Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I need everyones opinion

I need everyones opinion

Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:44 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need everyones opinion

Originally Posted by Deancm
I wouldn't go to Germany for a weekend even if I was in Denmark. The food's terrible.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Burbage
I wouldn't go to Germany for a weekend even if I was in Denmark. The food's terrible.
But the beers great.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

The food's terrible.
Not the food I had - spatzle, all sorts of yummy wurst, some sort of potato cake thingy (pardon my lack of German terminology), breads, meats, ice cream sundaes (still think a replica German cafe in Melb would do well), mug of gluehwein walking around the Xmas markets
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:36 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Not the food I had - spatzle, all sorts of yummy wurst, some sort of potato cake thingy (pardon my lack of German terminology), breads, meats, ice cream sundaes (still think a replica German cafe in Melb would do well), mug of gluehwein walking around the Xmas markets
Me too

I loooove German food and especially love Germany at Xmas as they make lovely food and everyone eats and drinks far too much. It's very traditional at Xmas and no where [IMHO] beats Germany at Xmas

Potato cake, was it kartoffle puffas? [sp] They are like fried rosti made from potatoes & flour and sprinkled with sugar or apple sauce..ummmm...yummy
Old Jun 25th 2009, 9:01 pm
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

The food is not terrible at all but I wouldnt go either if I didnt have my entire family there
Old Jun 25th 2009, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Potato cake, was it kartoffle puffas? [sp] They are like fried rosti made from potatoes & flour and sprinkled with sugar or apple sauce..ummmm...yummy
Kartoffle - that's them. Fond memories of walking around the Koln markets eating them wrapped in paper. No sugar or apple tho - just as they came straight out of the fryer

Had a German friend who spent Xmas with us for many years and she always bought a bottle of sparkling red bubbly (Ukrainian?). Have looked for it here but alas no luck. Aaah memories
Old Jun 25th 2009, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

How ignorant.

Have you any idea how many Michelin starred restaurants they have?
Old Jun 25th 2009, 11:22 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

400 different names for things that you can do to a pig!
Old Jun 25th 2009, 11:22 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Kartoffle - that's them. Fond memories of walking around the Koln markets eating them wrapped in paper. No sugar or apple tho - just as they came straight out of the fryer

Had a German friend who spent Xmas with us for many years and she always bought a bottle of sparkling red bubbly (Ukrainian?). Have looked for it here but alas no luck. Aaah memories
That's them

Not sure what the wine is though? Can you remember the name?
Old Jun 25th 2009, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

We loved the food while were stationed there and my nephew who lives in Germany sends me Jager sauce which is great on veil shnitzel
Janet
Old Jun 25th 2009, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not sure what the wine is though? Can you remember the name?
I think it is:
http://images.google.com.au/imgres?i...a%3DN%26um%3D1
or perhaps Krimskoye.

It is such a deep colour of red. Commonly available in Germany. We would have it for breakfast on Xmas day. I have got the telephone no of a Russian deli here in Melb - going to ring them and see if they bring it in.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by FRAYNE
We loved the food while were stationed there and my nephew who lives in Germany sends me Jager sauce which is great on veil shnitzel
Janet
I used to love curry gewurtz ketchup - is that the same?

I think it is:
http://images.google.com.au/imgres?i...a%3DN%26um%3D1
or perhaps Krimskoye.

It is such a deep colour of red. Commonly available in Germany. We would have it for breakfast on Xmas day. I have got the telephone no of a Russian deli here in Melb - going to ring them and see if they bring it in.
Never heard of it, might give it a try if I find some

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Jun 25th 2009 at 11:40 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 11:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you telling them you're going? You don't want to get there and find everyone's gone away for the weekend
Old Jun 25th 2009, 11:44 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
400 different names for things that you can do to a pig!
Is this a bad thing???

German food is yum, and German hospitality is second to none... Nobody has mentioned Schnapps yet either??? Love the stuff

German applecakes, Leibkuchen... Stollen marzipan

Love it all
Hope you have a great weekend and get around all of your family before you collapse into the airline seat for your return trip to Melb!
Old Jun 25th 2009, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

I used to love curry gewurtz ketchup - is that the same?

Never hear of it, might give it a try if I find some
No curry ketchup isnt the same , we managed to get the curry ketchup from a market in Forster when we were up there on a german stall, Jager sauce is dehidrated and more like gravy lovely, on my last packet so will have to get some more sent over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.