Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I have seen some awful Oz houses but is this the worst?!

Wikiposts

I have seen some awful Oz houses but is this the worst?!

Old Nov 17th 2006, 8:38 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have seen some awful Oz houses but is this the worst?!

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
LOL, not at all! The house is rather intimidating at first glance, but that is partly the result of the odd shape and the ever-present brick.

These are not insurmountable.......

Just a few ideas...

Right Vash when you get to Adelaide and I get to Melbourne, you are coming round for decorating tips. Just don't be wearing your Lawrence LLewyllyn Bowen suit (the one that gets you beat up regular in Walsall)!
Old Nov 17th 2006, 9:07 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
The interior could be made more palatable in the short term with some brightly coloured wall hangings (tapestries are good for this, though you could also use large floor rugs) and some large curtains.
Notice that the brick wall no longer looks so heavy and overbearing.
The kitchen is very functional, with plenty of space; it merely requires some wall cupboards and the intelligent use of sensible colours. The current decor is too cold and unappetising
Just a few ideas...
Vash what are you saying?!! wall hangings?!! and i couldn't wait to get rid of the brick fireplace in my current house - to me exposed brickwork always looks like you are looking at an exterior wall!!

And as for the kitchen - please rip it out and start again!!!

You definitely should try a career as an ozzie estate agent!!!

Tiggs
Old Nov 17th 2006, 9:09 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wsbtroyno21
Hey we live in the ACT.......that's out bloody house........

I knew someone would claim it as their own!!
Old Nov 18th 2006, 12:06 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: I have seen some awful Oz houses but is this the worst?!

Originally Posted by thewoodz
oooh get you - not been swallowed up in spirit then by Walsall

you been talking to an estate agent or do you moonlight
Originally Posted by curly
New career as................................................ .....................................

Vash the house doctor
Well, my mother used to be a real estate agent and is now a property investor. She has also renovated many houses in her time... so I like to think I've picked up a few tips here and there.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 12:07 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: I have seen some awful Oz houses but is this the worst?!

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
Vash what are you saying?!! wall hangings?!! and i couldn't wait to get rid of the brick fireplace in my current house - to me exposed brickwork always looks like you are looking at an exterior wall!!
Nowt wrong with wall hangings, provided that they're tasteful! A pure silk rug would look very classy. But you could try pictures instead, I suppose.

And I have seen plenty of houses with an interior brick "feature wall" which sets off the rest of the room quite nicely. It's also very practical if the loungeroom contains a wood fire (as this one does).

And as for the kitchen - please rip it out and start again!!!
You could, but it would cost a fortune. I am aiming at an affordable revamp here - not "Let's spend almost as much redecorating as we did to buy the thing".

You definitely should try a career as an ozzie estate agent!!!

Tiggs
Believe it or not, the idea has occurred to me more than once...
Old Nov 18th 2006, 12:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

All it needs is the outside tidying up, the interior walls plastered and it would be fab. I like it A bit more comfy furniture and I reckon it would be the dogs whatsits.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

was it just me or did the bedroom walls look like they had been taken from a public toilet?!
please buy it. so homes like that are off the market by the time we get there
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:44 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I especially liked the fact that the kitchen is described as being 'snazzy'

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1163799708

Tiggs

kinda looks like a jail
Old Nov 18th 2006, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

i liked it, but then i am lodging at my sons till i leave so anything would look good to me..lol
Old Nov 18th 2006, 9:08 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Originally Posted by lollyno1
i liked it, but then i am lodging at my sons till i leave so anything would look good to me..lol
ah the joys of staying with relatives!
Old Nov 18th 2006, 9:25 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps they were trying for the rustic look - exposed stone/brickwork. What they probably forgot was that the exposed brickword/stone tends to only work and is for brick/stonework that is old, old being more than 100 years old, not older than 10 years. I have seen a few houses in Canberra that have exposed 'brick work' but not to that extent. mmmmm
Old Nov 18th 2006, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

ah the joys of staying with relatives!

oh tell me about it....daughter in law spent my first week here out every night till gone midnight..son went to watch match last night, had a few beers and world war 111 has broken out in the house, my youngest scarpered to his nans for the night, i went to my mates till gone 12, he had to throw me out, and now shes walked out in her pj's to her mates...

dont u just love it..

id move into that house in a heartbeat, well id live in a garage if i could get past the junk.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 11:02 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Tiggs
You read it wrong - if you say snazzy in an Aussy accent it actually sounds like 'shitty'
Old Nov 19th 2006, 7:11 am
sneaking a peek ...

Originally Posted by wargod
You read it wrong - if you say snazzy in an Aussy accent it actually sounds like 'shitty'
pmsl
got to send you some K for that!!!

Tiggs
Old Nov 19th 2006, 7:21 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Tiggs
i know i am going to get slaughtered for this but i like it..

aston

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.