Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I need some free spyware removal software

I need some free spyware removal software

Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:31 am
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need some free spyware removal software

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Thanks Ivan. That's helpful.

I've got a shedload of work to do this am, but will start having a good look later on this afternoon at what it is I'm working on.

I may be back with more questions...

Ivan has imparted some very wise words. I have to agree with him.

I think your only realistic choice is a rebuild. If your I.T dept has an S.O.E image to put on your machine, I'd put the request in for it now. I'm guessing that it's only a small office though and the rest of the machines in there are similarly infected. The moment yours is clean again is the moment the rest of the machines in your workgroup or domain infect it again.

Good luck
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:49 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
Tiddly, install Spywareblaster while you're at it.
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

It's a free utility that stops spyware from gaining entry to your pc.
Download updates about once per week.

I use the old faithful Ad-Aware for removal but since installing Spywareblaster the amount it finds is neglibible.
Originally Posted by worzel
Oi! I said that!
I use Ad-Aware but will give that a whiz as well.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:54 am

So if you keep doing your own check for updates instead of auto I assume it remain free???
Oi! I said that!
Originally Posted by Bix
Tiddly, install Spywareblaster while you're at it.
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

It's a free utility that stops spyware from gaining entry to your pc.
Download updates about once per week.

I use the old faithful Ad-Aware for removal but since installing Spywareblaster the amount it finds is neglibible.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:57 am

So who prefers these to Ad-Aware???

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
http://www.comodo.com/products/free_products.html

Comodo Anti-Malware
FREE lifetime license

The Best to stop and remove *rootkits* in real time. Stop spambots, hijackers & keyloggers. Stop identity thieves from getting personal information. Instantly detects well over 1,000,000 unique, variant and repack malware in total.
Originally Posted by Hutch
Currently the best anti-spyware program (as recommended by the better security forums) is Super AntiSpyware - http://www.superantispyware.com/.
Is this one free Hutch???
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:06 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
So if you keep doing your own check for updates instead of auto I assume it remain free???
Yep. It updates about once a week so I tend to have an hour on a Saturday or Sunday morning when I do some PC housekeeping / check my bank statements etc.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:13 am

Yep. It updates about once a week so I tend to have an hour on a Saturday or Sunday morning when I do some PC housekeeping / check my bank statements etc.
But if you click auto you have to pay for them to do it as it says buy. I'll stick to the self update in that case.

Cheers
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:33 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fenton Beasley

I think your only realistic choice is a rebuild. If your I.T dept has an S.O.E image to put on your machine, I'd put the request in for it now. I'm guessing that it's only a small office though and the rest of the machines in there are similarly infected. The moment yours is clean again is the moment the rest of the machines in your workgroup or domain infect it again.

Good luck

Fenton, honey... You wouldn't believe this place even if you saw it.
It's a tiny office, with old computers. I warned the boss the computer I'm on will probably die in the near future because it appears to have boot issues and I can't see how that can be fixed.
He said, 'don't worry... you'll get used to it'...
No concept of how having a computer that won't start and crashes constantly will affect productivity.
There is no IT dept. I'm the most computer literate person here.

I will go and put spyware removal software on the other machines and try to activate the virus programme, but other than that, there's not a whole lot I can do, or want to do.
If these machines die, I'll get it in the neck. Don't want to go there.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:04 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a tiny office, with old computers. I warned the boss the computer I'm on will probably die in the near future because it appears to have boot issues and I can't see how that can be fixed.
No concept of how having a computer that won't start and crashes constantly will affect productivity.

I will go and put spyware removal software on the other machines and try to activate the virus programme, but other than that, there's not a whole lot I can do, or want to do.
The fact that your AV seems to have been disabled (if it was there originally)is a good sign the malware has had a significant impact. The only reason I would keep the machine is for malware analysis but I am a bit strange and like that kind of thing.

What I would do is get a program called Ghost. Get a spare machine if you have one and run up a clean build and only install the software you need in the office. Configure what you can on the image and patch it (run windows updates, java updates, quick time updates, acrobat updates etc. Defrag and shutdown. Use Ghost to take an image of the machine. You can then reapply that image quickly to a broken machine. Document all you did you create the build so you know what to do if the image needs a major update.

The other good thing about Ghost is that if the image works on one machine and not another identical machine then you know the non working machine probably has a hardware issue.

There are alternatives to Ghost but Ghost is the most commonly used.

With an image in place you can fix a whole host of issues quickly by re-imaging.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:11 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fenton Beasley

Good luck
Now I need to follow my advice and backup my home PC. Shocking how many of us pros don't!

BTW some of my background is AV monitoring, installation, design and SOE design for sites up to 5,000 seats.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by IvanM
The fact that your AV seems to have been disabled (if it was there originally)is a good sign the malware has had a significant impact. The only reason I would keep the machine is for malware analysis but I am a bit strange and like that kind of thing.

What I would do is get a program called Ghost. Get a spare machine if you have one and run up a clean build and only install the software you need in the office. Configure what you can on the image and patch it (run windows updates, java updates, quick time updates, acrobat updates etc. Defrag and shutdown. Use Ghost to take an image of the machine. You can then reapply that image quickly to a broken machine. Document all you did you create the build so you know what to do if the image needs a major update.

The other good thing about Ghost is that if the image works on one machine and not another identical machine then you know the non working machine probably has a hardware issue.

With an image in place you can fix a whole host of issues quickly by re-imaging.
Thanks Ivan... If I can get access to a spare machine, I'll do that.

They don't even have the discs to XP any more... I'm concentrating on getting the AV up and running today. It means long hours on the phone with the support people because they no longer have their license key for the software...

Happy Christmas...
Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:05 pm

Now you know what to ask for for Xmas.

Originally Posted by IvanM

Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by annqldau
Now you know what to ask for for Xmas.

I'll add it to the list...

champagne, diamonds .... XP discs, AV...

Things are running much better today.
Cleaned off a load of crap, organised files, deleted crap, new AV running, using Firefox ... all running faster. Actually starting up first time and no crashes so far today.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:00 pm

I'll add it to the list...

champagne, diamonds .... XP discs, AV...

Things are running much better today.
Cleaned off a load of crap, organised files, deleted crap, new AV running, using Firefox ... all running faster. Actually starting up first time and no crashes so far today.
Sounds good... maybe it like the 'Secret' all those positive vibes about champagne, diamonds etc. moved over to your computer.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:05 pm

I quite liked 'the Secret'... I saw the DVD recently.

There's a better series though, called The Law of Attraction which has a bit more intelligence to it.

I think the computer has to want to change though.....and then accept the good things into its life... If it never achieves acceptance, then it's never going to happen.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:24 pm
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

Come on now people. Let's revist the hostility in this thread. Take a look at this quite amusing video:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.