I need a buddy!

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

DORE4 will become famous soon enough
Default I need a buddy!

Hi guys, moving to Perth in the next couple of months and going to be working as a GP in Baldavis.

Have never been to Australia before, let alone Perth or the suburbs. I'm moving with my family, partner and 2 girls aged 6 and 9 and am struggling with a number of things, choosing a nice part of town to live in, a good school for the kids and an estate agent that wants to rent me a place.... I'd also like to know what I should/could bring over from Blighty.

I wont take your advice for granted and will make sure that I buy you a beer or 2 in return, when we land!!

Any willing samaritans, please drop me a line.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need a buddy!

Bring everything, leave nothing. With regards schools and suburbs, whilst info on here is great it's all very personal and obviously no one knows you to the extent of being able to suggest a suburb for you. So take the info given and then wait until you get here and spend the first week or so driving around the area you 'have' to live in in order to get to work easily. Get on to the WA Education web site and check out all the schools that are in that area. School websites are a good way of judging the school - if it's up to date and full of info I believe it shows that the school is possibly better than one with out of date info. There are exceptions obviously.

The only real way to check out schools is to actually visit them. What one person considers brilliant for their child, another will hate it and believe their child is suffering. You, your partner and the children need to get a feel for a school.

You're unlikely to find a real estate agent who is able to help you whilst you're out of the country. Book yourself a short term holiday rental and you should be able to find a house to rent in the first couple of weeks.

Also check out the Meet Up Forum for any meets that may be happening. I know there are one or two on here who live in the Baldivis area, even if I haven't a clue where that is.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Moneypenny20, that's a great start!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Perth and as Moneypenny has said, bring as much as possible. It might be worth investing in some nice summer cloths while still in Blighty as my wife thinks the cloths here are expensive and not as good quality. Though do still bring some warm cloths as Perth at the moment in winter can be very wet (it gets more rainfall than London) and cold, especially at night.

Furnishings / household things i also think are not as good quality, but the style of furnishings here can be different as people tend to furnish their houses with a light and airie feel.

Cant help with schools as we dont have Children, but i would say live somewhere reasonably close to work. (Though i live 800km from work

We live in Dawesville which is south of the city near a place called Mandurah. We love it down there and the housing costs are a lot lower akllowing us to live next to the ocean in a decent sized house - something we couldnt do in Perth.

Would be happy to meet up for beer when you get here.

Good luck
Chris
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 5:33 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

:[/QUOTE]

Gday...from a Lancastrian...!! -ha.

I know Balvidis well and my best pommie friends lives there

If can help or fancy a beer or two on arrival let me know.

Dave
S Harbour
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 6:23 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DORE4
Hi guys, moving to Perth in the next couple of months and going to be working as a GP in Baldavis.

Have never been to Australia before, let alone Perth or the suburbs. I'm moving with my family, partner and 2 girls aged 6 and 9 and am struggling with a number of things, choosing a nice part of town to live in, a good school for the kids and an estate agent that wants to rent me a place.... I'd also like to know what I should/could bring over from Blighty.

I wont take your advice for granted and will make sure that I buy you a beer or 2 in return, when we land!!

Any willing samaritans, please drop me a line.
Make sure you get to know Perth's very own theme tune off by heart.

Old Jun 23rd 2010, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks a million guys really appreciate the guidance and the advice!
Any one else reading this thread, please feel free to add your pennies worth.

Old Aug 15th 2010, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

mrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to all

Hi.we Are in rockingham.which is a ten minute drive to baldivis.we have been here a year this month and are enjoying it.we've had our ups and downs here and tears and teenage tantrums but we think we have made the right decision.good luck with your move and let us know if u need any info on the area.our kids go to maranatha Christian college in Waikiki and are happy enough there.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mindblower
:
Gday...from a Lancastrian...!! -ha.

I know Balvidis well and my best pommie friends lives there

If can help or fancy a beer or two on arrival let me know.

Dave
S Harbour[/QUOTE]

Oi I thought that WE were your best pommie friends...

hmpph