Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I have seen some awful Oz houses but is this the worst?!

Wikiposts

I have seen some awful Oz houses but is this the worst?!

Old Nov 17th 2006, 9:59 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have seen some awful Oz houses but is this the worst?!

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Well, the decor is rubbish - but the house itself beats nine kinds of hell out of the average home in my area. (Not that Walsall has ever been a great place for real estate...)

So no, I wouldn't say this is the worst I've seen. In fact, once you've looked past the decor and the bizarre exterior, you begin to realise that it's pretty damn good.

It just needs a bit of warmth to make it more liveable - which could be mostly achieved by a lick of paint here and there.

Dear God in Heaven Vash....your unending good taste has just come unstuck. What are you thinking? The bedrooms look like prison .... are you typing from a HMP facility??
Old Nov 17th 2006, 10:24 am
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Dear God in Heaven Vash....your unending good taste has just come unstuck. What are you thinking? The bedrooms look like prison .... are you typing from a HMP facility??

Well I Like It and I thinks I will take two please!
Old Nov 17th 2006, 10:26 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: I have seen some awful Oz houses but is this the worst?!

Originally Posted by busterboy
LOL, not at all! The house is rather intimidating at first glance, but that is partly the result of the odd shape and the ever-present brick.

These are not insurmountable.

The exterior will look better once it is jazzed up with a bit of paint, some trailing vines (or creepers) and a couple of nice small trees or large bushes out the front. Good quality rendering would be another option, but only if you had the cash for it.

The interior could be made more palatable in the short term with some brightly coloured wall hangings (tapestries are good for this, though you could also use large floor rugs) and some large curtains. A long term solution would consist of some well-placed gyprock sheets (resulting in smooth interior walls) which could then be painted or otherwise customised to suit.

For an example of the difference it would make, consider this picture. Notice that the brick wall no longer looks so heavy and overbearing. Why? Because you already have that nice carpet on the floor and lovely warm wood on the ceiling... AND a terrific wide built-in wardrobe with cream-coloured doors.

This breaks up the expanse of brick and gives the eye some relief from the monotony of colour. It also brightens up the room considerably, not least because it receives the full benefit of the sunlight through the door. That is precisely the effect that gyprock would have if slapped over the bare brick and painted.

Now imagine a bright pair of curtains with a couple of wide sashes placed across the doorway. They would look terrific in the morning sun when closed, and would conceal some of the brick on either side when open.

Similar results could be achieved in this room by replacing the blind with long curtains, re-positioning the bed so that it faced the wardrobe and ran parallel to the window (possibly also pushing it into the corner to maximise space). The wardrobe itself needs an overhaul (not too difficult with a bit of paint) and the walls need treatment (see my previous suggestions on this) but there's not much else to do.

The kitchen is very functional, with plenty of space; it merely requires some wall cupboards and the intelligent use of sensible colours. The current decor is too cold and unappetising; again, the use of red would be a good move here, perhaps contrasted against cream or earth tones. Alternatively, you could simply buff it back to the bare wood and varnish with tung oil or Estapol. This would look very smart against the white benchtop, and provide that much-needed warmth.

Just a few ideas...

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Nov 17th 2006 at 10:29 am.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 10:27 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: I have seen some awful Oz houses but is this the worst?!

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
I especially liked the fact that the kitchen is described as being 'snazzy'

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1163799708

Tiggs
It is definitely snazzy, but snazzy is not always a good thing.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 10:29 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, not at all! The house is rather intimidating at first glance, but that is partly the result of the odd shape and the ever-present brick.

The exterior will look better once it is jazzed up with a bit of paint, some trailing vines (or creepers) and a couple of nice small trees or large bushes out the front. Good quality rendering would be another option, but only if you had the cash for it.

The interior could be made more palatable in the short term with some brightly coloured wall hangings (tapestries are good for this, though you could also use large floor rugs) and some large curtains. A long term solution would consist of some well-placed gyprock sheets (resulting in smooth interior walls) which could then be painted or otherwise customised to suit.

