefer!!!!!! Live your life and work smart, not hard!

Probably be slated for being a lazy git, but I have worked very hard - just known when to stop and have a breather ( I've done the corporate/proffesional thing before and not recieved the fullfilment I expected!

Any comments good or bad??????????
I'm with you. The clothes I'm wearing are only mine until I die. The thoughts I have and the feelings I feel are always mine. Considering all the people that have ever existed, not a single one was the same. Money leads to a lot of violence. It doesn't make you love somebody. It's not your parent, brother, sister, wife or child. Yet families fall out and break up over money. That, to me, is corruption. Money doesn't have to harm you in the literal sense to kill you. If we live by the gun, we die by the bullet. Money and happiness aren't proportional.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you. The clothes I'm wearing are only mine until I die. The thoughts I have and the feelings I feel are always mine. Considering all the people that have ever existed, not a single one was the same. Money leads to a lot of violence. It doesn't make you love somebody. It's not your parent, brother, sister, wife or child. Yet families fall out and break up over money. That, to me, is corruption. Money doesn't have to harm you in the literal sense to kill you. If we live by the gun, we die by the bullet. Money and happiness aren't proportional.

Nope, money and happiness aren't proportional, agreed. However, no matter what anyone says money does help you acquire things that can help some happiness into your life, like paying for emigration etc.....

Personally, I'd take the £100k if we're talking about it being for carrying out exactly the same job as £30k. You can retire earlier to be able to spend the rest of your life doing things you do enjoy, set up your children so they have a better start in life, provide them with a higher quality education, ensure they don't have to spend every spare hour at uni working so they can focus on the degree rather than just surviving......
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

just to add a caveat to my last post. To my mind money - gained from employmet or any other source has only one purpose, to enable you to do what interests you in life - be that stamp collecting/ hang gliding or bloody taxidermy - your life is your own to enjoy and hopefully at some stage do,some good - anything else is anally retentive bollocks!!!!!!!!!! 0 god , I am becoming too deep in my old age???????????????
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

I'm with you. The clothes I'm wearing are only mine until I die. The thoughts I have and the feelings I feel are always mine.
I think you'll find that your thoughts and feelings are also only yours until you die.

Mike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.