Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I cannot believe Oz is as bad as this.

I cannot believe Oz is as bad as this.

Old Jan 15th 2007, 5:42 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I cannot believe Oz is as bad as this.

Originally Posted by Exile
I never quite understand this accusation of "blaming the country". Most people who are unhappy here will admit that they have screwed up. Why does explaining what you don't like and pointing out real problems amount to "blaming the country". I think there are a few too many hyper-sensitive people on here.

As with the UK, people are entitled to point out what they don't like. But often these posters are under the foolish assumption that those things wont happen here. Going back to the OP, I also thought crime rates would be lower here (because the sun shines?). My illusions were shattered when one month after I arrived a girl was murdered on her way home from the local pub in an affluent, peaceful area about 3km from here, and her body left on the local primary school playing field.

I agree with you about some of the really bitter and abusive stuff, but for the most part I think the people who post negative stuff are just calling it like they see it and trying to offer the benefit of their experience to temper people's expectations with reality. There are many people on here who want to pretend this reality doesn't exist.

It always amazes me how people feel so threatened by the negative posts, and see the forum as being invaded by a vocal minority of whingers or people with an agenda to run down Australia. I see it as a forum full of overly positive stuff, with occasional negative posts that add a touch of reality. I think a healthier attitude is to take note of the negatives, and take the rose-tinted stuff with a truckload of salt.
You are one of a few on here who seem to understand what I was thinking or trying to say.
I have been to Australia, was verbally attacked in a nasty way with my wife and 2 kids in the car. My brother has been there for years as I said. I read the papers and ffs I know what goes on. I was merely pointing out how bad I thought it had become in the U.K and wondered if it was as bad in Australia regarding the crime rate. I was not saying no-one does drugs,gets raped or murdered.

On another note I am not leaving the U.K because I think Australia is utopia or I hate the U.K.
For the last few months I have actually been questioning wether or not we will go.
as I have said before and others have pointed out we all have different reasons for wanting to go, what is wrong with that?
Old Jan 15th 2007, 6:48 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
He he he, you're right about Beirut - in parts any way. I went to the grammar school for a few years, and us middle-class kids in our blazers got the same bus as the locals... it was a bit of an eyeopener! When we went to the chippy at lunch time the local yobs threw stones at us... fond memories!
I used to love throwing stones at the grammar school kids.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hopefull
First sensible post i have seen on the entire forum, it's usually returning to the UK cause it's ---too hot----house has no central heating--- cant get decent sausages.

Point that Sassenach makes is that there are holes in every country and if you live in one of those dumps then move, but moving to another country wont always solve your problems.

i.e. If you hate the hussle and bussle of living in a city but cant relieve the stress cause the cities are violent at night after work---then move to the country or by the sea---same applies to most countries in the world.
Moving in your own country first,yes it is an expensive lesson to travel 12.000 mile awy anf fing that what your getting isn't what you were sold.This country needs more soul.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I used to love throwing stones at the grammar school kids.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 7:46 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Old Jan 15th 2007, 11:45 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Can I join in please

Old Jan 16th 2007, 12:28 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Loving this thread ...

How about we form an offshoot? The British Expats Nationalist Party ...

Jesus wept ...
Old Jan 16th 2007, 7:20 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
What about peeps who have been there and wish to go back for good, have loads of family there so have firm foundations to their opinions of Australia and the good and the bad!

Can't categorize everyone into rose tinters and bitters, it don't work that way!
Lots on here have very high expectations of Australia and/or wish to escape something. A few know what they're in for. Some have came and found out it's not for them, others love it! Some are here just to wind up. Some are here not a british nor an expat just wanting to fill their time chatting with others, (can recall one bloke got chased off for being a troll as he didn't want to move to Aus, just started a thread about yorkshire, which some overly sensitive peeps got very involved in).
Hopefully the majority of people on here will learn the pros and cons of moving and gain an insight into the stress and problems moving to the other side of the world can cause.
Would hate to think I was going into emigrating with my eyes closed. As it won't be easy and life will probably be different (not better) once we get there!
sorry! wasn't lumping people into brackets. i was only really referring to people at the extreme sides of the debate, although that wasn't clear from my post
Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future

We all just want to live some where, where we believe we can be happy. For some the move to oz doesn't work and that is sad. If you are not happier in oz - seek it back in the UK or Canada or wherever. For the lucky few who find that the adventure and the family all work. Great. So far that's us and I hope it remains so...but there is no set in stone.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 3:26 am

Debbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura about

Lets just say there are 50 million people live in the uk and for arguments sake 10% are criminals thats 5 million of the scrotes. In oz there are 20 million people and 10% of them are criminals thats 2 million scrotes.

