Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I got my Visa - help needed selling the house to move

Wikiposts

I got my Visa - help needed selling the house to move

Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I got my Visa - help needed selling the house to move

Had a false start with the first EA so wasted a month.
Been with second EA about 9 weeks and have had 4 viewings, you have to be on their backs constantly, loads of 3 bed semi's on market.
We are in the position that cat goes to shipper 14th july, i leave for adelaide on 27th july and keith is staying until house sells.

Get them out to tell you whats wrong, dropping the price too often gives the i am desperate measure, get them to retake the photo's and put you in the paper more often.

If you change EA smaller agencies or very new agencies could get the results your after.

Best of luck Mick and everyone still waiting for that offer.

Ali x
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downies
Go for a smaller agent - they are more hungry!

If you are anywhere near me try Adams - do a flat fee and really earn it.

As a last resort there are companies who will buy your house under market value for speed - they value it and give you less than that, mad isnt it!
Yes I agree. We had our house on the market with Reeds Rains for just under 4 months and not even a viewing so we changed to a small local agent and within about 3 weeks we had had 2 viewings and an offer. Just keeping our fingers crossed now it all goes through as they are cash buyers and want settlement in the middle of July
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Richard4 is an unknown quantity at this point

borrow 5-10 grand on the mortgage then rent it out. the repayments will only be 50 -100 quid extra (depending on your current mortgage) then rent out with rent covering the lot. lets you get there and set up then sort out selling..
Old Jun 28th 2006, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Hiya mIck

was gonna suggest the 'House Doctor@ approach but see that's already been mentioned. Might be worth going through the house again tho...maybe get a neighbour or friend round and ask them to be REAL honest about the house.

Just put mine on the market, yet to get visa!!! :scared: , and Mrs Cee found a new EA from OUT of the area who brought round a potential mug, sorry, vendor the NEXT day. OK, they didn't make an offer but at least we've had a positive start.

Seems that people from the immediate area want to move AWAY from the area they're currently living in.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Good luck mate

Andy
Old Jun 28th 2006, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

How far away are you from the university and hospitals? Or are you on transport routes?

Make up your own posters and put them on noticeboards at these places. Contact the human resources places and ask them where the best place is to put the posters up, and also if they have an intranet that the ad could go on.

Also write some small hand-written cards and put them in the window of various post-offices/shops.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 8:41 pm
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: I got my Visa - help needed selling the house to move

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
How far away are you from the university and hospitals? Or are you on transport routes?

Make up your own posters and put them on noticeboards at these places. Contact the human resources places and ask them where the best place is to put the posters up, and also if they have an intranet that the ad could go on.

Also write some small hand-written cards and put them in the window of various post-offices/shops.
Thanks to everyone for their advice

Have put in new carpets (Biege) throughout the upstairs and dressed the box room as a bedroom.
Throughout all of Downstairs is expensive laminate flooring that goes really well with the modern Handmade beach kitchen.
I have arranged 2 viewings myself with people I know who are intersted. (one of them my best mate from school).
They said they love the house and have both sold theirs - but think they are playing on our desperation hoping we lower the price further (NO CHANCE).
Gatesheads Main Hospital - Queen Elizabeth is about half a mile away. 2 Universities Newcastle and Northumbria approx 3miles away. Europes largest shopping Mall the Metrocentre is 3 miles away.

It has quite a few selling points due to the plus the fact there are no busy roads and plenty of greenbelt land and countryside surrounding the property.

Ah well - wait and see - one more summer in my garden and by the time we sell and get to Oz it should be hotting up in brisbane.... could be worse.

I really need to quit my Job - so wish that I could I bloody hate it and want away.........

Thanks again for the brilliant advice everyone.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mick_newcastle
Thanks to everyone for their advice

Have put in new carpets (Biege) throughout the upstairs and dressed the box room as a bedroom.
Throughout all of Downstairs is expensive laminate flooring that goes really well with the modern Handmade beach kitchen.
I have arranged 2 viewings myself with people I know who are intersted. (one of them my best mate from school).
They said they love the house and have both sold theirs - but think they are playing on our desperation hoping we lower the price further (NO CHANCE).
Gatesheads Main Hospital - Queen Elizabeth is about half a mile away. 2 Universities Newcastle and Northumbria approx 3miles away. Europes largest shopping Mall the Metrocentre is 3 miles away.

