Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I just got back from the Uk

I just got back from the Uk

Old May 8th 2009, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I just got back from the Uk

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I disagree.

Perth ... the most integrated society in which I have lived.
true. Australia is paradise when it comes to integration thanks to selective migration policies, a smallish population and the space.

As I said, I feel for any council, government in the UK, Germany or France (examples) who have to deal with "multiculturalism" and there is no end to end.

Amercia is in the same boat. Watching Border Security on Channel 7 makes my hair stand up. It's unreal. I don't know how they cope with all their problems over there + guns.
Old May 8th 2009, 9:29 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Yes Solihull in the west mids. But no not from there, just lived near there and used to do my shopping there.
Ditto, lived near there too, Kings Norton. X
Old May 8th 2009, 9:52 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilgar
Where is the Spanish Quarter?
Whyalla ,s/aust They came in the 60,s to work in the steel mills..........mm
Old May 8th 2009, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
So...what does Liverpoo street smell like
Crap no doubt.
Old May 8th 2009, 11:18 am
Just Joined

tj49 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: I just got back from the Uk

FAGGOTS & PEAS
Old May 8th 2009, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
The differences are far more noticable. I think people forget and lower their standards after being here a while.
What I have done is maintain my standards and perhaps paid a little more. I am quite sure that others don't care.

I don't care about day-to-day wear but I am a window-licker went it comes to shirts (see below):

Originally Posted by sr71
I have a couple of Ralph Lauren Polo shirts that have lost shape, also one that was left outside to dry without being turned inside out and the sun has turned it from navy blue to a kind of purple.
BE tip of the year, folks.

I've got Next shirts that have shrunk a bit and are now a bit short in the body or sleeves.

Shirts from Pink or Hawes & Curtis that are only a couple of months old but the collars have worn through already.
I had some Next shirts that failed very, very quickly - guess what - after an Australian summer.

Ahh...Hawes & Curtis..rings a bell.

Hildritch & Key (might have linked in the wrong mob there) make a good shirt.
Thomas Pink succumbed to the mass market years ago. There's a mob in Cirencester, Glos which does good shirts.
Old May 8th 2009, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
What I have done is maintain my standards and perhaps paid a little more. I am quite sure that others don't care.
My other Cousin that arrived here....(the first to arrives, brother) Was always banging on about standards and maintaining them. He was an unhappy chappy for years and years. One way it did affect him, was almost comical to his Pioneering younger Brother and I. He bought a big 4 bedroom house, in Gladstone Park (Eddie McGuires stomping ground) Only to realise after a few months that it was in the Municipality of Hume... in other words Broadmeadows was nearby. He really did like the house, He liked his neighbours, the school at the time was fine, but he couldnt bear telling people that he lived near Broady. So he upped and moved to Wantirna, to an almost exact clone of a house, only a lot further from work.

He would have had a field day with Arkon, whom I now suspect could well be his soul brother C&A and M&S were constant topics of conversation at his house. He still has to go to Fortnum and Mason, Harrods and Liberty's every time he goes back.

I admit to stirring him cruelly everytime he got on his high horse, by chatting about our relative jobs in Shipping. Him at Felixstowe as a customs agent and me in a Shipbrokers in the City
Old May 8th 2009, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
yes, you are privileged. Australia is always raving about multiculturalism, but you have to go back to the UK or any other European country to see and feel what multiculturalism is all about. It just blows you away. All respect to those governments who have to deal with the problems that come with it. Here in OZ, a few boat people are a big deal.
No, you go to Europe, in particular the UK, to see a bizarre failed social experiment and to see multiculturalism done wrong. they are totally incomparable IMO. Melbourne and Sydney are largely built from immigrants - much like New York, another famous melting pot.

I work in an office with a representative from the Indian, Italian, Greek, UK, NZ, Turkish, French, American, Pakistani, Vietnamese, Filipino, Chinese, Serbian communities and this is pretty common in Australia. In the UK it was mostly English with a token black and/or British Asian member of staff.

I can go out at lunch and eat pretty much any cuisine I want, usually cooked by immigrants from that country - incredibly multicultural.
Old May 8th 2009, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
My other Cousin that arrived here....(the first to arrives, brother) Was always banging on about standards and maintaining them. He was an unhappy chappy for years and years. One way it did affect him, was almost comical to his Pioneering younger Brother and I. He bought a big 4 bedroom house, in Gladstone Park (Eddie McGuires stomping ground) Only to realise after a few months that it was in the Municipality of Hume... in other words Broadmeadows was nearby. He really did like the house, He liked his neighbours, the school at the time was fine, but he couldnt bear telling people that he lived near Broady. So he upped and moved to Wantirna, to an almost exact clone of a house, only a lot further from work.

He would have had a field day with Arkon, whom I now suspect could well be his soul brother C&A and M&S were constant topics of conversation at his house. He still has to go to Fortnum and Mason, Harrods and Liberty's every time he goes back.

I admit to stirring him cruelly everytime he got on his high horse, by chatting about our relative jobs in Shipping. Him at Felixstowe as a customs agent and me in a Shipbrokers in the City
I know a family here that are into all that. Often it is not that great anyhow. I would not be seen 'dead' in M&S - ok not a disaster - but it does have that connotation of someone who is not as rough as guts but is a bit of a wannabe.

When I talk about maintaining standards, I don't mean 'standards'. I mean I am happy with what I can buy, and where I want a good shirt, I just dig deeper. There are high-end Australian manufacturers I would buy from. I buy 1 good shirt rather than 3 cheap ones. That's my philosophy. Infact we had relatives over who thought we were quite scruffy - just the way we want it..
Old May 8th 2009, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, you go to Europe, in particular the UK, to see a bizarre failed social experiment and to see multiculturalism done wrong. they are totally incomparable IMO. Melbourne and Sydney are largely built from immigrants - much like New York, another famous melting pot.

I work in an office with a representative from the Indian, Italian, Greek, UK, NZ, Turkish, French, American, Pakistani, Vietnamese, Filipino, Chinese, Serbian communities and this is pretty common in Australia. In the UK it was mostly English with a token black and/or British Asian member of staff.

I can go out at lunch and eat pretty much any cuisine I want, usually cooked by immigrants from that country - incredibly multicultural.
In the city of London, various banks were very public school. You'd go to an interview and told you were the right sort of person. Read - thick as sh*t, like me, but a good bloke.

Here in Melbourne, you might find yourself the only Skip/Pom on the team.
In my working experience Melbourne is far more multi-cultural.
Old May 14th 2009, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Location: Just moved back to the East Coast - living on the Nambucca
missmileyselina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shiels
Ditto, lived near there too, Kings Norton. X
I am from Bromsgrove, nice to see a fellow Brummie on here :0)
Old May 14th 2009, 10:44 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missmileyselina
Theres quite a few of us!!! X
Old May 14th 2009, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shiels
Theres quite a few of us!!! X

oooh...oooh...me too!!!
Old May 19th 2009, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

Location: Just moved back to the East Coast - living on the Nambucca
missmileyselina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TraceyW
oooh...oooh...me too!!!

Yay go the Brummies lol

How is sunny Devon Tracey? R u planning on migrating to Oz? My parents moved from Worcestershire to Cornwall and then to Oz

And do you know many Brummies in Qld shiels? I know of two others in the NT!
Old May 19th 2009, 3:11 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yay go the Brummies lol

How is sunny Devon Tracey? R u planning on migrating to Oz? My parents moved from Worcestershire to Cornwall and then to Oz

And do you know many Brummies in Qld shiels? I know of two others in the NT!
TraceyW is just back and loving it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.