Then take into consideration that oz is about 15 times the size of the uk ( just a guess) so all the scroates are spread further apart.

I know where i feel safer
Old Jan 17th 2007, 6:23 am
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

"Well said G....for god sake people shit happens in other countrys....Perth has been hitting the head lines a lot recently....America has guns....and??????....drive by shootings in Notts...hhhmmm not just random believe me...It boils down to one thing be a responsible human being...stay away from drugs and you will have a happy safe life anywere in the world....all this moving for the sake of my kids is bollox...Britian has one of the best educational systems in the world...Your lifes must be sooo bad if you think moving countrys will make you the happiest people alive....Living in a different country is good...but look hard at the reasons you are doing it...Britain r.i.p is a stupid thing to say....we are leading the world in so many things."

I don't normally respond to individuals now, but.....NO, moving to Aus for my kids education is not "bollox" matey, if there is any "bollox" going on,
it's your statement on Britain’s educational system, now that's bollox.
The education system over there has been pulled apart by the ar$ewipe PC lobby. whoever came up with the tests for primary schools should be strung up. The system does not provide one bit of assistance to new pupils that have come from other areas of the EU. No access to extra English lessons, or anything like that, no, there are just dumped into the class and teachers are expected to just carry on ! Meanwhile, the pupils that have been putting in the extra effort, just get left to there own devices. Now, this is just not my "personal" experience, but I happen to know more than one teacher that can back this up, as well as quite a few "irate" parents too.

As for my life, well it was not bad, just the state of the city and country that I had been calling home all my life was the bit that pi$$ed me off.

So, I'll happily say it again, UK RIP and my prime reason for leaving, simply because it had become a $h*thole

Your right about one thing though, UK is leading the world at something, it's called illegal immigration, and most of it just happens to be coming it's way. :curse:

Oh, one other thing, to all the people thinking of coming here because you are "fedup " with the UK, don't be ashamed of that reason, it's not a "stupid" reason as some makeout on here. Just do the obvious, get yourselfs out for a holiday first, have a look around some of the cities, and chat to the locals and anyone else that you can get some decend info from. Then read this site and it will all be a lot clearer.

Oh, and don't be affraid of the crime, it is no where near as bad as it is in London, let alone the rest of the UK..........oh f**k, that's blown it. I've just made a statement based on "personal experience" of living in London of just over a year ago, how stupid of me to start making judgments via personal experiences, and not using the book of "la la land" or "Living the rural experience in Britian"
Old Jan 17th 2007, 6:46 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debbie Jo
Lets just say there are 50 million people live in the uk and for arguments sake 10% are criminals thats 5 million of the scrotes. In oz there are 20 million people and 10% of them are criminals thats 2 million scrotes.

Then take into consideration that oz is about 15 times the size of the uk ( just a guess) so all the scroates are spread further apart.

I know where i feel safer
Without sounding too rude, You just havn't got a clue. It might be 15 times bigger but most of it is desert. Those 20 million and 2 million scrotes live in just a handfull of cities that hug the coast. Re do your calculations taking into account the real world density of population once you exclude the desert and all the blank bits in between everywhere.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 7:50 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Without sounding too rude, You just havn't got a clue. It might be 15 times bigger but most of it is desert. Those 20 million and 2 million scrotes live in just a handfull of cities that hug the coast. Re do your calculations taking into account the real world density of population once you exclude the desert and all the blank bits in between everywhere.
Come on mate we've all seen Wolf Creek everyone knows the real scroats live west of the black stump
Old Jan 17th 2007, 7:55 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Come on mate we've all seen Wolf Creek everyone knows the real scroats live west of the black stump
Well they clearly must do, either that or my town with a population of 20k is also made up of a couple of million scoats.

The amount of people that say things like "there must be more choice/variety/diversity " because the country is bigger is amazing. Once you ignore the vast middle of nothingness and the vast stretches of no population between towns and cities, I find it really hard to believe the actual population density here is better than the UK.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 7:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Is that the same as north of Gympie? (please imagine rolleyes smilie at this point)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.