For an example of the difference it would make, consider this picture. Notice that the brick wall no longer looks so heavy and overbearing. Why? Because you already have that nice carpet on the floor and lovely warm wood on the ceiling... AND a terrific wide built-in wardrobe with cream-coloured doors.

This breaks up the expanse of brick and gives the eye some relief from the monotony of colour. It also brightens up the room considerably, not least because it receives the full benefit of the sunlight through the door. Now imagine a bright pair of curtains with a couple of wide sashes placed across the doorway. They would look terrific in the morning sun when closed, and would conceal some of the brick on either side when open.

Similar results could be achieved in this room by replacing the blind with long curtains, re-positioning the bed so that it faced the wardrobe and ran parallel to the window (possibly also pushing it into the corner to maximise space). The wardrobe itself needs an overhaul (not too difficult with a bit of paint) and the walls need treatment (see my previous suggestions on this) but there's not much else to do.

The kitchen is very functional, with plenty of space; it merely requires some wall cupboards and the intelligent use of sensible colours. The current decor is too cold and unappetising; again, the use of red would be a good move here, perhaps contrasted against cream or earth tones. Alternatively, you could simply buff it back to the bare wood and varnish with tung oil or Estapol. This would look very smart against the white benchtop, and provide that much-needed warmth.

Just a few ideas...
oooh get you - not been swallowed up in spirit then by Walsall
you been talking to an estate agent or do you moonlight
Old Nov 17th 2006, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

This breaks up the expanse of brick and gives the eye some relief from the monotony of colour. It also brightens up the room considerably, not least because it receives the full benefit of the sunlight through the door. That is precisely the effect that gyprock would have if slapped over the bare brick and painted.

Now imagine a bright pair of curtains with a couple of wide sashes placed across the doorway. They would look terrific in the morning sun when closed, and would conceal some of the brick on either side when open.

Just a few ideas...
New career as................................................ .....................................

Vash the house doctor
Old Nov 17th 2006, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Well, the decor is rubbish - but the house itself beats nine kinds of hell out of the average home in my area. (Not that Walsall has ever been a great place for real estate...)

So no, I wouldn't say this is the worst I've seen. In fact, once you've looked past the decor and the bizarre exterior, you begin to realise that it's pretty damn good.

It just needs a bit of warmth to make it more liveable - which could be mostly achieved by a lick of paint here and there.
I thought there were some very nice aspects to the house ie the veranda, the fireplace and the openness of the living area, but the shape of the house means a few of the rooms have awkward dimensions.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Christ, I've seen far worse.

it just needs a bit of redecorating that's all. There's a few things which would be hard but if the price was right..
Old Nov 17th 2006, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Just a few ideas...
I've seen a fair few houses with brick walls which providing have natural light and good fixtures and fittings are great.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

errr...I'd like to add..I didn't see all the pictures. Only one of the bedrooms. The rest look like S&M chambers.

it is highly unusual, and yes, it would put some people off. The exterior too.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 11:57 am
It's got to be purple....

wsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
I especially liked the fact that the kitchen is described as being 'snazzy'

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1163799708

Tiggs

Hey we live in the ACT.......that's out bloody house........

Lol.....just kidding.....but I really don't think you can say its the worse house in Australia.....I have seen a helluva lot worse than that. It's just an awkward design and inside needs some changes made to the walls and decor.

Wendy
Old Nov 17th 2006, 12:09 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wsbtroyno21
Hey we live in the ACT.......that's out bloody house........

Lol.....just kidding.....but I really don't think you can say its the worse house in Australia.....I have seen a helluva lot worse than that. It's just an awkward design and inside needs some changes made to the walls and decor.

Wendy
You're oven would look good in it, if you operate it that is.

Old Nov 17th 2006, 2:14 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Bar the awful decor and the expance of brickwork - I don't mind it at all.

I like the shape, though getting your furniture to fit in might be a problem.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 4:57 pm
It's got to be purple....

wsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
You're oven would look good in it, if you operate it that is.

PMSL........ not my fault I don't know which knob to fiddle with
Old Nov 17th 2006, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

A Round house...hmm!!!
Bedrooms look more like prison blocks.
But someone will buy this rather strange looking house

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.