It has quite a few selling points due to the plus the fact there are no busy roads and plenty of greenbelt land and countryside surrounding the property.

Ah well - wait and see - one more summer in my garden and by the time we sell and get to Oz it should be hotting up in brisbane.... could be worse.

I really need to quit my Job - so wish that I could I bloody hate it and want away.........

Thanks again for the brilliant advice everyone.

Having seen your advert i was impressed with it reasonable price photos look good and description good i should think it will sell soon.
Good luck, how does the garden look and neighbouring properties ? If they all are well kept then there is no reason why it should not sell quickly.
Mandy
Old Jun 28th 2006, 10:53 pm
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: I got my Visa - help needed selling the house to move

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Having seen your advert i was impressed with it reasonable price photos look good and description good i should think it will sell soon.
Good luck, how does the garden look and neighbouring properties ? If they all are well kept then there is no reason why it should not sell quickly.
Mandy
Thanks Mandy I need all the encouragement at the moment
Gardens are great - I have 2 large trees in mine

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...a_n=1&tr_t=buy
Old Jun 28th 2006, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mandy I need all the encouragement at the moment
Gardens are great - I have 2 large trees in mine

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...a_n=1&tr_t=buy

Garden does look good, better than mine. We are still doing our house up though so we will get the garden done last.
i shall keep my fingers crossed for you that it sells quick and at a price you are happy with
Mandy
Old Jun 29th 2006, 3:12 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

hmm - trying not to post negative but i had a quick look on www.houseprices.co.uk which lists actual sale prices and if you check some of the streets around you then it looks as if maybe you are a bit overpriced?

Of course this depends on all sorts of things (our house for example will look overpriced in comparison to those around us as we have a large kitchen extension) and maybe other houses needed work doing to them etc.

I know that we all need to get as much as we can to fund our moves but generally if you want a quick sale your price needs to be lower than those around you - if you need the higher price then you have to sit tight and wait for the buyer who loves your house and is prepared to pay more.

sorry to be negative - on the +ve side i love your kitchen it looks gorgeous!
Adele
Old Jul 5th 2006, 4:00 am
One of Big G's girls.

Loubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to behold

Hi Mick
any news on the house yet? Sorry if you've posted and I've missed it. Just to keep you feeling positive - we've exchanged today, so it can and will happen for you as well. We've had 6 months of selling, falling through at the last minute and grief up until exchange this morning, but we're now on our way - flights booked for 25 July.
Like you, we've had the visas for a while and I have often thought that we would never sell the house. Its a long, frustrating process but hang in there. It'll happen soon. Good Luck and give us an update.
Lou
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:29 pm
Sharks out of the Pool

Originally Posted by Loubags
Hi Mick
any news on the house yet? Sorry if you've posted and I've missed it. Just to keep you feeling positive - we've exchanged today, so it can and will happen for you as well. We've had 6 months of selling, falling through at the last minute and grief up until exchange this morning, but we're now on our way - flights booked for 25 July.
Like you, we've had the visas for a while and I have often thought that we would never sell the house. Its a long, frustrating process but hang in there. It'll happen soon. Good Luck and give us an update.
Lou
Had accepted an offer - in fact It was my best mate from school - took £144k the minimum we wanted and have thrown in about 5 grands worth of stuff in for him. Just want away now - Estate agent reckons it will go through in 6 weeks. He is sold subject to contract so hopefully every thing will be ok from now on in. Waiting now for him to book a surveyor and have the land searches to be done. SO fingers crossed.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:09 pm
One of Big G's girls.

Loubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to behold

Had accepted an offer - in fact It was my best mate from school - took £144k the minimum we wanted and have thrown in about 5 grands worth of stuff in for him. Just want away now - Estate agent reckons it will go through in 6 weeks. He is sold subject to contract so hopefully every thing will be ok from now on in. Waiting now for him to book a surveyor and have the land searches to be done. SO fingers crossed.
Great news. Hope it goes through quickly for you. Will keep fingers crossed that you'll soon be celebrating.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 9:30 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Where abouts in Gateshead are you Mick? I'm from the Fell.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:05 am
Sharks out of the Pool

Originally Posted by walla
Where abouts in Gateshead are you Mick? I'm from the Fell.
Windy Nook mate - god bless Low Fell Victorias still a canny bar.