Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I just got back from the Uk

I just got back from the Uk

Old May 2nd 2009, 2:27 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I just got back from the Uk

And guess what we having for dinner? Roast chicken with new season Jersey Royal potatoes... the finest food know to man....yippeee!!
Old May 2nd 2009, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

twhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud of

What about warm beer ? (And cold women ?)
Old May 2nd 2009, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
when i got back from my holiday in scotland , everything here tasted orrible, the meat tasted verrrrrrrryy dodgy, but the memory of the taste is fading again and everything is edible again Hopefully in another year i will be so brainwashed that i'll be saying how things are cheaper here (pmsl) and the pavements paved with gold.
Come on girl.You'll never belong there
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:08 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Stpo you're making us jealous

The biggest thing I miss is plain bread toasted with butter, plain bread is a Scottish thing and a must every time I go home.
ya bassa, i had just about forgot about that
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:12 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 2nd 2009, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
And the list of things missing from Oz has now grown....

Pringles with more than 3 or 4 flavours
Toffee crisps
Revels
Malteasers with nice chocolate and proper honeycomb center
Minstrals
finger of fudges
Scotch eggs
Sausage rolls with just sausage meat in them
Pork sausages you actually want to eat
Dime bars
Golden Grahams
Quavers
Hoola hoops.
Funny old world. Of all those foods available to me here in Britain, the only ones I eat (and thus would miss) are minstrels (very occasionally) and pork sausages (I do love a good sausage!!). I would miss "proper" Dairy Milk though, much as I know the purists say it's crap. I've never understood how a country who everyone knows lives on a diet of snags has never actually mastered making proper ones.....
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
And how about WARM freshly baked farmhouse loaf of bread currently 70p in Morrisons
There's an easy solution to that one. Buy a breadmaker or if you have the time and inclination, make your own. Tastes lovely and pays for itself in a couple of months. Whichever country you are in.
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:39 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: I just got back from the Uk

And how about WARM freshly baked farmhouse loaf of bread currently 70p in Morrisons... geez I must STOP buying it, i'll be fat as a house again
Especially as i have just put a chunk of cheddar cheese with pickled onions and chives on it
Morrisons' "freshly baked farmhouse loaf" is not genuinely fresh and has never seen the inside of a farmhouse or anything vaguely resembling it.

Much of their so-called "freshly baked" bread is merely mass-produced "bake-off" bread which is prepared and partly baked offsite by wholesalers, then frozen and sent to the stores, where staff shove it in an oven for a while and put it on display. (For example, in Wales, Morrisons' bake off bread is supplied by Popty Cae Groes). All the supermarkets do this; it's standard practice.

Some stores will have a "scratch bakery" (where bread is genuinely prepared and baked from scratch by properly trained staff) but for the most part, cost-cutting takes priority and a cheap, inferior product with a high markup is preferred. They can sell you a "freshly baked farmhouse loaf" for 70p because someone else has already made it for them at a fraction of the price.
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:44 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Morrisons' "freshly baked farmhouse loaf" is not genuinely fresh and has never seen the inside of a farmhouse or anything vaguely resembling it.

Much of their so-called "freshly baked" bread is merely mass-produced "bake-off" bread which is prepared and partly baked offsite by wholesalers, then frozen and sent to the stores, where staff shove it in an oven for a while and put it on display. (For example, in Wales, Morrisons' bake off bread is supplied by Popty Cae Groes). All the supermarkets do this; it's standard practice.

Some stores will have a "scratch bakery" (where bread is genuinely prepared and baked from scratch by properly trained staff) but for the most part, cost-cutting takes priority and a cheap, inferior product with a high markup is preferred. They can sell you a "freshly baked farmhouse loaf" for 70p because someone else has already made it for them at a fraction of the price.
aye, but what about my troozers?
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:45 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Ahhh..ok... i suggest you get on to the advertising standards people then as Dermot has been advertising on TV all week that their bread is is made from scratch and baked in store unlike other supermarkets, and i know the store i got it from bakes their own as i was watching them do it. And i really dont care that much either way as its still better and cheaper than the shite sold in Aus for double or triple the price... another slice me thinks
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:47 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Ahhh..ok... i suggest you get on to the advertising standards people then as Dermot has been advertising on TV all week that their bread is is made from scratch and baked in store unlike other supermarkets, and i know the store i got it from bakes their own as i was watching them do it. And i really dont care that much either way as its still better and cheaper than the shite sold in Aus for double or triple the price... another slice me thinks
so you walked in and caught them cooking oops baking the bread?
i want proof!
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:52 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by soapy©
so you walked in and caught them cooking oops baking the bread?
i want proof!
Noo! unless i was mistaken and they were just having a flour fight
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:53 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Noo! unless i was mistaken and they were just having a flour fight
ah so now your saying they were a bit light on the loafers?
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:54 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by soapy©
ah so now your saying they were a bit light on the loafers?

And a sandwich short of a picnic
Old May 2nd 2009, 7:44 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Makes me ill everytime I put a loaf in the trolly here, Sometimes the one I buy isn't on a buy 2 for $6 offer and I have to pay nearly $4 a loaf. Then there is the bar of chocolate at nearly $4 a bar, I just paid 27p for a bar in the UK and it was much nicer than any of the ones here. A finger of fudge cost me 12p!!!! Here if there was such a thing I'd imagine it would be as much as a small milkyway at about $1.

Another bigggg noticable difference, the day I left the UK the outside temp was 17 degrees, I got off the plane here and the exact same outside temp of 17! What a coincidence. Then I got home and the house was bloody freezing. I was never cold indoors for the whole 3 weeks back no matter what the temperature outside.

Did I mention, fudge and toffee or even butter tablet? All missing from here unless you spend all day looking for it and even then you wont find a butter tablet!

Rolo's! Theres another
Walnut whip!

(Just trying to remember all the stuff I pigged out on this last 3 weeks that is not here)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.